• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel, STMicroelectronics and Francisco Partners Close Transaction to Create Numonyx

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Intel Corporation today announced that the company has finalized and closed its transaction with STMicroelectronics and Francisco Partners to create a new independent semiconductor company Numonyx B.V. that will design, develop and manufacture NOR and NAND flash memory products. As part of the transaction, Intel has transferred the assets associated with its NOR flash memory business and certain assets related to the company's phase change memory initiatives to Numonyx in exchange for 45.1 percent ownership in Numonyx. ST Microelectronics acquired a 48.6 percent ownership interest in Numonyx. Francisco Partners acquired a 6.3 percent ownership interest in exchange for a cash investment of $150 million.

As part of the overall transaction, Numonyx will receive $450 million of debt financing at closing from Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A and Unicredit Banca d'Impresa S.p.A in addition to a $100 million committed revolving credit facility. The loan has a 4-year term and Intel and STMicroelectronics have each provided Numonyx and the banks with a guarantee of 50 percent of the indebtedness.

Intel estimates that it will record additional non-cash impairment of approximately $300 million related to the assets transferred to Numonyx and other costs associated with this transaction in the first quarter of 2008. Approximately 2,500 Intel employees are joining Numonyx as part of this transaction.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name My Box
Processor Core I7 4790
Motherboard Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Alpenfohn Ben Nevis
Memory 16 GB DDR3 1600, Dual channel
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition
Storage SSD OCZ Arc 120 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Blue 1 TB
Display(s) HP Pavilion 27xi IPS LED Backlit
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Sabre 24/96 DAC
Power Supply LDLC XT-650P 80+ Platinum
Mouse A4 Tech Basic
Keyboard Microsoft Comfort Curve
Software Win 10 Pro X64
Guess Intel wants to be a player when the good times roll and SSD grabs the market. I see some tough times ahead for the likes of Seagate and WD unless they start doing something fast.

Unless a new "revolutionary" technology comes along, SSD's are the future.

System Name beast
Processor 3930K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2011
Memory 16GB Kingston Value DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus Elite RTX3060 12GB
Storage 1x 120GB Intel 520 and some spinny bois
Display(s) 3x DELL S2721DGF
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Corsair 750w
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10
ssd's still, and seems like will allways face the problem of only being able to be written to a number of times before the sdd becomes completely expired and unusable, for this reason i dont think that hard drive manufacturers have too much to worry about, well aside from a temporary competition in the storage market, plus the only real truely suitable use for ssd's are for notebooks and ultra portable computing devices and similar stuff.

I read an article a couple of months back about researches finding a way to store data on tiny nano carbon tubes or somthing [cant really remember i wasnt payign a huge amount of attention] I hope technologies like this are the way of the future as I would love to move away from mechanical components which can fail as easily as being bumped too hard whilst their operating.
But at the same time currently ssd's are far too impractical for desktop use, limited write life alone.. dont get me started on current prices, i know their getting cheaper but when u can go and get twice the capacity for well under half the cost, i'd put up with a platter and keep the cash.

lets hope that some technology is created soonish which where everyone can enjoy insane capacities, flawless operability, longevity and of course affordability, untill then i'll continue to back hdd manufacturers. thats imo, but everyone has their own.