• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Receives Next-Generation OpenGL ES 2.0 Graphics Technology Certification

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
AMD today announced that it has reached a new milestone in the mobile graphics industry as the first 3D graphics technology provider to achieve OpenGL ES 2.0 conformance certification. AMD OpenGL ES 2.0 mobile graphics technology, which will be included in AMD processors, is based on the same AMD Unified Shader Architecture powering the Microsoft Xbox 360 video game console.

OpenGL ES 2.0, an industry-specified application programming interface (API), enables rapid rendering of cutting-edge 3D graphics for a variety of consumer electronics devices. As a leading supplier of media processors and graphics cores for the handheld market, AMD works with an ecosystem of device makers, software developers and baseband suppliers to deliver innovative technology solutions that can yield truly compelling mobile content. The company has been an early and active proponent of the OpenGL ES 2.0 API.

"We are pleased to be the first technology provider to achieve OpenGL ES 2.0 certification from the Khronos Group," said Mikko Saari, senior director of design engineering for AMD's Handheld division. "This underscores our commitment to building and nurturing the mobile gaming ecosystem to thrill consumers while providing our OEM customers and the mobile gaming community with a competitive advantage."

To achieve conformance, the AMD OpenGL ES 2.0 implementation met key feature requirements while being rigorously tested and reviewed by the Khronos Group, the independent industry consortium responsible for the development, promotion and certification of the OpenGL ES standard.

"We congratulate AMD as the first organization to achieve certification for its OpenGL ES 2.0 implementation," said Khronos Group president Neil Trevett. "OpenGL ES 2.0 enables fully-programmable 3D graphics on embedded systems. With the support of leading suppliers such as AMD, OpenGL ES 2.0 will usher in a new generation of devices that will enable revolutionary applications, ultimately driving consumer demand."

Working closely with leading chipset suppliers, OEMs and application developers, AMD aims to unleash a new world of mobile entertainment experiences. By delivering a standards-compliant platform, AMD helps software developers to rely on a given set of features and functionality, reducing design cycles and freeing them to focus on developing games that look and play great.

"With all of the vast differences between mobile phone device hardware, operating systems and networks, it is essential that we have a single graphics standard," said Xavier Carrillo-Costa, CEO of Digital Legends Entertainment, a leading developer of games for mobile devices. "AMD has demonstrated strong leadership and commitment to the industry while developing a fantastic graphics and gaming architecture."

The AMD OpenGL ES 2.0 conformance test suite review was based on the AMD Z430 developer's kit. The AMD Z430 OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics technology was demonstrated during the 2008 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, where AMD also announced its next-generation AMD Z460 graphics core. AMD OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics technologies are designed to deliver fully programmable shader models for realistic 3D graphics to revolutionize the mobile gaming experience for portable devices.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Reactions: Kei
System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
Sweet!

Hopefully dev's will make use of this.

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Motherboard ASRock z68 pro3-m
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB 2 x 4GB 1600mhz
Storage OCZ Agility3 60GB(boot) 2x320GB Raid0(storage)
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750w
Software Win 7 x64
Sweet!
Good for AMD. : )

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
So is this just for the mobile market or did I skip over where it will be in desktop graphics solutions.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember

PrudentPrincess

System Name Foobox3000
Processor Core 2 Duo 36750@3.46ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
Memory 2gb (2x1gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800gtx
Storage 500gb 7200prm IDE
Display(s) Sceptre 19"
Case Apevia X-Qpack 2 Red
Power Supply 500w Apevia generic
Too bad M$ made shitX and practically forces ppl to use it.

I remember when DX8 came out MS claimed to have "advanced water effects" that were possible with OpenGL for years. :laugh:

System Name Blue Monolith (working on name)
Processor AMD Phenom II 1090T... on H2O
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7
Cooling EK-Supreme with 2 radiators for the moment ~ 22 celsius
Memory Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 KHX1600C8D3K2
Video Card(s) hd 6870 Sapphire 1GB
Storage 8x 500GB Seagate Barracuda on LSI controller
Display(s) Samsung 206BW
Case Aplus Black Pearl WCR with water cooling mounts :)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
Power Supply Gigabyte ODIN GT-800 (that with software)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores WORKING IN PROGRESS P10464 in VANTAGE(this is the old score)
very simple.... amd fallow the road to the FUSION PROCESOR :d

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7

Microsoft wouldn't have anyway of keeping game developers locked in their market without DirectX :)

Everyone remember back in the the early days of Half-Life, or early CS, or any early Valve mod for that matter...They were all playing in OpenGL. :p

Glide is supported by Windows without any issues. From what I've understood most programmers wish you the best writing for Glide, since you need that.
Bashing MS with false accusations doesn't do you much good. Besides, if you hate MS so much I assume you're our local Linux/BSD/OSX/whatever guru?

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Glide is supported by Windows without any issues. From what I've understood most programmers wish you the best writing for Glide, since you need that.
Bashing MS with false accusations doesn't do you much good. Besides, if you hate MS so much I assume you're our local Linux/BSD/OSX/whatever guru?

I think he was bashing DirectX, not MS directly. Why do you suppose that someone must a be a "OSX/Linux guru" just because they bash ONE of MS's many products?

In your line of thinking, if one hates Windows Media Player, they must be a Mac/Linux/OSX guru. No offense.

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
I don't think theres anything stopping developers from using OpenGL over DirectX if they really want to. I'm just curious as to how difficult it would be to program with this new OpenGL ES 2.0.

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
I don't think theres anything stopping developers from using OpenGL over DirectX if they really want to. I'm just curious as to how difficult it would be to program with this new OpenGL ES 2.0.

I hear what your saying, but I think if AMD can drive the consumers then the developers will have to follow won't they?

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Read the article, you obviously haven't.

hey dan read through this i think you forgot what you wrote
DanTheBanjoman said:
Posting in a thread
  • Be polite, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all. This includes trolling, continuous use of bad language (ie. cussing), flaming and insulting others.
  • Short and pointless posts like "yeah", "me too" or "haha" can be made on the rest of the internet, not here. Post count doesn't increase your e-penis.
  • Stay on topic, changing the topic won't help the discussion.

Behavior that is inappropriate/should be reported
  • Insulting other forum members (calling someone makes you look stupid anyways)
  • Racist, hateful, and otherwise demeaning comments will not be tolerated; whether meant as a joke or not.
  • "Trolling"
    Wikipedia said:
    Trolls can be existing members of a community that rarely post and often contribute no useful information to the thread, but instead make argumentative posts in an attempt to discredit another person, more often than not based on what they thought was said rather than what was actually said by the other person, concentrating almost exclusively on facts irrelevant to the point of the conversation, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others. The key element under attack by a troll is the forum or group's recognized and agreed upon power structure. To this extent, a troll does not necessarily have to make malicious or incorrect comments
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(internet)
  • Posting useless/wrong information in response to a serious topic.
  • Non-constructive criticism of a person's English
  • Posting "FUD" (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt), especially if the poster is trying to pass it off as legitimate news.
  • Posting a lot of tech news articles in the forums. One or two things when the newsposters are all on vacation is nice, but in general, please leave the newsposting to the news posters. It's their job.
  • Post whoring (posting nonsense for the pure joy of it, otherwise known as spamming or thread-crapping).
Following these simple guidelines makes our job as moderator a lot easier, please keep this in mind when posting.

i was polite enough to bold your violations for you ;)

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
LOL, I don't care about insults and irrelevant references to glide haha. DirectX blows and it's no secret (direct access to hardware or another slow software layer? hmmmm, not to mention quality differences). If he wants to attend M$ conferences and dress up in drag with Ballmer, then by all means.... :laugh:

I do, in fact, love linux, but I'll admit, it's too cumbersome for me to use most of the time b/c I'm a big gamer. But don't think for a second that if productivity was my goal, that I would even install windows.

bigtye

System Name ibuiltit
Processor E8500 stock for now
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45 DS4
Cooling CPU- Xigmatek Red Scorpion, 1x23cm fan, 3x12cm fan
Memory 4gb Corsair Dominator 8500
Video Card(s) Asus 5850 1gb
Storage Samsung 750gb F1, 500bg F1 for backup
Display(s) Samsung 226BW
Case Thermaltake Armour+
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair 750 TX
Software xp 32 bit SP3, Win 7 64 bit
IS it likely that this development of open gl for mobile gaming will filter across to mainstream pc gaming or is more likely to remain isolated to the market segment of mobile gaming?

Obviously the hardware constraints of mobile gaming platforms require developers to be more efficient with how they deliver the results than with pc, eg dx 10 is never going to work on my mobile phone:laugh:. However it seems to do fine (sort of) on pc.

As such will there be any impetues to bring this across?

Tye

philbrown23

System Name Dominator
Processor INTEL C2Q Q6600 FTW!!
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-E!!!
Cooling TEC cooled cpu, everything else is under water :D
Memory 4GB CELL SHOCK D9GMH 1066MHZ/4GB CRUCIAL REDS
Video Card(s) 4850 (VT)/ 4850 IN CROSSFIRE!
Storage western digital= 1X 250GB, 1X 500GB, IDE 160GB (BOOT DRIVE ONLY). SEAGATE FREE AGENT 500GB EHDD
Display(s) viewsonic 19" hd widescreen
Case ROCKETFISH FOR NOW :(
Audio Device(s) ONBOARD WORKS JUST FINE FOR ME :p
Power Supply ULTRA X3 1KW MODULAR
Software win vista ultimate 64 TWEAKED!!!
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=434759 3dm06: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm0

owned! ( no offense, but it was quite good)

PrudentPrincess

System Name Foobox3000
Processor Core 2 Duo 36750@3.46ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
Memory 2gb (2x1gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800gtx
Storage 500gb 7200prm IDE
Display(s) Sceptre 19"
Case Apevia X-Qpack 2 Red
Power Supply 500w Apevia generic
I might have to quote this entire thread in the "Whats wrong with our forum?" thread for mods being dumbasses. Quoting eachother to prove points is just as bad as trolling (cdawall), try to contribute to a thread next time. I can't believe I have to be the one to tell you guys that. Oh and the people that thanked them are just as bad, its encouraging breaking forum rules. Try telling eachother off in a PM next time, okay?

Now to get back on topic,
if done properly it could filter down to the consumer market, alot of larger game companys are seeing the mobile market as being the next big thing, since dev costs tend to be lower then with pc's and consols, hell some compay made a version of packman "3d" that become extreamly popular around here, they made serious money in it, everybody at the local community college whos phone could run it had it, thats 3-5bucks a pop and hundreds if not thousands of people, for a game that probbly took some programer a couple days to make.

I remember that game! I had it (or a different version of it) on my old pda/cellphone. Hey does anyone around here know what Spore for mobile is using? The system specs are so low for that game, I'm friggin' pumped!

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Id like to see something like this in the console/desktop market myself.

jbizzler

OpenGL 2.0 ES is the graphics library used on the PS3, which has an NVIDIA GPU. This article doesn't make any sense to me because of that and other OpenGL ES 2.0 devices (iPhone, etc). It's not new tech. Here's what Wikipedia says:

OpenGL ES 2.0, publicly released in August 2005, eliminates most of the fixed-function rendering pipeline in favor of a programmable one. Almost all rendering features of the transform and lighting pipelines, such as the specification of materials and light parameters formerly specified by the fixed-function API, are replaced by shaders written by the graphics programmer. As a result, OpenGL ES 2.0 is not backwards compatible with OpenGL ES 1.1.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

MS doesn't, developers do. Besides, this article has little to do with PC graphics.

He wasn't impolite in pointing out he didn't read the article, which he really didn't. Walk into a saloon with the zipper of your trouser open, somebody points that out to you, it doesn't really become impolite.