• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Router that appears to reset

Miscelaneous Gamer

System Name Dell Dimension 5150
Processor Pentium 4 3.2GHz Hyperthreading
Cooling Stock cooling
Memory 2GB DDRII RAM
Video Card(s) AMD/ATi Radeon HD 4670 512MB
Storage 2 x 250GB SATA, 3 x 500GB external HDD
Display(s) LG Flatron M198WA-BT 19" LCD Widescreen monitorTV
Case Stock Dell Dimension 5150 case
Audio Device(s) Stock Dell Dimension 5150 audio
Power Supply Stock
Software WindowsXP
Benchmark Scores I'll get some benchmarking tool sometime.
We recently joined up with Bigpond for a slab of 25GB a month, and we were given a 2Wire router. To connect to this router I bought a D-link Wireless G DWA-110 USB Adapter. This set up works nicely and I have one little issue. I've gone through many ways to combat, but I need some advice.

The 2Wire 2701HGV-W router resets itself, but it appears to only occur while playing Team Fortress 2.

I have installed Bandwidth Vista, to monitor the bandwidth on this computer. I know it's not this computer, due to having outgoing and incoming packets sent to/from this computer. When the router resets itself I seem to get approximately 4-8bytes incoming, a drop from the usual 4-8kb/s incoming. But, outgoing sits at it's usual 3kb/s, usuals being what TF2 uses. Downloads are about a rough 40-100kb/s (average 70kb/s) through other programs.

We have three devices connected wirelessly to the router, but I've had this issue when neither of the other two are connected and while they are connected.

Advice request:
Can I prevent the router from needing to reset?
Should I get a better router?

System Name :3
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Cooling cm 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 275
Storage WD black 500gb Samsung 1tb
Display(s) 27" 1366x768 Olevia 527v
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ac
Software Windows 8 pro
this is a very normal thing when it comes to consumer routers, its due to their really really really bad software they run *really bad* like windows ME kinda bad, if you want something that will always work flawlessly, run openWRT, it runs on quite a few different routers now a days, its a linux thing so its hard to use, thats why its important to get a router thats got enough flash space to run openWRT and X-Wrt [X-Wrt is a web gui for openWRT that makes things a whole lot accessable to someone who doesnt know what they are doing, or doesnt like linux etc]

mine is a WRT54G v2.0 [32mb ram 4mb flash] dont go under 4mb flash, dont go under 16mb ram, if you can, more is great, of the current routers the WRT54GL is kind of a rip off, its only got 4mb flash space and 16mb ram, so its only just barely good enough, and youll want room to add packages, openWRT packages are like deb or rpm packages in linux basicly, some good stuff

i strongly suggest avila gateworks routers, they are insanely overpowered, they are solidly real routers with all the things you could ever need, plus you can get one going with a really good wifi card, and a good switch for less than you would pay for a top of the line N consumer router, which would in the end be only half as powerfull, and prolly be crashy every time you actually use it.

my router has never ever crashed, its uptime is a perfect record of how long its been since the power went out, i kinda wanna get it its own UPS so i can have it never crash and get its uptime up to like 10 years, that would be kinda awesome

oh, and if you *really* dont wanna spend any money, those routers crash alot less if you kill off their NAT [by setting a DMZ]
then it should only crash every so often, like it would if it wasnt getting used [cuz mostly its not]

Miscelaneous Gamer

Cooling Stock cooling
Memory 2GB DDRII RAM
Power Supply Stock
Software WindowsXP
this is a very normal thing when it comes to consumer routers, its due to their really really really bad software they run *really bad* like windows ME kinda bad, if you want something that will always work flawlessly, run openWRT, it runs on quite a few different routers now a days, its a linux thing so its hard to use, thats why its important to get a router thats got enough flash space to run openWRT and X-Wrt [X-Wrt is a web gui for openWRT that makes things a whole lot accessable to someone who doesnt know what they are doing, or doesnt like linux etc]

mine is a WRT54G v2.0 [32mb ram 4mb flash] dont go under 4mb flash, dont go under 16mb ram, if you can, more is great, of the current routers the WRT54GL is kind of a rip off, its only got 4mb flash space and 16mb ram, so its only just barely good enough, and youll want room to add packages, openWRT packages are like deb or rpm packages in linux basicly, some good stuff
I'm not particularly interested in changing it's OS or firmware, so, I dont think this would be the best idea for me. Way too new for the meantime. Perhaps I'll keep this in mind though.

i strongly suggest avila gateworks routers, they are insanely overpowered, they are solidly real routers with all the things you could ever need, plus you can get one going with a really good wifi card, and a good switch for less than you would pay for a top of the line N consumer router, which would in the end be only half as powerfull, and prolly be crashy every time you actually use it.
Care to supply a link to a good deal?
my router has never ever crashed, its uptime is a perfect record of how long its been since the power went out, i kinda wanna get it its own UPS so i can have it never crash and get its uptime up to like 10 years, that would be kinda awesome
I've heard of UPS's, but I'm not sure what they are.

oh, and if you *really* dont wanna spend any money, those routers crash alot less if you kill off their NAT [by setting a DMZ]
then it should only crash every so often, like it would if it wasnt getting used [cuz mostly its not]
The router has four devices connected to it, my computer, my Wii, a laptop and another computer, I'll have to check their antivirus and firewall before I enable the DMZ for thier devices.
I've got sufficient AV/SW/FW on my machine, and I've enabled DMZ for the machine.

By the way, DMZ is only set individually, so I'm not sure if it's NAT would be off when I do.

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Cooling cm 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ac
Software Windows 8 pro
UPS: battery backup unit

DMZ is a thing where the router gives off all connectivity to a single device, so the single device has to do all the real work of routing packets, meaning the router can nolonger forward any ports, the device with DMZ has to, then if the device is less crashy it can route the packets better, or simply be a server and serve everything so no packet forwarding is nesisary.

http://shop.gateworks.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3

that is cheaper than a WRT54GS v1.0 to 3.0
it would also requre you to buy a WIFI card if you wanted wifi, and a switch for your internal network
oh, and also a case, since its just a board it goes inside a case, they have ones for indoors and outdoors on their website

if only someone made a FAQ for all this stuff :(

Last edited:

Miscelaneous Gamer

Cooling Stock cooling
Memory 2GB DDRII RAM
Power Supply Stock
Software WindowsXP
UPS: battery backup unit

DMZ is a thing where the router gives off all connectivity to a single device, so the single device has to do all the real work of routing packets, meaning the router can nolonger forward any ports, the device with DMZ has to, then if the device is less crashy it can route the packets better, or simply be a server and serve everything so no packet forwarding is nesisary.

http://shop.gateworks.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3

that is cheaper than a WRT54GS v1.0 to 3.0
it would also requre you to buy a WIFI card if you wanted wifi, and a switch for your internal network
oh, and also a case, since its just a board it goes inside a case, they have ones for indoors and outdoors on their website

if only someone made a FAQ for all this stuff :(

Um, that may not be something that would suit us, perhaps it would be better to get a new common relyable Router.

Cooling cm 212 EVO
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Software Windows 8 pro
they arnt relyable tho :( *cries*

Miscelaneous Gamer

Cooling Stock cooling
Memory 2GB DDRII RAM
Power Supply Stock
Software WindowsXP
The router seems to have a few "Attack Detection" settings, should I keep these enabled?

Oh, and it has usb interfaces, should I disable these? Noone's using them...

Oh, and what's this? "Power Setting" = "4"

Cooling cm 212 EVO
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Software Windows 8 pro
attack detection is usualy not that great of a thing.

yay usb that could be alot of fun, especialy if linux supports that one

as for power setting, im not sure but i think that might have something to do with the wifi :? i tried to look it up but found no relevant info [without firmware revision tho]

some site said that older versions of the firwmare had it only

i was looking through and i noticed that router can only handle a couple hundred connections at once, mine his into the high thousands and even further prolly, i havnt ever had an isp that could fully max it out so far, thats one thing that makes torrents work really well, or especialy if you have alot of users doing stuff at once [what a router is even for lol]

Last edited:

Miscelaneous Gamer

Cooling Stock cooling
Memory 2GB DDRII RAM
Power Supply Stock
Software WindowsXP
attack detection is usualy not that great of a thing.

yay usb that could be alot of fun, especialy if linux supports that one

as for power setting, im not sure but i think that might have something to do with the wifi :? i tried to look it up but found no relevant info [without firmware revision tho]

some site said that older versions of the firwmare had it only

i was looking through and i noticed that router can only handle a couple hundred connections at once, mine his into the high thousands and even further prolly, i havnt ever had an isp that could fully max it out so far, thats one thing that makes torrents work really well, or especialy if you have alot of users doing stuff at once [what a router is even for lol]

Would disabling these improve relyability?

I reckon power setting could be for power output for the wireless range.

If all else fails I'll get a billion router or something.

Cooling cm 212 EVO
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Software Windows 8 pro
the only thing you can really do if your dead set on messing up your life with a router that will crash alot is to set a DMZ, kill all port forwards, and let the DMZ forward your ports, thats a huge waste tho since your useing a computer as a router, like with linux installed, so u can forward ports around.... wtf why not just get a router that can run openWRT :?

its the act of routeing packets that crashes the routers, they are coded like windows ME.

./tantrum

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
I have a 2-wire router with bigpond and it works fine (i.e. no crashes, really good speed performance). I dont think there is anything wrong with the software. I'd say you just have something wrong with your hadware, either the router or further up the line. I suggest you talk with telstra who can test the line and/or replace your router if it's faulty.

I've no doubt my modem is made as economically as possible but it does a great job. I dont run a DMZ and TF works ok for me. Here are some of my details if they may help

Model : 2701HGV-W
Software: 5.29.113.13
Incoming :21193 kbps
outgoing: 1022 kbps
I have 3 lan and 1 wireless connected, all set up under maximum protection in the firewall. All the other settings are default.
I tried out full stealth mode recently and it works ok(so far)

Miscelaneous Gamer

Cooling Stock cooling
Memory 2GB DDRII RAM
Power Supply Stock
Software WindowsXP
I have a 2-wire router with bigpond and it works fine (i.e. no crashes, really good speed performance). I dont think there is anything wrong with the software. I'd say you just have something wrong with your hadware, either the router or further up the line. I suggest you talk with telstra who can test the line and/or replace your router if it's faulty.

I've no doubt my modem is made as economically as possible but it does a great job. I dont run a DMZ and TF works ok for me. Here are some of my details if they may help

Model : 2701HGV-W
Software: 5.29.113.13
Incoming :21193 kbps
outgoing: 1022 kbps
I have 3 lan and 1 wireless connected, all set up under maximum protection in the firewall. All the other settings are default.
I tried out full stealth mode recently and it works ok(so far)

tried it with any steam games?

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original