• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

former consultant now disabled w- TBI needs advice on new system

GeoNOregon

I need some help with spec'ing a new system. I've suffered a brain injury. My short-term memory, some of my deductive logic & some log-term knowledge is now missing. (wear your helmets, kiddies)

The upshot is I can very easily turn hardware in an anchor. Fortunately, I have no problems with software. I'll be able to build a new system as long as I don't try to trooubleshoot any issues that might come up without help.

The last time I was building systems, my current system, an Athlon XP 2400+ was a midrange system. I'm out of touch with today's stuff.

I thought I was going to have to scrape by on a new system, but I got some unexpected $$ from SS when they didn't have to pay an attorney as much as thought. Now, I've adjusted what I can spend.

Here's what I'm looking at followed by info & questions about the proposed system.
------
Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500 - 1066Mhz
AMD Phenom 9750 (Black Edition)
WD3201ABYS 320gb SATA

I want to stay with XP SP2 rather than go to Vista - (Vista's not exactly getting rave reviews.)

I chose the above parts based upon a performance to price ratio and past preferences with brands.

The price on the 'Black Edition' Phenom was the same as a Phenom 9600, so I went for the faster CPU though I'm not into OC'ing or gaming. Also the price for the Phenom just wasn't that much more than the Athlon 6500+ (best perf/price ratio).

I looked at the Asus and the Gigabyte boards. Was looking for the newest chipset as much as anything.

I've used both brands with no problem. Went with Gigabyte cause AMD owns them, (didn't I read that somewhere? please, correct me if I'm wrong).

The Phenom, etc is all bleeding edge, so I figured it would be best to go Gigabyte, (then they can't blame each other for a problem.)

The Kingston memory is on the recommended/tested list from AMD and a good price. 2gb is enough for XP and then there's 2 slots for more later, if needed for Win2010.

Before the unexpected $$, I was going with a pair of 160's, but these 320's give me a 5yr warranty and a big-azz 16mb cache for a fair price. Also, I will use the RAID.

Here's my questions:

Power supply: I have a case I like, I'll go new PS or new case depending on need & best value.

-- I need clean, adequate power for the MB/CPU/2-SATA's plus an IDE HD, (I prefer to put my C:\ on a separate HD), DVD burner (IDE), SCSI card & SCSI-DVD.

-- I need quieter than now, not silent, but don't want to spend $400.00 for a PS.

Video card: I have 2 - 21" VIewSonic G220f monitors that I'm not ready to part with. The Radeon 9000 64mb I have now is adequate for them & what I do.

-- I seem to remember the ability to adapt the second DVI port to analog was disappearing, so I'm apprehensive about new cards. Is that the case or can you still readily adapt the DVI ports?

-- I watch some U-tube and some TV shows that I might miss, but not a lot of high demand on video, otherwise.

-- I'm interested in video editing, so if a new card w- more Mhz & mem will help, I'll go there as long as I can still use my CRT's. But don't want to spend 300.00, either. Suggestions? Comments?

DVD burner: I may or may not need a new one, depending on the outcome of re-installing the drive I have, but I'd like to hear any recommendations on a burner.

Case fans: recommendations on a source for quiet case fans.

Chipset fans: anyone knows where to get these small fans.
------------------------------------------

I'm open to suggestions on all of this, you won't hurt my feelings as long as you don't call me names, so please weigh in, even if it's just on one piece of the puzzle.

I've been reading about problems the Gigabyte MB's having on initial boot - until the BIOS is flashed. Some said they needed to sub a non-Phenom AM2+ chip to get the board to fire. (I don't want to have to buy a CPU just to boot the damn thing.) So, any input?

I've also read about memory problems with this MB/CPU combo. One guy solved the problem by finally going to an ASUS board. So, any input?

That's where I am. Thanks, again for any help....

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Wow, I'm sorry about your TBI. I used to coordinate a Independent living skills program for adults with TBI in NY. As far as the hardware goes, are you sure you want to stay with AMD? Right now, Intel is crushing AMD in power/performance. You should consider this before deciding on components. I would suggest looking at Newegg.com regarding chipset fans, case fans etc. There's a large selection, and their prices are generally good. Regarding video cards, there are several good sub $200 cards out right now. Nvidia 9600GT and 8800GT, and ATI HD 3870 and 3850. There are several good Motherboard manufacturers too. I tend to stick with Gigabyte, DFI and EVGA. ASUS is generally good, but I don't buy from them anymore, because of a rotten RMA experience I had with them.

Last edited:
Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
Sorry to hear. We will assist.

If there is enuff money in the kitty go 2*2 with the ram.

the black edition proc is teh 9850.

what res do u use ur displays @?

gie us an idea of the budget plz.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Do you live in the us?

Give us a budget, and we can build on hell of a system.

GeoNOregon

Thanks for your words... When you're young you don't think about the effects on you later in life. I was a competitive free-style skier in the '70's.Before we thought to wear helmets. When I started we were still training on snow full time. (Don't like to say I was a pro, couldn't make a living at it! Had a blast, tho)

The 'straw on the camel's back' was when I fell in my garage May 2003. I spent until mid-late October walking around amnesiac - nobody knew, I don't remember a damn thing from that summer. I was driving, going to the doctor. I even tried to work on a couple of customer's computers. I stressed the tried.

If it was just the TBI I could still function, but I've been dealing with severe chronic pain from a boat-load of spine & limb injuries for 30+ years. The two together was too much..

Paulieg:
I've built a lot of Intel systems, was an Intel Processor dealer for years, but I just got fed up with their direction and being disappointed with their products, I game up on Intel in the middle of the PIII days and went totally AMD.

I took a cursory glance at Intel at NewEgg, it looked like the Kentsfield line would be what you're referring to, right?

What chipset would be the best fit for that CPU line?

I had already looked at both the NVidia and ATI cards as being in the ballpark of what I'd be willing to spend on a new card, but couldn't find anything about using them with CRT's.

It's interesting that eVGA is making a MB you recommend, I used a lot of their video cards for a few years and was always happy with them - solid drivers as I remember - I found for office systems & servers like I was building, reliability was the biggest factor.

I've seen lousy RMA guys or depts kill companies...

[I.R.A]_FBi & DaMulta: I considered 2 x 2gb, but just couldn't see where I would need that much RAM for XP & what I'm doing right now. I generally function fine with 512mb, as is. The motivation for upgrading is to pass my system to my wife as she needs mo' power for her biz, then her system replaces the dual CPU server we have. It's got those old pre-PII processors, I'm blanking on the name.

I don't have a budget, I've been looking at perf/price ratio. (I'm forced to function a lot differently now, I can't do math in my head, can't make quick decisions. I literally built spreadsheets for the HD's, CPU's MB's, etc to get a clue at the best deal.)

Here's what I've got re: prices

Gb MB 186.00
Phenom 9750 215.00
Kingston 2 x 1gb 65.00
2 320's 164.00
======
~630.00
I need:
PS & fans ~ 75.00-150.00
I may need:
video card ~100.00-150.00

Oh, IRA you're right the Black ED is only the 9850. I went back to check what I'd missed and one of the sites had Black Edition images for 9850 & a 9750. I picked up somewhere else that it seemed the xx50 were Black Ed, But those are the kinds of things I easily screw up nowadays - comparing & contrasting. That's why I can't troubleshoot hardware anymore. Hell, it's nightmare for me to go grocery shopping sometimes..

(It's back-ass way to get to a budget), but I'd like to get by for 800-850, but I'll spend 900-1000 if I'm forced.

I've never really liked to build bleeding edge systems, you're usually throwing money away and just asking for headaches anytime something has v.1.0 attached to it. The only reason I chose the Phenom is it's only $200.00. Seems real cheap for bleeding edge. Was thinking I could get by & use it w- Win2010.

(IRA - I still have a PIII-700 W97 machine with an AIW in it that still the most reliable vid capture and DVD player I've seen.)

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X99
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 4x8GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666 15-17-17-15
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2314H
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse ROCCAT Kone Pure Color White
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB - Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I would agree with Paulieg on this one...Intel is the way to go right now. For price/performance/power ratio you can't beat em.

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I would agree with Paulieg on this one...Intel is the way to go right now. For price/performance/power ratio you can't beat em.

Sorry to hear about your condition, we're all here to help!

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
So this computer is not for games then?

All desktop?

Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Chipset..I prefer Intel p35 and x38. I used to be all about AMD for years, as they just made a better product. There has been a reversal, and now Intel makes the best chips. As far as video cards go, I think some of the lower end cards have an out for bothe DVI and CRT. The 8400GS that I just put in my in laws system has both.

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Can someone delete my duplicate post plz..

GeoNOregon

Paulieg: I hear you on AMD vs Intel. I left the biz with AMD up, but it did go back and forth before that. I was thinking about what I said re: Intel and some of that was not CPU, but some overall things about Intel as to their marketing/anti-upgrade designs/general attitude.

I have also posted a help request on the AMD forum. Since I last posted here, I've decided that I'm dumping the Phenom idea. A few days of reading about 3rd core failures and BSOD have reminded me why I have always stayed away from bleeding-edge technology for my everyday machine. I just don't have what it takes, any more, to spend days & days trying to get a stable system and I need a stable system as doing artwork on the computer is one of my (more than daily) stress relievers.

I'll look for MB's based on the chipsets you suggest. The question have now that the 'speed lust' has ebbed a bit, is how far along in the development cycle is the Kentsfield Q6600 CPU's? Is it old enough that the glitches are worked out?

DaMulta: you are right, no games. I do want to learn to edit video, but I don't have any real hi-pro demands on a system and I religious about not using BS applications & applets that seem to cause so many problems: screen savers, free add-on's to common programs, don't use 'sleep mode', etc, etc.. And I stay to mainstream programs otherwise - when I try something unknown, I don't change anything else and use it for a few months to see if it causes problems.

I've found that I could live without 99% of the BS that people think they need.

Thanks, guys, appreciate the help.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
AMD is just fine right no big difference for the price unless you oc as far as your PSU will go you can go with this if you want to do the rebate its $90 or this if not for $75 both are reliable and very good psus and for a VGA go for this its a great card for the money

BUT seeing how you wont play games all you need is this and if you do that you can vrey easily get buy with this psu

so if you want high end parts your total would be $129.99+$74.99 (or $89.99)
if you wanted enough to run your system well in everything but games it would be $24.99+$14.99

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
I would go with the 9850 from AMD. It is close to a QX9650 stock, and I have a QX9650 VERY FAST!!!

I would get the cheapest motherboard it would go in with on board video. If not buy the cheapest x1300/8500 that you can find to put in there.

I would then put in the cheapest set of DDR 2 in it thats 2 x1 gb 2 gigs. If your not benching/playing games it does not matter how fast the ram is. You will not see it.

500 gig drive

80 PLUS Certified power supplie/ believe me you want this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371012
These are the only PSUs I will buy at this time. I own 2 of them, and I have sold lots of them to customers. I have never had one fail on me yet, nor has my customers. Remember it's not going to eat the 100watts only what you pull. The more power your box has the better and cheaper it will be to run.

then a cheap case, or a nice on depends on who you are.

DVD-Burner they are 27 dollars retail why not?

Throw out the CTR monitors and buy a 22" widescreen or preferable buy a 24'' monitor.
A the new ones are better than 99%% of CTR monitors unless you have one of the ones that was 1000 usd new. 2ed they are going to use less electricity to run paying for them selfs very quickly.

Last edited:

GeoNOregon

Dumped the Phenom idea and have switched to Intel

Both memories are on the qualified vendor list from Asus, the Crucial would be 2 pieces total, the Kingston would be

four pieces. Didn't know if there would be a problem with two pieces of 2mb.. The price is the some, CAS & voltage are equal, as well.

I'd like to save some $ on the video card as I'm spending more than I'd like on the PS, but the ATi puts me at more ease

regarding running two analog monitors, plus the ATI comes with adapters.... it seems to me that all adapters are not equal, but I'm not sure about my memory on that.

I'm leaning towards the Power PC PS as much for quiet as anything. They both seem good, with little or no difference I

can see.

------------------

MB:
ASUS P5K-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131225

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

Mem:
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148112

OR

2 of these:
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134488

Vid:
ASUS EAH3650 SILENT/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

CrossFire Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121237

or
(I'm leaning towards this one....)
ATI 100-505149 FireGL V3300 128MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Workstation Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195009

PS:
PC Power & Cooling S610EPS EPS12V 610W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

or
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

--------------------------

If there's anything you think about these or know of better deals, etc, let me know. Thanks a lot for your help.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
I highly recommend you get the 2X2GB kit in case you would like to add more RAM at a later date. As far as your video card choice, will you be watching more videos or doing more work in Maya and CAD?

Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Very nice choices with power supplies. Can't go wrong with either. Let me suggest that you take a look at Buffalo Firestix for RAM. They are Micron D9's for sure, and Buffalo has excellent support. My 4x1GB DDR2 800 sticks are currently clocked at 1000mhz or 2.15v and 5-4-4-9 timings. I've had these at 1020mhz and 5-5-5-9 timings also. At $108 for 4GB, it doesn't get any better than this.

http://www.directron.com/fsx800d2ck2g.html

GeoNOregon

re: Dumped the Phenom idea and have switched to Intel

JrRacinFan

Memory: So I can assume the 2 x 2gb will work in the ASUS P5KE board? The manual says the board can handle 8 gb, but there are no 2Gb modules on the qualified vendor list until you drop to 667Mhz. So I'm unsure. Also, the rational for even going to 4Gb is in case I upgrade to W2010. I think I'd be fine with 2Gb, actually and the price is equal between 2 x 2 and 4 x 1.

Video card: I went back & forth on these two cards. I don't do much in CAD or desktop publishing anymore, but I do want to get into some low-level video editing with this new system. What I've tried on my current system is just too slow.

Here's where I am on them:

The Asus card is 512mb of 128 bit GDDR3 (700Mhz) , & the GPU's running @ 725Mhz. It's 78.00, including S&H.

The ATI card is 128mb of 64 bit GDDR2 - (that's all I can find on it). It's 152.00, including S&H.

Outcome: ++ to ASUS for memory & price

They both are last year's chips. The ASUS card is fanless, the ATI has a fan. (I'm trying for quiet as possible): + to ASUS

One thing that has me leaning towards the ATI is VIVO. The ASUS doesn't have VIVO, the ATI card has a proprietary aVIVO... are they =, who knows. I've been advised that for video editign and video in general, I should look for VIVO: + to ATI

I've always thought that the more processing power & the more memory, the better a card would be for video display & editing. It's frustrating that I can't find any performance specs on the ATI card: : + to ASUS

Both are Cross Fire capable, so that's equal.

What has me concerned is the output. I have two 21" analog monitors that I can't replace right now, so I need two outputs to analog.

ASUS: The only definite, (though murky), thing I've found on the ASUS regarding running two analog monitors is from their site:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=8&l3=637&l4=0&model=2120&modelmenu=2

D-Sub Output: yes x 1 (via DVI to D-sub adaptor x 1)
Adaptor Bundled: 1 x DVI to D-sub adaptor

ATI: The ATI site states very clearly that the card is capable of running two analog monitors. You have to download a pdf file to find it, but it's there and the card comes with two adapters.

This is where that hazy memory I mentioned before came from. I dug it out of the crevices the other night.

After buying the ATI card I have in my current system, a year or more later, I went to buy one for my wife's. It was like night & day. Previously all the cards had dual analog output & supported two analog monitors, then I go to get the card for my wife & the cards have switched to dual DVI output and only one card, a Sapphire had dual DVI and could adapt to dual analog. The guy at my distributor said that was the way the cards were going. I gulped on the Sapphire ATI card as I'd never heard of them, but it's been a great card.

So now it looks like the ASUS card will only do a single analog monitor and the ATI will do two. So, if I understand Crossfire, I could buy two ASUS cards and then get my two analog monitors... right?

I'm already feeling like I'm over-budget... so I'm a bit frustrated.

-----

I just went to the ASUS forum to see if could find anything out about this and WOW are there some un-happy ASUS 3650 owners. Boy, problems, problems and then no one is answering the posts except this one guy who posted just to say the card's a piece of crap & he returned it! He's answered several people saying, "yep, I had that problem."

I guess that twists it for me, I'm biting the bullet. I'm going with the ATI unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Paulieg: The Buffalo memory you recommend is not on the vendor list from ASUS, so I'm a bit apprehensive about it. Also, the Crucial 2 x 2Gb from NewEgg is only 98.00, including S&H, so I'm inclined to go there unless there's any caution specifically about the Crucial memory. It seems to get praises where it's mentioned.

Thanks, though.