• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Knol Opens to Public, Article Authors Entitled to Revenue Share

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Touted as Google's answer to Wikipedia, the current most sought after online information resource, The Knol opens to public. Knols are authoritative articles about specific topics, written by people who know about those subjects. Today, Google is making Knol available to everyone.

Unlike Wikipedia being based on a MediaWiki system where users cen edit pretty much every article, and in some cases even abuse the system, Knol's approach includes that the author of an article maintains control over changes to it, the author can accept or reject changes before they become visible to public.

Knols include strong community tools which allow for many modes of interaction between readers and authors. People can submit comments, rate, or write a review of a knol. At the discretion of the author, a knol may include ads from our AdSense program. If an author chooses to include ads, Google will provide the author with a revenue share from the proceeds of those ad placements.

Here's another URL worth keeping handy: knol.google.com

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
I don't know so far google has just been doing things others have already done but doing it better than anyone else. Anyone remember yahoo? :laugh: Wikipedia is very good though, I don't see them taking over this one.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
wiki'll never die :nutkick:

Considering that you have a potential for getting paid for your work, you never know.

Better article = more hits = more expensive ad-space (not size AFAIK) = more revenue for you. Authors will put in a whole lot of work and churn out better articles than those on Wikipedia.

I don't know so far google has just been doing things others have already done but doing it better than anyone else. Anyone remember yahoo? :laugh: Wikipedia is very good though, I don't see them taking over this one.

...with the exception of Google Answers. It was a flop. You had to pay to get answered by 'experts'. Yahoo Answers beat it and took a community approach to the whole thing.

Aeon19

Considering that you have a potential for getting paid for your work, you never know..

I dont agree...coz if they pay me for an article i would write articles about something that i don't even know very well... "but hey, i don't care! they will pay me!" ....

On Wikipedia instead, good articles are written by good writers...without earnings....and more people can add/correct somethings to different articles. Result: more articles and freedom of thought..

Thats IMHO :)

[Sorry for my english]

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I dont agree...coz if they pay me for an article i would write articles about something that i don't even know very well... "but hey, i don't care! they will pay me!" ....

On Wikipedia instead, good articles are written by good writers...without earnings....and more people can add/correct somethings to different articles, risulting more articles and freedom of thought..

Thats IMHO :)

[Sorry for my english]

you didn't get it. They'll pay you only if your article is taking in enough hits (popularity) worthy of placing ads. It's not like you put up any random thing and get paid. So naturally authors would be inclined to make good articles that invite ad space and make money, the value of ad space will be directly proportional to the value of the article.

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
As long as the articles are accurate i cant see how it wont be sucsessful and will at least provide competition. Lets be honest ya can tell Wiki anything and it will beleive ya.

Aeon19

you didn't get it. They'll pay you only if your article is taking in enough hits (popularity) worthy of placing ads. It's not like you put up any random thing and get paid. So naturally authors would be inclined to make good articles that invite ad space and make money, the value of ad space will be directly proportional to the value of the article.

And what about freedom of thought? On wiki everyone can modify an article... On Knol only the author can modify it... And maybe mass of people moved by a trend could click on it...

Coz my english is bad i make an example:

Article: "iPhone is the best thing on the market"

Click\Thumbs UP: 999.999.999.999,1

And the author will become rich for having write a stupid article, but stupid people are lot...

Got it? [sorry for my english....again...]

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
You can modify Knols, just that your modifications will have to be approved by the author before they become public. Clicking a 'thumbs up' won't determine an article's popularity but its hitrate will. Simple web-business model.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
still this allows for bias, think about it this way, someone writes about Nvidia per say, and puts in stuff such as dont buy nvidia or nvidia is bad, now thats the author that does it, you want to correct it, you can't do so. So this system can be abused in this manner. Wiki has this issue but its usally fixed, i moniter sevral articles on wiki and when they are tampered with in such a manner as to introduce bias i usally restore the last update to the article. How can these articles be nutrual without this system.

Siluro

You do understand, that if an article in knol contradicts with the rest of the "public" opinion over the net it just won't cut it, right?

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Meh. Ill stick with wikipedia.

Jansku07

Processor 4000X2 @ 2,1Ghz w/ AC Freezer
Motherboard MSI K9AGM3-FD
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 3650 w/ 256MB GDDR3
Storage WD 320GB - 7200RPM
Display(s) DELL m991 /1024x768/ 85hz
Case resonating metal case
Power Supply FSP 350W -> 16A@12V
Software Vista Home Premium x86 SP2 FIN
Benchmark Scores oh noeees.
Wikipedia is too big and famous to be taken down by Knol. There's already info about almost everything I want to know without the need to look @ ads, and it's very easy to use.