• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo Wheel

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The Porsche 911 Turbo wheel is an exact replica of the real wheel and comes with hand stitched leather and wireless technology for unrestricted racing fun. The pedals and choice of gear box round up the exclusive package. The gearbox is available as either 6+1 speed H-pattern gear stick or a sequential version.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

knowledge123

It seems as if you got the beta unit, as I did ?

There are changes that the final unit had that the beta doesn't, such as a plate (1kg, iirc) in the pedals, so it doesn't shift at all.

Good review though :toast:

Darksaber

Staff member
Software Windows 10 Home
It seems as if you got the beta unit, as I did ?

There are changes that the final unit had that the beta doesn't, such as a plate (1kg, iirc) in the pedals, so it doesn't shift at all.

Good review though :toast:

Well if they sent me a beta unit as final, then that is what I have to evaluate. If Fanatec would like to send me a final unit so I can compare and see if there are any changes, I would love to do that.

But I did not really go into the very technical aspects of the unit, I focused more on the function and design of the wheel for this review. This is to show, how does the wheel work, what does it look like? what features does it have?

but good to know that they have changed things around a bit :)

cheers
DS

Hawk1

Processor E6600@3.6Ghz (8x450)
Motherboard Commando
Cooling TRUE
Memory 2GB Ballistix Tracers @900 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) ATI X1950XTX w/TR HR-03
Storage 2 x WD250GB (RAID0) 1x WD150GB Raptor 1x500GB external
Display(s) Dell 24" Ultrasharp
Case TT Armour
Audio Device(s) Xfi xtreme Gamer (X-230s/HD595s)
Power Supply TT 750W modular
Software xp pro SP2/Vista Ultimate 32
Good review. Product seems great (asside from the plasticy pedals/gearbox's) and the steering wheel looks exceptionally accurate, but I think if I was in the market for a Wheel right now, I would have to go with the G25, which is a much better value for money. Don't get me wrong, I love Porsche, but not for the premium that is charged. I guess the quantity on this will be limited as it is a niche high end product. Looks very good and if you are that much of a P fan, go for it.

regan1985

Processor yorkfield core 2 quad Q8200 3.2ghz 1.26v
Motherboard asus p5Q SE
Cooling akasa ak965
Memory Kingston 1066 2x2gb 1104mhz 2.2v
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE HD 2600 XT DDR3 857/1078
Storage 2X Samsung spinpoint 500GB 7200 4x 1tb samsung eco 5400
Display(s) 2xSamsung P2270 22" Widescreen
Case NZXT Hush Quiet Case in Black
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500w Silent Power Supply
Software windows 7 64
dont think it would sell well in the uk or japan unless they put the gearbox on the otherside

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
dont think it would sell well in the uk or japan unless they put the gearbox on the otherside

LOL you can put the gearbox on whatever side you like.

Well as G25 owner I think this is an okay attempt at an alternate choice. But with the higher price and the plasticky bits that I know are steel and solid on my G25 I will stick to my current choice . I had been waiting to see a review on it to see if I could recommend it to people as an alternative, I cant.

System Name Brutus
Processor AMD Ryzen 5600X PBO
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling EKWB AIO 240MM Push-Pull fans
Memory Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 4000 32GB (4x8) @4066 CL16, Custom Timings
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 1080Ti FE OC
Storage Kingston A2000 500GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung 24" S24D300 + 2x LG LED 24"
Case Cooler Master H500
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi Titanium Fatality Professional
Power Supply Sama Forza Modular 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Cooler Master Master Keys Lite
Keyboard Cooler Master Master Keys Lite
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Great review as always.

Nice wheel, Fanatec have done a great job with it, but it seems that the pedals let it down. But still, the G25 seems the best choice for true sim-addicts (like me :)).

BTW Wizz, not attacking, just a compliment, you should test wheels like these in more realistic game like GTR2 or Race 07 to feel where the real wheel shines. In games like that you should feel the most realistic feedback. And a warning...those games aren't for n00bies. :)

I don't know how many TPU users will agree with me on that.

Darksaber

Staff member
Software Windows 10 Home
thanx for the feedback :D I was the guy who reviewed that ^^

we can try it out with all types of games, and you will always find someone who prefers one game over another...What we tried to show in the review is the function of the wheel, not so much for a specific game, but how it handles certain global aspects (like vibration and force feedback).

cheers
DS

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
All I can say is...

... time for Porsche Unleashed 2!

C'mon NFS team... you havent made a game as good as NFSPU was. But it is in desperate need of an updated version. Go knock on Porsches doors for some more sponsorship money.

I had so much fun with NFSPU that i actually went out and bought a 911. (A couple of years later, mind).

System Name Lowman
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus X570 Gaming E
Cooling 3x 360mm Radiator D5 Pump
Memory 4x 16GB 3600 Trident Z Neo
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black + Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 2x Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB + SSDs + Nas
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34gn850, 2x Dell S2721DGFA, Samsung G9 Odyssey, Philips 4K 40" (BDM4065UC),
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL + front Distro Plate
Audio Device(s) NI Komplete Audio 2, JBL 305, Teufel SW5000 THX Sub, Rode NT1-A Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor Platinum 850w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Logitech G815
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Timespy 18630
... agreed. A high end product like this wheel should be testet on games like lfs2, cmrae dirt, race 07 or gtr2. Nobody buys a 350$ wheel to play NFS! :)
Comparison to the G25 would have been nice.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Great review as always.

Nice wheel, Fanatec have done a great job with it, but it seems that the pedals let it down. But still, the G25 seems the best choice for true sim-addicts (like me :)).

BTW Wizz, not attacking, just a compliment, you should test wheels like these in more realistic game like GTR2 or Race 07 to feel where the real wheel shines. In games like that you should feel the most realistic feedback. And a warning...those games aren't for n00bies. :)

I don't know how many TPU users will agree with me on that.

Yeah I will agree with this. I bought my G25 for GTL/rFactor/GTR2 Now that I have a PS3 it has become even more useful.
I have NFS Pro Street and I can say it is a pretty good game as far as FFB goes and it actually has THE BEST clutch out of any game I have EVER played(and I own or have tried em all) All the sims I mentioned while alot more in depth don't even come close.
So it wasnt a bad choice as a test game actually.

System Name Lowman
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus X570 Gaming E
Cooling 3x 360mm Radiator D5 Pump
Memory 4x 16GB 3600 Trident Z Neo
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black + Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 2x Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB + SSDs + Nas
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34gn850, 2x Dell S2721DGFA, Samsung G9 Odyssey, Philips 4K 40" (BDM4065UC),
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL + front Distro Plate
Audio Device(s) NI Komplete Audio 2, JBL 305, Teufel SW5000 THX Sub, Rode NT1-A Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor Platinum 850w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Logitech G815
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Timespy 18630
Don't get me wrong... the review wasn't bad at all...
BUT not on the "complete" level i would expect from this site! :)

@INSTG8R
A quite good setup! :)

Anyway best clutch for me is still lfs 2 alpha! :)

Fanatec

Thanks for the good review and the the award!

Most of the things which have been critizised have been changed. We changed the material of the shifters and made a complete rework on the pedals before mass production.

The packaging is certainly a matter of taste. We followed Porsche standards which are different from what is popular in the PC and Toy market.

The Force Feedback strength can be adjusted both in the driver and the Tuning menu of the wheel and hey, don't buy a Porsche Turbo and then complain it has too much power ;)

Darksaber

Staff member
Software Windows 10 Home
Don't get me wrong... the review wasn't bad at all...
BUT not on the "complete" level i would expect from this site! :)

@INSTG8R
A quite good setup! :)

Anyway best clutch for me is still lfs 2 alpha! :)

noted :)

let me see if I can get the review updated with GTR2 and Race 07 within the next few days- I will let you guy know-

cheers
DS

MikeVictor

Order Status & Comment - Do I have it right?

Just ordered the Fanatec Porsche wheel set on their web site.

As I understand it, I actually preordered it, apparently and the first shipment of any order for the new improved version of the wheel will start in a couple days, the end of April. I understand that there is a list of orders that they will fill first come first serve. I suspect I am well down on the list by now as this new version appears to have been added to their catelog back in Aug 07.

Is all that right?

If all the 40 improvements listed in a previoius posting to this thread were implemented, then I would think this would be a very good wheel set with the precision i am looking for in the pedals and the wheel. I have found that the precise integrated use of brake and accelerator are critical to braking, cornoring, and accelerating..and add a lot more fun to the simulation when one can nail the 4 wheel drift at maximum possible braking, speed and acceleration in and out of a corner.

I am a GPL diehard that experiments with newer sims, but that classic open wheel racing without the aid of newer technology is where it is at for me. Much more is required of the driver, I like that, keeps me busy.

Looking forward to getting the wheel set, hope to see it sometime in May 08.

Regards to all,

Mike

MikeVictor

Good News - Delivery coming soon

Just recieved an email from Fanatec saying I would have the Wheel set delivered by mid May. Lookiing forward to it. I trust that the pedals will be much improved over the beta version reported before as that is critical to my satisfaction with the system. I participate in flight sims as well and hope to have a set up where I only need one set of pedals for car racing and aircraft piloting. We'll see. Anyone with experience with this?

Looking forward to it regardless,

Mike

Last edited:

jmke

The Madshrimp
Hey Darksaber, thank you for the review; how about some feedback on using it with a recent racing sim.

LFS
rFactor
GTR2/Race07

how does it compare the Logitech G25?

MikeVictor

My current opinion

I've noted that a lot of the concern with the Fanatec wheel was actually based on the beta version of the wheel. It was commendable for them to openly involve the sim racing community in performing beta testing during their development of the final product. Admirable. Of course the beta version of the Fanatec wheel set would probably be inferior to the production version of the G25 in some ways. But I suspect due to the open beta testing and apparent response and corrective action taken, that the Fanatec wheel we recieve in a week or so will be far superior to it's competiters overall and worth the price difference. I supsect that we will get more value for the money than for the G25. Fanatec has thrown down the guantlet, and I think they are going to take top honors when compared to current production models on the market. However, I am wondering what Logitec is going to do about it.

I bought the Fanatec Wheel and am looking forward to using it, but I respect and own more than one Logitec product and have been happy with them. Fanatec has raised the bar, Logitec will clear it and we will see some interesting improvements in game controls as a result of this healthy competition between two respectable vendors, and others.

How I see it at the moment,

Mike (GPL diehard fan):rockout:

MikeVictor

Status Update for my Fanatec Wheel Purchase.

Just recieved an email with an invoice attached stating that my payment has been recieved (I ordered the Wheel a couple weeks ago) and that it would now be shipped. Shipment will take about a week according to the invoice. So I should see it next week sometime, not this week.

I guess they are sorting out their customer communications approach with this order and will improve upon it. I suspect that will be my only "issue" with this. On-line vendors more often than not provide a tracking number that provides some status to the buyer, that is unless the US Post Office is making the delivery, then tracking numbers if provided are useless as per my experience.

If there is anything I would change to date with my experience, it would be improving the on-line order status reporting and provision of shipment tracking numbers for customers. Perhaps the Fanatec folks will address these concerns as they did those for the product itself. I have no big heartburn with this, unless the package is deliverd and sits on my doorstep and gets stolen without my being able to do anything to prevent it.

Has anyone else recieved an invoice in the email?

Mike

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
I have to wonder what that feels like in comparison to the real thing though. I've driven a porche boxter (big difference i know) and i'm curious how authentic it really is.

MikeVictor

Fanatec Porsche name

It's sort of neat that they adopted the Porsche style with the wheel. But frankly, I would rather have had the money spent on improvements to the hardware and software than paying for an expensive emblem on the wheel. The possible advantage to the Porsche association is that Porsche may insist that products with their name on them be of high quality just like their cars.

I wish I had 100k to put into a Porsche of my own. :respect: I will have to settle for my Fanatec wheel, my Manta Ray 12 kayak: http://www.nativewatercraft.com/ , my Jeep Grand Cherokee, my sailplane: http://www.nimbus.org.uk/sn_103.htm, and my bicycle. Don't have a skate board anymore....:)

I'll comment on my experience with it, looking forward to it.

Mike

Last edited:

MikeVictor

Fanatec Delivery Status Update

The Fanatec folks are quick to respond to email inquiries and are very positive/friendly, impressive. I was emailed today by their customer support department that there was a delay in clearing customs (that is predictable) and that the Wheels should arrive at the USA warehouse today to be shipped via DHL quickly on to our homes. A DHL tracking number will be provided via email. I am glad to hear this as I need to plan on being home to recieve it or shortly after it arrives.

One of the best procurement and shipping status reporting capabilities I have seen is on the newegg web site. Amazon, and Yahoo are a good examples too. Not an advertizement, just a fact.

So the shipping situation is looking good to me now as is the customer support.

I am a believer in German made products, I lived in Germany for 3 years (1978-1981) near Frankfurt, an experience I will remember fondly, a truly beautiful country. I've never been disapointed in anything I paid for in Germany, including some expensive hi-fi equiipment.

Once I recieve the wheel, I will do a review and post it.

Mike

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Any chance you can rip it apart ? :p.. ever wheel i have had has broken due to how the wheel connects to the rest of the unit.

Thrustmaster did there much older one with a steal shaft which was ok if you were handy with a screw driver and spanner every so often now they just snap....

MikeVictor

Rip it apart??!!

No, I won't be taking it apart, :twitch:not while it's under warranty and probably never. I have seen the insides of it on some posts someplace and maybe on u-tube, not sure of the later.

My old trusty MOMO hasn't broken in any way like you have experienced, and it's been manhandled some.:respect:

Mike

MikeVictor

I have a tracking number now

Recieved an notice via email today from Fanatec that my Fanatec Wheel has been picked up by DHL in California and is enroute to me now. :roll:Expected delivery is next week. So I have a tracking number now, finally. Apparently, US customs/security delays occured beyond the control of anyone. :banghead: Will post next week (hopefully) my initial impressions of it. Will answer questions about it posted here or PM'd/emailed to me.

My interest in this wheel started with it's pedals as they might be useable with my joy stick for aviation sims I have. Will give that a try as well. I was interested in obtaining a wheel set that would enable me to be more precise in my wheel, brake, accelerator inputs to optimize my cornering in GPL (GPL will pass it's 10 year aniversary this Fall).

It would be a significant improvement if the vendors of Fanatec wheels could adopt a web based shipment tracking and reporting capability similar to that provided by newegg.com where steps in the shipment process are reported on their web site both before and after the local shipper picks up the package. I would add a step "bogged down in US customs" as a step... :laugh:

Mike