• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new to overclock

thundersteel

hey guys new to the overclocking thing and i just got a radeon x800 pro. how high can i clock this thing without installing a cooling system? Does the find max core tool find the highest point your card will acheive? what is the maximum temperature i should not exceed? is there anyway to flash my x800 to an x800xt, with the additional pipelines?

kayone

Firstly check on ATITOOL, see if you actually already have 16 active pipes, if not, then yes you could flash to an XT/XT PE BIOS to get these extra pipes, aslong as your card can do the clocks of an XT/XT PE. I can get mine to XT PE with no troubles on stock cooling so cooling shouldn't be a problem for you. Mine idles at 40-45.

N

nightelf84

You might want to hold off the flashing bit. AFAIK, only x800pro vivos can be flashed to a x800xt/xt pe.

kayone

nightelf84 said:
You might want to hold off the flashing bit. AFAIK, only x800pro vivos can be flashed to a x800xt/xt pe.

If it can Do the clock speeds fine, theres no harm in flashing to see if it unlocks extra pipes, after all if it does or doesn't you can flash striaght back anyway.

N

nightelf84

kayone said:
If it can Do the clock speeds fine, theres no harm in flashing to see if it unlocks extra pipes, after all if it does or doesn't you can flash striaght back anyway.

If his card can do XT or XT/PE speeds without slapping on a custom cooling kit (which i believe he prefers) then its better for him to just stay at those speeds, or whichever max speeds he can achieve.

The r420 core on his X800 Pro will have the extra 4 pipes disabled by a laser cut so flashing will not enable them. Why flash when you know there's no significant benefits and risk a bad flash on a $400 dollar card.

kayone

nightelf84 said:
If his card can do XT or XT/PE speeds without slapping on a custom cooling kit (which i believe he prefers) then its better for him to just stay at those speeds, or whichever max speeds he can achieve.

The r420 core on his X800 Pro will have the extra 4 pipes disabled by a laser cut so flashing will not enable them. Why flash when you know there's no significant benefits and risk a bad flash on a $400 dollar card.

I know quite a few people who have sucessfully flashed an non VIVO Pro to an XT/XT PE unlocking the extra 4 pipes, which improved benchmarks significantly, that's why it's worth trying, and there is no RISK, if his card is capable of those speeds before flashing anyway.

thundersteel

thanks

thanks for the help guys i will probably holdoff on flashing the card as i seem to get great performance by overclocking just a wee bit. The temperature seems to be stable and Doom 3 runs pretty smooth. I also added ram to my computer which seems to help with speeds and loading of the game. :)