• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4870X2 to be Released in Q2 2008, Will be Cheaper Than GTX280

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
I mean if ATI doesn't deliver, they will be owned off the line again and continue to lose.
(8800 came out and ATI could only sit there a sulk for a year)

I would tend to agree . . . but ATI is typically right on par with nVidia releases - that didn't change until the late arrival of the HD2000 series, and I still believe that delay had more to do with the AMD/ATI merger than with not having the cards ready.

But, if defense of ATI over that - they've been releasing new series like wild-bulls in an effort to catch back up to nVidia, meanwhile, nVidia has been sandbagging their GPUs. Every time ATI has something new and definitely promising, we quickly hear of another release slated from nVidia . . . and lo and behold, it's a refinement or a re-hash of their current tech. Sandbagging is a little annoying for us consumers, as we're subjected to resuscitated offerings until the competition is back on par - look at Intel vs AMD. Intel has been sandbagging their CPUs for a long time now.

But, again, paper specs don't mean much - not until we can see firsthand how the hardware performs. As much as everyone is skeptical of the R700, I'm defi routing for ATI with this one. R700 was developed alongside R600, and it appears to address all the shortcomings of the R600 series. Now, we saw how close ATI was able to get up on nVidia with R600 and a series of revisions. They might not have been neck and neck, but they were defi catching up with a hurry. If R700 performs better than R600 in all areas, I think it'll defi be a surprise.

keep in mind, also, ATI has always been very conservative as to what their hardware is capable of, even on paper. The last series we saw that trumped nVidias was the 1900 series, and ATI released that one quietly. The last card that ATi have acted proud about was the HD3870x2, and, TBH, I think they defi deserve their trumpets on that one.