• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Withdraws Proposal to Acquire Yahoo!

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Microsoft Corp. today announced that it has withdrawn its proposal to acquire Yahoo! Inc.
We continue to believe that our proposed acquisition made sense for Microsoft, Yahoo! and the market as a whole. Our goal in pursuing a combination with Yahoo! was to provide greater choice and innovation in the marketplace and create real value for our respective stockholders and employees,
said Steve Ballmer, chief executive officer of Microsoft.

"Despite our best efforts, including raising our bid by roughly $5 billion, Yahoo! has not moved toward accepting our offer. After careful consideration, we believe the economics demanded by Yahoo! do not make sense for us, and it is in the best interests of Microsoft stockholders, employees and other stakeholders to withdraw our proposal," said Ballmer.

"We have a talented team in place and a compelling plan to grow our business through innovative new services and strategic transactions with other business partners. While Yahoo! would have accelerated our strategy, I am confident that we can continue to move forward toward our goals," Ballmer said.

"We are investing heavily in new tools and Web experiences, we have dramatically improved our search performance and advertiser satisfaction, and we will continue to build our scale through organic growth and partnerships," said Kevin Johnson, Microsoft president for platforms and services.

Below is the text of the letter from Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to Yahoo! CEO Jerry Yang.
May 3, 2008

Mr. Jerry Yang
CEO and Chief Yahoo
Yahoo! Inc.
701 First Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94089

Dear Jerry:

After over three months, we have reached the conclusion of the process regarding a possible combination of Microsoft and Yahoo!.

I first want to convey my personal thanks to you, your management team, and Yahoo!'s Board of Directors for your consideration of our proposal. I appreciate the time and attention all of you have given to this matter, and I especially appreciate the time that you have invested personally. I feel that our discussions this week have been particularly useful, providing me for the first time with real clarity on what is and is not possible.

I am disappointed that Yahoo! has not moved towards accepting our offer. I first called you with our offer on January 31 because I believed that a combination of our two companies would have created real value for our respective shareholders and would have provided consumers, publishers, and advertisers with greater innovation and choice in the marketplace. Our decision to offer a 62 percent premium at that time reflected the strength of these convictions.

In our conversations this week, we conveyed our willingness to raise our offer to $33.00 per share, reflecting again our belief in this collective opportunity. This increase would have added approximately another $5 billion of value to your shareholders, compared to the current value of our initial offer. It also would have reflected a premium of over 70 percent compared to the price at which your stock closed on January 31. Yet it has proven insufficient, as your final position insisted on Microsoft paying yet another $5 billion or more, or at least another $4 per share above our $33.00 offer.

Also, after giving this week's conversations further thought, it is clear to me that it is not sensible for Microsoft to take our offer directly to your shareholders. This approach would necessarily involve a protracted proxy contest and eventually an exchange offer. Our discussions with you have led us to conclude that, in the interim, you would take steps that would make Yahoo! undesirable as an acquisition for Microsoft.

We regard with particular concern your apparent planning to respond to a "hostile" bid by pursuing a new arrangement that would involve or lead to the outsourcing to Google of key paid Internet search terms offered by Yahoo! today. In our view, such an arrangement with the dominant search provider would make an acquisition of Yahoo! undesirable to us for a number of reasons:
  • First, it would fundamentally undermine Yahoo!'s own strategy and long-term viability by encouraging advertisers to use Google as opposed to your Panama paid search system. This would also fragment your search advertising and display advertising strategies and the ecosystem surrounding them. This would undermine the reliance on your display advertising business to fuel future growth.
  • Given this, it would impair Yahoo's ability to retain the talented engineers working on advertising systems that are important to our interest in a combination of our companies.
  • In addition, it would raise a host of regulatory and legal problems that no acquirer, including Microsoft, would want to inherit. Among other things, this would consolidate market share with the already-dominant paid search provider in a manner that would reduce competition and choice in the marketplace.
  • This would also effectively enable Google to set the prices for key search terms on both their and your search platforms and, in the process, raise prices charged to advertisers on Yahoo. In addition to whatever resulting legal problems, this seems unwise from a business perspective unless in fact one simply wishes to use this as a vehicle to exit the paid search business in favor of Google.
  • It could foreclose any chance of a combination with any other search provider that is not already relying on Google's search services.
Accordingly, your apparent plan to pursue such an arrangement in the event of a proxy contest or exchange offer leads me to the firm decision not to pursue such a path. Instead, I hereby formally withdraw Microsoft's proposal to acquire Yahoo!.

We will move forward and will continue to innovate and grow our business at Microsoft with the talented team we have in place and potentially through strategic transactions with other business partners.

I still believe even today that our offer remains the only alternative put forward that provides your stockholders full and fair value for their shares. By failing to reach an agreement with us, you and your stockholders have left significant value on the table.

But clearly a deal is not to be.

Thank you again for the time we have spent together discussing this.

Sincerely yours,

Steven A. Ballmer
Chief Executive Officer
Microsoft Corporation

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
I was waitin for this to pop up.. it made headlines yesterday. =P I think MS is now going to watch Y! stock plummet and then move in for the kill.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
This is a VERY LONG letter by Ballmer. Too long. It is either:

1./ Fake, or

2./ Spelling out issues of market collution with the dominant player, together with "poison pill", ready to take the issue to the MM commission, or pursue legal action againt said director. How? Becuase Ballmer is spelling out how, through "spite of hostile bid", the management team of Yahoo would take actions to destroy value for their shareholders. They would be legally liable to the shareholders for such action and could not only force their resignation, but pursue them for damages, or

3./ Its a trojan horse. MS will not take Yahoo in ONE hostile bid, but will work with an invement bank / private equity firm to acquire stock through a third party until such point that together they have sufficient voting rights to appoint their own board members. Its not a hostile take over. But an accumulating stakeholder in Yahoo until such point that MS has controlling influence.

All in all, odd.

Yahoo should remain alert.

:rockout: I love to see MS told to" F off and take you cash with you":slap:

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Motherboard ASRock z68 pro3-m
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB 2 x 4GB 1600mhz
Storage OCZ Agility3 60GB(boot) 2x320GB Raid0(storage)
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750w
Software Win 7 x64
damn they were wiling to raise their offer to $33 bucks a share and they still said no.
im sorry but i think that was kind of stupid on yahoo"s part!

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Id have to agree with ya if it was anyone other than ms id day yahoo would of accepted.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
3./ Its a trojan horse. MS will not take Yahoo in ONE hostile bid, but will work with an invement bank / private equity firm to acquire stock through a third party until such point that together they have sufficient voting rights to appoint their own board members. Its not a hostile take over. But an accumulating stakeholder in Yahoo until such point that MS has controlling influence.

In other words yahoo are going to get 'assimilated'

Interbreeding with the Yahoo stocks until yahoo stocks become M$ stocks

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB
Id have to agree with ya if it was anyone other than ms id day yahoo would of accepted.

But no one else could afford $50 billion... Yahoo is stupid, and their stocks will plumet, and MS will have the last laugh in this.

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Motherboard ASRock z68 pro3-m
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB 2 x 4GB 1600mhz
Storage OCZ Agility3 60GB(boot) 2x320GB Raid0(storage)
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750w
Software Win 7 x64
But no one else could afford $50 billion... Yahoo is stupid, and their stocks will plumet, and MS will have the last laugh in this.

sad but true...unless yahoo partners with google?!

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB
sad but true...unless yahoo partners with google?!

The EU, China, and the US would tear them apart for even trying it... The Supreme Court is already looking at that 3 day trail Yahoo did with Google...

robodude666

Processor Intel E8400 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte EP35
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P w/ dual NF-P12
Memory G.Skill 2x1GB DDR2-800 @ 650MHz
Video Card(s) HD 3870 512MB
Storage WD 250GB, Sammy 80GB, WD 80GB, Seagate 80GB
Display(s) HP w2408h
Case CoolerMaster ATCS 840
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply ThermalTake ToughPower 850w Modular
Software Windows Vista Business 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.04, Windows XP Pro SP2
I'm glad to see a company who cares about who they are being bought by. So what if Microsoft offered a large sack of money? If Yahoo doesn't want to take that sack of money then they shouldn't have to. They are probably working out a deal with Google as we speak. Personally, if I was a big company, I'd rather accept $30mill from Google than $50+mill from Microsoft.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
I'm glad to see a company who cares about who they are being bought by. So what if Microsoft offered a large sack of money? If Yahoo doesn't want to take that sack of money then they shouldn't have to. They are probably working out a deal with Google as we speak. Personally, if I was a big company, I'd rather accept $30mill from Google than $50+mill from Microsoft.

REad the post above you dude its not ever going to happen PERIOD. Unless Googles share of the interent starts to dramatically fall down like crazy and Microsofts starts to increase like crazy (not likely to happen anytime soon though.

Maybe Microsoft should be looking to take over ASk.com that would be a pretty good takeover bid if you ask me.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
Microsoft would be better off taking just a fraction of the money that would have been used in a takover bid of yahoo, and strengthening their own Live brand. Yahoo isn't even relevant anymore.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.6 (16x225)
Motherboard DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH
Cooling CoolIT Domino A.L.C.
Memory OCZ Reaper HPC 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Video Card(s) XFX HD-487A-ZDDC Radeon HD 4870 (OC'd to 825/1000) | XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890
Storage 2x Seagate 320GB SATA2 (ST3320620AS)
Case LIAN LI PC-X500B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1
Power Supply PCP&C S75QB 750W | Thermaltake Pure Power Express 250W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate x64
note: <-- not an MS fanboy but rather a fanboy of Goliath, er, Google.

Yahoo isn't even relevant anymore.
i completely agree.

oh how i look forward to Monday's stock numbers for Yahoo!. i side with Ballmer that Yahoo!'s hierarchy has done everything they could to make themselves undesirable while in the process acquiring unnecessary services to make the price increase they demanded seem acceptable (to whom i do not know).. can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning and see how their shareholders react to such and MS officially saying that the money is off the table.

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=YHOO

- Robert (PmR)DIJ

Processor Intel i5 750 @ 3.4GHz 1.0v
Motherboard Gigabyte P55 UD3R
Cooling CM Hyper 212 Plus
Memory (4 x 2GB) 8GB DDR3 // Mushkin & Patriot
Video Card(s) MSI 6950 2GB
Storage Corsair 128GB SSD
Display(s) LG 24"
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2ZS
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
Software Windows 7 64 Bit
Bad move on Yahoo's part, they are old news.

System Name _Speedforce_ (Successor to Strike-X, 4LI3NBR33D-H, Core-iH7 & Nemesis-H)
Processor Intel Core i9 7980XE (Lapped) @ 5.2Ghz With XSPC Raystorm (Lapped)
Motherboard Asus Rampage VI Extreme (XSPC Watercooled) - Custom Heatsinks (Lapped)
Cooling XSPC Custom Water Cooling + Custom Air Cooling (From Delta 220's TFB1212GHE to Spal 30101504&5)
Memory 8x 8Gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz @ 4667Mhz (2x F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) 3x Asus GTX1080 Ti (Lapped) With Customised EK Waterblock (Lapped) + Custom heatsinks (Lapped)
Storage 1x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB - 2280 (Hyper M.2 x16 Card), 7x Samsung 860 Pro 4Tb
Display(s) 6x Asus ROG Swift PG348Q
Case Aerocool Strike X (Modified)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 & Aurvana XFi Headphones
Power Supply 2x Corsair AX1500i With Custom Sheilding, Custom Switching Unit. Braided Cables.
Mouse Razer Copperhead + R.A.T 9
Keyboard Ideazon Zboard + Optimus Maximus. Logitech G13.
Software w10 Pro x64.
Benchmark Scores pppft, gotta see it to believe it. . .
I havnt used Yahoo services in years. I never will again anyways. Theres just far better out there!
Yahoo did not do the right thing by its investors and should have sold for the top dollar.

I dont think MS will persue the aquisition of Yahoo untill its worthless, but im sure they will merge with someone else before considering MS as a viable option. In the meantime MS will use it as an example and move onto something more strategic. Improving ' Live ' would be their best longterm goal. $5 Billion to improve Live seems very doable, especially with one of its competitors about to hit the ground floor!

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
Microsoft would be better off taking just a fraction of the money that would have been used in a takover bid of yahoo, and strengthening their own Live brand. Yahoo isn't even relevant anymore.

I still use Yahoo as my email account:slap::slap:

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Memory 2GB Corsair 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 300GB 7.2kRPM Seagate for OS; 74GB 10kRPM WD for Games
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
they should have sold. yahoo really dies suck

Fuck yea they should have. Yahoo stock was ~$20 before the MS bid. Immediately after the bid, their stocks rose to $30. MS was offering ~$32. That's 30% more than yahoo was worth. Their stocks have been falling ever since 2000. Yahoo is a piece of shit, not worth $40 per share or whatever they were asking for.

The upper management only denied the request so they could keep their jobs. I'm glad MS pulled their bid. I can't wait until monday!!!!!

I still use Yahoo as my email account:slap::slap:
Exactly. You, and people like you, are the ONLY reason MS wants to buy Yahoo. There's really nothing else besides a user base that Yahoo can contribute.

V

v-zero

Pure idiocy. Yahoo shares will drop to $10 a piece by q4 and then MS will buy them out for bugger all.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
yahoo widgets are pwnage :slap:

only good thing about yahoo really..

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair hero viii (wifi) x570
Cooling AlphaCool Aurora 420mm
Memory Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 4133MHz 32GB Kit
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 3070
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Thermaltake Core X71
Power Supply Corsair RM850 80 plus gold
Software Windows 10
tbh looks to me as if yahoo is holding out to see how much ms would raise the price now ms have pulled out i reckon a deal will be made pretty soon if yahoo cannot find another buyer.

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Yahoo i rekon will have to accept a lower offer cus google aint gonna be there saviour.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Google will be Yahoo's new partner.

Unfortunate that MS is literally failing on so many fronts right now it's not even funny.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Memory 2GB Corsair 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 300GB 7.2kRPM Seagate for OS; 74GB 10kRPM WD for Games
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
I don't consider failing to mean withdrawing a ridiculously bloated bid for a shitty company.