• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HELP! GTO2 flash gone wrong!

p0lly

Processor 3200+ Venice
Motherboard DFI NF4 Ultra - 704-2BTA
Memory OCZ VX DDR500
Video Card(s) GTO2
Storage Maxtor DM10
Audio Device(s) X-Fi
Power Supply 450w
dolf said:
I know that you can't boot even from the PCI card when the PCIX card is installed. The reason most probably is that you have flashed wrong BIOS (AGP BIOS to your PCIX) card.
It will not boot on the other computer also. I have a friend which did the same thing on his X800PRO AGP (he flashed PCIX BIOS). The only solution was unsoldering of the EEPROM chip and re-programming it on external programmer. (You should clear somehow the EEPROM and then even empty it will allow you to boot)

Good luck
I read somewhere (a long time ago) that EEPROM chips are VERY sensitive to UV light and that is how they are erased in mass bunches. Now with UV lighting in cases now-a-days, that seems to suggest that either the light is not strong enough, or EEPROM's are not sensitive to UV light. Can anyone shed some light (no pun intended) on this matter...

If this is true, it may prove to be an easier way to "blank" the EEPROM, rather than removing it and then manually erasing it.

P.

EDIT: OK, I found a site that talks about UV light but I was mistaken. It is for EPROM's and not EEPROM's. Here is the link:
http://www.qsl.net/iz7ath/web/02_brew/15_lab/05_canc/english/pag01_eng.htm

@Polly: i have, had a problem similar to yours, i flashed my x1600 , and it whent wrong ... so i endep up with a dead grafic card ... after some reading i came to this post so i started to do as you where told to do ... but with the same results ... no flash, so i tried atiflash ver 3.09 like this

"atiflash -f -p 0 (it is zero not o) 1.bin"

the result was a working x1600 .

Polly i hope you can get your card back to life !

to all that helped Polly trying to solve his problem my BIGEST THANK YOU

p0lly

Processor 3200+ Venice
Memory OCZ VX DDR500
Video Card(s) GTO2
Storage Maxtor DM10
Audio Device(s) X-Fi
Power Supply 450w
clixo said:
@Polly: i have, had a problem similar to yours, i flashed my x1600 , and it whent wrong ... so i endep up with a dead grafic card ... after some reading i came to this post so i started to do as you where told to do ... but with the same results ... no flash, so i tried atiflash ver 3.09 like this

"atiflash -f -p 0 (it is zero not o) 1.bin"

the result was a working x1600 .

Polly i hope you can get your card back to life !

to all that helped Polly trying to solve his problem my BIGEST THANK YOU
Clixo, Thanks for your best wishes. Unfortunately, my problem is slightly different than yours... my adapter is not adapter 0 (or any other for that matter) as your card is. My card does not show up in atiflash or other programs.

Glad this thread could help, and I am determined to push this matter till the end (the end being when I decide to see if I can remove the core to see what it looks like;) )

P.

Polly, you have allready found that EEPROM is electricaly programmable ROM (no UV). Today I will ask some people about your case but for sure you have to unsolder the flash chip from the card. You have to understand that it is the only way and to be ready for that. Now your card is DEAD (but I am 99,9% sure that it is not true) it just requires more time and resources spent :) . Be patient and one day (hope soon) you will have your card back :D .

p0lly said:
Clixo, Thanks for your best wishes. Unfortunately, my problem is slightly different than yours... my adapter is not adapter 0 (or any other for that matter) as your card is. My card does not show up in atiflash or other programs.

Glad this thread could help, and I am determined to push this matter till the end (the end being when I decide to see if I can remove the core to see what it looks like;) )

P.

Hi
My card was not show also in any tool !, but with the blind flash from the latest atiflash it worked.

Polly, try to find a firm which can reprogramm your EEPROM in your country. If you can't succeed (only like last option) I can do it for you.
It will be necessary:
1. To find the flash chip (marked with M25P05 or something similar - for more info you can refer to http://www.chipcatalog.com/Datasheet/5A19F3555546E46A2BCCB9370343A15D.htm or http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/8624.pdf) on the front side of the card.
2. To unsolder it (extract it) from the PCB
3. To send it to me (like normal letter)

If you are interested of the above please contact to me with private message for further details.

Success

Last edited:

p0lly

Processor 3200+ Venice
Memory OCZ VX DDR500
Video Card(s) GTO2
Storage Maxtor DM10
Audio Device(s) X-Fi
Power Supply 450w
dolf said:
Polly, try to find a firm which can reprogramm your EEPROM in your country. If you can't succeed (only like last option) I can do it for you.
It will be necessary:
1. To find the flash chip (marked with M25P05 or something similar - for more info you can refer to http://www.chipcatalog.com/Datasheet/5A19F3555546E46A2BCCB9370343A15D.htm or http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/8624.pdf) on the front side of the card.
2. To unsolder it (extract it) from the PCB
3. To send it to me (like normal letter)

If you are interested of the above please contact to me with private message for further details.

Success

Dolf, Thank you very much for your continued support through this thread. I may take you up on your flash offer if I am not able to find something here in Toronto, Canada. I have been searching the net for ways to erase the EEPROM chip without removing it from the card. I did stumble upon a page that says a magnetized screw driver will erase EEPROMS. My concern is that I may erase something else on the card at the same time... Is there any other ROM chip on the card? Or is everything else RAM?

P.

clixo said:
Hi
My card was not show also in any tool !, but with the blind flash from the latest atiflash it worked.
I'm curious about this... I wonder how the flash program knew where to flash the BIOS if no adapter was found? I mean there is no path (ex. PCI, AGP, or PCIe) and on top of that it doesn't even know which chip to flash it to. Can anyone elaborate on this?

P.

p0lly

Processor 3200+ Venice
Memory OCZ VX DDR500
Video Card(s) GTO2
Storage Maxtor DM10
Audio Device(s) X-Fi
Power Supply 450w
Dolf,

Any suggestions on the screwdriver method?

P.

There isn't something else that can be flashed (only the EEPROM) but I have doubts about that "method". From the other hand you have nothing to lose and can try that but don't count on it too much ;) .

Something else - please if necessary remove the cooler and ensure the core type (R480, R423 or R430). If possible post the "wrong" BIOS with which you flashed your card.

Last edited:

p0lly

Processor 3200+ Venice
Memory OCZ VX DDR500
Video Card(s) GTO2
Storage Maxtor DM10
Audio Device(s) X-Fi
Power Supply 450w
dolf said:
There isn't something else that can be flashed (only the EEPROM) but I have doubts about that "method". From the other hand you have nothing to lose and can try that but don't count on it too much ;) .

Something else - please if necessary remove the cooler and ensure the core type (R480, R423 or R430). If possible post the "wrong" BIOS with which you flashed your card.
My core is R480. I opened the X850XT PE bios in Rabit 1.7 and it said that the core was R423? I just figured that Rabit 1.7 did not yet support R480. I removed VIVO from the bios and then saved it. That is the bios I flashed. I guess my card didn't like being told that it's a 423.

I'll post my results with the magnet.

P.

p0lly

Processor 3200+ Venice
Memory OCZ VX DDR500
Video Card(s) GTO2
Storage Maxtor DM10
Audio Device(s) X-Fi
Power Supply 450w
Dolf,

How do I send you the file?

P.

Pack it (with zip or rar) and attach it with the "Manage Attacments" option :) .

p0lly

Processor 3200+ Venice
Memory OCZ VX DDR500
Video Card(s) GTO2
Storage Maxtor DM10
Audio Device(s) X-Fi
Power Supply 450w
dolf said:
Pack it (with zip or rar) and attach it with the "Manage Attacments" option :) .
Here is the file. I hope this is what you were looking for. Thanks for all your help Dolf

P.

Attachments

• X850XTPErevision.zip
    34.5 KB · Views: 225

p0lly

Processor 3200+ Venice
Memory OCZ VX DDR500
Video Card(s) GTO2
Storage Maxtor DM10
Audio Device(s) X-Fi
Power Supply 450w
@ Dolf,

I got my card back from ATI and they were not able to fix it... more over, they did not want to fix it because I removed the fan!

I would like to know more about your offer to reflash my EEPROM - how do we proceed!

Thanks,

P.

p0lly said:
@ Dolf,

I got my card back from ATI and they were not able to fix it... more over, they did not want to fix it because I removed the fan!

I would like to know more about your offer to reflash my EEPROM - how do we proceed!

Thanks,

P.

Hi p0lly,
First unsolder (gently) or find someone to unsolder for you the EEPROM (write how it is positioned on the PCB) keep it and be careful with the heat during unsoldering. Use vacuum unsoldering tool. When you are ready be sure that no short-circuits left over the unsoldered EEPROM. Install the card back to PC and inform me about. We will conduct some tests to see is it worth to continue.

pugmug

Vacuum soldering or unsoldering and watch the heat. Oh this is going to be good,lol

p0lly

Processor 3200+ Venice
Memory OCZ VX DDR500
Video Card(s) GTO2
Storage Maxtor DM10
Audio Device(s) X-Fi
Power Supply 450w
dolf said:
Hi p0lly,
First unsolder (gently) or find someone to unsolder for you the EEPROM (write how it is positioned on the PCB) keep it and be careful with the heat during unsoldering. Use vacuum unsoldering tool. When you are ready be sure that no short-circuits left over the unsoldered EEPROM. Install the card back to PC and inform me about. We will conduct some tests to see is it worth to continue.
Well... It's been 2 months since I've been viewing my screen at 800x600 on an LCD (the distortion is KILLING my eyes) and I've lost almost all patience with my card - so here is my proposal! I will make a guide with your help for the noob! I have no soldering skills, but I am a patient and meticulous person... I think I can do this if I am slow (and don't begin to throw things out of frustration! :eek: )

First off - what is a vacuum unsoldering tool? Where can I rent one (I live in Canada)?

OKAY!!! just googled vacuum soldering - I guess ME doing that is out of the question! Any thoughts?

P.

One step at a time

p0lly said:
Well... It's been 2 months since I've been viewing my screen at 800x600 on an LCD (the distortion is KILLING my eyes) and I've lost almost all patience with my card - so here is my proposal! I will make a guide with your help for the noob! I have no soldering skills, but I am a patient and meticulous person... I think I can do this if I am slow (and don't begin to throw things out of frustration! :eek: )

First off - what is a vacuum unsoldering tool? Where can I rent one (I live in Canada)?

OKAY!!! just googled vacuum soldering - I guess ME doing that is out of the question! Any thoughts?

P.

One step at a time

Look the vacuum desoldering tool in fact is soldering iron with built in vacuum pump. Two devices in one handle. In my country it could be found for app. 5 USD (it is from China of course) 40W with number ZD211 (this is all information about the device that I can provide you) :) .

Are you useing PCI video card? If yes sorry for that. It comes to show that we should be faster in "our business". I don't know why and when but your case becomes somehow like my case. And I will help you with what I can.

If you have it please attach or send me your original card's BIOS to prepare the tool which to be used when you unsolder the flash chip.

Last edited:
System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
System Name MONEY PIT
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Mouse Rat7

p0lly

Processor 3200+ Venice
Memory OCZ VX DDR500
Video Card(s) GTO2
Storage Maxtor DM10
Audio Device(s) X-Fi
Power Supply 450w
The "vacuume soldering" I saw on google was a giant machine that was the size of a fridge! The one from circuit city makes MUCH MORE SENSE!!!

There has been a possible change in plans! Over the weekend, I took a look at my card closely and I noticed a white powdery residue on the back of the card (reverse side of the core). It also looks like some of the transistors may be a little burt, or misshapen! I don't have photoshop here at home and I took a high rez pic... I will crop out the section at work and post it in the forum. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but maybe this is why I've been having such a hard time re-flashing?

I'll repost on Monday, but thanks for all the help so far... who knows, I may just make the guide NEWays

P.

p0lly said:
The "vacuume soldering" I saw on google was a giant machine that was the size of a fridge! The one from circuit city makes MUCH MORE SENSE!!!

There has been a possible change in plans! Over the weekend, I took a look at my card closely and I noticed a white powdery residue on the back of the card (reverse side of the core). It also looks like some of the transistors may be a little burt, or misshapen! I don't have photoshop here at home and I took a high rez pic... I will crop out the section at work and post it in the forum. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but maybe this is why I've been having such a hard time re-flashing?

I'll repost on Monday, but thanks for all the help so far... who knows, I may just make the guide NEWays

P.

Vacuume de-soldering tool not soldering tool. On the back side of the core hasn't any active elements (transistors).

System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
post the hi-res photo to my e-mail for a look no crop needed