• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CoolIT Systems Develops Liquid Cooling for Intel’s Skull Trail Motherboard

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
CoolIT Systems announces its new "ST" line of liquid cooling solutions designed specifically to work with Intel's D5400XS motherboard (formerly codenamed Skull Trail). The lineup consists of the Boreas MTEC Chassis ST and PURE ST both of which provide maintenance-free, aggressive cooling power to both CPUs and Chipset, reduce noise, and enhance system reliability. The PURE ST easily fits into any chassis with a 120mm fan mount and efficiently cools both CPUs and the chipset with near silent operation. The Boreas MTEC Chassis ST combines CoolIT's most powerful MTEC technology in the Boreas with the well renowned Silverstone TJ07 chassis to create the ideal barebones kit for the most avid PC enthusiast to the experienced professional content creator. Both the Boreas MTEC Chassis ST and PURE ST are available from multiple distributors and online etailers, with street prices expected to be $899 and $269 respectively. "CoolIT's new ST lineup will enable PC Enthusiasts to fully maximize the performance of Intel's new Skull Trail platform technology" said Geoff Lyon, CEO of CoolIT Systems. " We've worked closelywith Intel to develop this customized Skull Trail liquid cooling solution and the end result will excite PC Enthusiasts and Gamers world-wide ."

"We've been extremely impressed with CoolIT's ability to enable gains in overclocking performance, even while still reducing system noise and providing a low-maintenance, simple installation." remarks Erik Cubbage, Product Marketing Engineer for Intel corporation. "The new ST coolers combined with our enthusiast D5400XS motherboard yield mind-boggling computing performance that is exciting the industry."
CoolIT Systems will be working alongside Intel to develop liquid cooling solutions for future Intel Desktop Boards, as well as other applications which will launch in the near future.

For more information on the CoolIT Systems, go to http://www.coolitsystems.com

About CoolIT Systems

CoolIT Systems has been working with industry leaders in the computer industry to research, design, and deliver next generation cooling products that provide a comprehensive solution while exceeding high OEM standards for reliability and maintenance-free operation. This carefully designed and patented technology unleashes the full potential of a PC, providing superior cooling performance while reducing system level noise and improving reliability of vital components. The CoolIT MTEC Technology can be found in the top names in performance computing like Dell, Alienware, Velocity Micro, MAINGEAR, Hypersonic, Biohazard, Ultraforce, Systemax, and Shuttle. CoolIT also works with the AMD engineering group

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
If only my money tree grew.

Even then my e-penis wouldn't be satisfied.

:(

CoolIT are pretty good though, I like the kit they did for Shuttle.

ktr

Meh, the Skulltrail is not that great of a board. Its server ECC memory is a HUGE bottleneck, and makes have higher performance GPU's useless.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Not to mention CoolIT for as good as they are, charges an arm and a leg for their products. Id love to get the boreas for my pc (and hook up gpu and chipset cooling) but that would be expensive. I think the original boreas is like 499 or 599.,

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
Meh, the Skulltrail is not that great of a board. Its server ECC memory is a HUGE bottleneck, and makes have higher performance GPU's useless.

You're right, it sucks. It's designed to be the ultimate enthusiast platform and it's a complete joke as it currently stands. Maybe we'll see some sort of improvement once games start utilizing more than one core. If Intel jump on the same bandwagon as AMD are planning on doing and make the CPU force whatever program to make use of the idle cores then it'd be extremely quick.

Not to mention CoolIT for as good as they are, charges an arm and a leg for their products. Id love to get the boreas for my pc (and hook up gpu and chipset cooling) but that would be expensive. I think the original boreas is like 499 or 599.,

That's another problem, the expensive is a limiting factor - you could argue you're paying for quality and what y'get I suppose.

Still wish my money tree grew.

OMG, the middle pic....its a... skulltrail in a tj09.....the prophecy has been fulfilled...

Seriously though, not that great, bottleneck??????

gues them WORLD RECORDs seet by fugger and kingpin are fake....HATERS

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
OMG, the middle pic....its a... skulltrail in a tj09.....the prophecy has been fulfilled...

Their world record 3DMark runs are still set using DDR2 or 3 boards, not Skulltrail. In fact, the 06 record is set using a QX9650 on an Asus P5E 64 WS and the Vantage record is set on an nVidia chipset. There's a reason they don't use them for their gfx benches, and that's because Skulltrail doesn't clock as well, and is severely limited by it's memory system.

In short, the others here aren't hating, they are right. Intel dropped the ball by using FB-DIMMs.

Last edited:

ktr

No records were set by skull trail.

The '06 marks: http://service.futuremark.com/resultComparison.action?compareResultId=6147021&compareResultType=14

The Vantage marks: http://service.futuremark.com/resultComparison.action?compareResultId=162493&compareResultType=19

ktr

Well Skulltrail is meant to be the ultimate enthusiast gaming platform...and guess what, it sucks balls as a gaming platform. Its server ECC memory @ 800mhz is so slow for its high peformance cpu and gpu, that it bottlenecks them. If Skulltrail is meant to be the ultimate computations platform...that is another story.

that would depend on where your gaming enthusiasm lies team fortress man,if i were putting together a game server im sure the skulltrail would indeed surpass its marketing expectation

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
that would depend on where your gaming enthusiasm lies team fortress man,if i were putting together a game server im sure the skulltrail would indeed surpass its marketing expectation

Skulltrail is totally unnecessary for a gaming server. You can do that with a simple dual core rig. Game servers don't need a whole lot of power. The most important thing for a game server is ping.

Face it, Skulltrail is a flop for gaming enthusiasts. The only things it has going for it are Crossfire and SLI on the same board. If you take SLI out of the equation, you're better off just buying a standard dual socket workstation board, for much less money. Even still the FB-DIMMS are gonna be the bottleneck.