• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon 9550 going at 450/241, is this right?

Mercenary4

Processor Intel P4 3.0e
Motherboard Abit IS-7
Cooling Vantec, except ThermalTake video memory coolers and Logisys duct
Memory 4X Corsair 256Mb DDR400(PC3200)
Video Card(s) ATI AIW AGP 2006 Edition
Storage Western Digital Raptor 37Gb
Display(s) Envision 17" CRT
Case FMI/CompUSA
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS w/4.1
Power Supply E-Power Puma II
Software XP2 w/Live, ATI CCC/MMC, ATI Tool, Creative HQ, Logitech, FutureMark, Rockstar
Frogger said:
bigger better stronger faster need i say more

Uh, yea, more expensive:eek:

thetarget

Lol... hey all this HT talk makes me excited LOL If... i really found sometools to unlock the HT lock... mb is next :D

Mercenary4

Processor Intel P4 3.0e
Motherboard Abit IS-7
Case FMI/CompUSA
Software XP2 w/Live, ATI CCC/MMC, ATI Tool, Creative HQ, Logitech, FutureMark, Rockstar
It would be interesting, sort of like the locked pipelines in the 9500 and 9700. The only problem is that a good percentage of these GPU's locked pipelines are no good. In theory, the same could be true for the Northwood CPU. If you can actually unlock the HT (sort of like having two pipelines in your CPU) who knows if it actually would be stable. Not to mention the amount of heat that might be generated.

Compare the 1.6a Northwood which has a 16x multiplier (runs >100F idle, >120F load) to the 3.0e which has a 15x multiplier (runs >120F idle, <160F load). Granted the 3.0e has extra instuctions, but it is kind of like having two 1.5a Northwoods in one unit.

This is all theory, and I use these two CPU's 'cause I have both and a 2.5a. The 2.5a can only overclock to about 3GHz, while the 1.6 can safely OC to <2.1GHz. If there is a way to unlock a second "pipeline", the 1.6 could in theory run at 4.2GHz OC. I am basing this on what I know of DDR memory and other parts that have in the last few years been made avaliable with double data handling.

Look at the GPU's out now handling up to 18 pipelines for ATI and 24 for nVidia! Just imagine what a CPU that could handle that would do. Maybe we already have them and don't know it, or they are being use by the military (they always have the good toys first).

It would appear that your mobo is ready for a HT CPU, you just don't have one installed. When I ran FutureMarks benchmarks it said that HT was available but disabled with the 1.6a and the 2.5a. As soon as I put the 3.0e in HT was enabled and it showed two logical processors! Don't feel bad, though, I have a SOYO mobo that I got to go with the 1.6a that was 4x AGP. The North bus chip (845) is the same that is on some mobo's that handle HT, if you can find one that runs 400fsb, or 533fsb. There maybe some in exsitance, but they are not mainstream CPU's.

Last edited:

thetarget

Well there isn't much of a dissappointment... I've used this box for 5 yr+ Lol... only that recently then i found out this HT-or-not things Lol... Oh yeah... I've up my 9550 to 450/237 LOl... Ithink it's the max now... i'm OCing my CPU too... so i think i'll leave it to rest at 350/210 untill my CPU is stable.. good luck to me :D

Mercenary4

Processor Intel P4 3.0e
Motherboard Abit IS-7
Case FMI/CompUSA
Did you check to see what memory you had, and what the manufacturer recommended speed was. I am not referring to what Powercolor says, but what the chip maker says their chips run at. Eg.: Samsung 5.0 runs at 200mHz/or DDR400, but ATI clocks it at 196mHz. Without mem koolers, I wouldn't recommend OC'ing the memory on your card.

Good luck to you in your quest for higher performance for free, well besides hard work, hours of testing, and the anxiety of burning something out!

thetarget

i htink mine is the 5n one... im OCing it nevertheless... going to buy cooler soon

Mercenary4

Processor Intel P4 3.0e
Motherboard Abit IS-7
Case FMI/CompUSA
Oh, one thought on HT enabled/disabled. With a HT CPU in the BIOS of my IS-7 there is an option to disable it. When I put a non-HT CPU in, this option is not even there. It maybe that you can't enable it w/o a HT CPU, but with one you can disable it. Why would you want to, I don't know. I'm not even going to try.

thetarget

Lol haha thanks for the info mate... i think i can't get pass 142 FSB... my warcraft3 simply crashes.... and it's only 2.56 lolz

Mercenary4

Processor Intel P4 3.0e
Motherboard Abit IS-7
Case FMI/CompUSA
I have only pushed my 1.6a to 133fsb/2.1GHz even though it will go higher. The 2.5a won't even boot at 133fsb, so it runs at 120fsb/3.0GHz. It all depends on your CPU/Mem/mobo and cooling really.

thetarget

Hey i wanna ask... is it possible to install a temperature sensor to my powercolor 9550?