• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Desktop Roadmap for 2009 Reveals no Surprises

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Without doubt, AMD needs something revolutionary to pull it out of the mess it set itself in. AMD's first reaction to the Conroe onslaught was to lower prices and build up a "Smarter Choice" repute, though with successive price cuts from Intel and down-scale products based on the Core architecture coming out by the fortnight, and the transit to 45nm fab process, there's been an increasing need for AMD to get back to the drawing boards with their CPU division.

From what looks like an excerpt from an AMD company slide, can be seen AMD's CPU plans for 2009. The chart broadly shows that K10 architecture is here to stay. Throughout the year, desktop CPUs based on the K10 architecture feature in the roadmap, with no signs of their "truly next-gen" architecture. AMD completes its transit to the 45nm silicon fabrication process and will finally embrace DDR3 system memory standards. To begin with, the fact that the Deneb core's entry slightly steps into the 2008 column shows that the Deneb core-based desktop CPU could release sometime towards the very end of this year. Sources note that two models based on the Deneb core could be out by the end of this year. It supports both DDR2 and DDR3 memory standards and socket compatible with current AM2+ and future AM3. From what's known so far, AM3 is the same 940 pin design that adds pins for the DDR3 memory interconnect between the CPU and the memory.

Deneb as we know is the K10 based quad-core 45nm derivative with 6 MB L3 caches. While Deneb aims to provide AM2+ and AM3 socket support, AMD will launch another quad-core chip core called Propus. This core lacks a level 3 cache, and is exclusive to the AM3. Presumably, it becomes exclusive since it might lack DDR2 memory controllers that Deneb and its predecessors had. Propus is aimed more to be a value offering, but hey, AMD's CPU lineup itself is basing heavily on the value moniker.

Towards mid-2009 a high-end Deneb FX chip is planned. The roadmap shows it to be exclusive to AM3 requiring DDR3 memory. Although it was indicated earlier about big plans to port this core to socket 1207 and possible DSDC based multi-CPU ganging, it's evidently out of the desktop roadmap, at least for 2009.

Moving on to triple-core and pretty-much the same form of variation as that between Deneb and Propus can be seen with Heka and Rana cores, with Rana lacking the L3 cache. These cores come in quick succession after Propus. There's a dual-core part on the chart called Regor as well. These 45nm AM3 supportive chips feature 1 MB L2 caches per core.

Moving on the thermal characteristics and the lineup looks largely the same except for that the highest offerings are rated at 125W followed by 95W chips and some Propus based parts being rated at even 45W. This is in comparison to current 65nm chips using the 140W, 125W and 95W ratings with some Agena parts being rated at even 65W. So there is a reduction attributing to the fab process transit, possibly higher clock speeds, though it isn't significant.

Finally, what's CPU talk without platform talk? Current 7-series chipsets find successors in the form of RD890 for the high-end and RS880D for performance thru mainstream segments. Current SB 750 southbridge chips are their sidekicks. RS880 and RS880C are the more mainstream thru value desktop platforms using the SB710 southbridge chips. The 8-series core logic exclusively supports the AM3 socket.

On the whole it doesn't look like there's something revolutionary though everything depends on how the Deneb core shapes up as it will without doubt be the torch-bearer for AMD in 2009 in its quest for a respectable market position. AMD plays a vital role in both CPU and consumer graphics segments in making sure innovations at humane prices are delivered to the consumer, from whichever market player products come from. Let the game begin.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

Viscarious

Processor AMD Phenom 9850BE
Motherboard ASUS M3A32MVP Deluxe 790FX
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9700
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracers 4G (1G x 4) 800Mhz CAS4
Video Card(s) VisionTek HD3870 + a VisionTek HD3870 OC Edition Xfire'd
Storage 320G WD SATA + 160G
Display(s) Gateway HD 19" 4ms
Case Raidmax Ninja
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply 650W Antec Earthwatts
Software Windows Vista 64bit SP1
Benchmark Scores candle_86 is a fanboi
I dont know what to say. The whole next year looks like nothing is going to improve besides DDR3 and a 300mhz gain from current phenoms.

I wish AMD didnt merge with ATI. If that never happened, then maybe AMD would have focused more on their CPUs then GPUs.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
Well I must say that's quite disappointing. I just don't see how a revised phenom is going to compete w/ nehalem. And they're only offering one chip to do it? Are they giving up, think that this the denrab is just gonna be that spectacular, or what? Or are they just settling into the bargain end? I just hope either they are hiding something in hopes of surprising intel, or the denrab is just all kinds of wonderful. I can't buy computers in a world where intel charges $500 for a mid-range chip, and I'd really rather not buy in one where they charge $1000+ for an unlocked multi.........

Viscarious

Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9700
Case Raidmax Ninja
I completely agree. I buy AMD cause their chips are cheap and they DO provide plenty of performance for everyday uses. Intel is ahead and are better with overclocks but no one really needs 4ghz processors. However, I want something new from AMD. Get off the KX/KXX architecture and move on, IMO.

System Name Kablamo
Processor Some Intel i5
Motherboard some gigabyte board
Cooling h80i
Memory samsung sticks that got a good review a few years back
Video Card(s) 6950 acting like a 6970
Storage some solid state ocz drives
Display(s) Samsung T260HD (1920 x 1200)
Case bitfenix microatx case
Audio Device(s) hyperx cloud II
Power Supply corsair 750 or similar
Mouse M65
Keyboard g510
Software win 10
any confirmation of the Deneb 4GHZ numbers that were flying around last week?

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60

Not yet, but if that roadmap is right it really better be 4ghz stock and fast core for core or they are dead in the water.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

No. We're yet to see what clock speeds those 125W chips are clocked at.

dani31

Processor AMD Phenom 9950 125W
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12P
Memory 4 x 1GB DDR2 1066 Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) RADEON HD4870 1GB
Storage 2 x Seagate 320GB single platters
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W
Software Vista x64 Home Basic
They just need to climb again in the high-end cpu market even if they do not steal the crown from Intel. They did so to Nvidia with their HD4800 series and worked out.

And I think that they have the potential.
Phenom was rushed to the market with a ton of problems. Now it's becoming mature, they have a working southbridge for it, and hopefully the transition to 45 will help power and speed.
For the transition to DDR3 they also should have enough competencies since memory management has been a strong point for AMD since forever.
ATI should also be integrated by now.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
This is amazing for AMD i mean iv never seen their old arch pass the 3ghz limit w/ ease.....but idk im sre intel has the answer eiher i7 wont be challanged by these new chips or they will drop proces and push out a few more extreme series cpu's like rebranded E7200's or 85-8600's clocked up to 4 GHZ either way clock for clock i just dont know if it will happen. but i have faith inamd does anyone know what their arch is called is it k10? or do they have a cooler name for it?

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I like seeing how you all are naysaying AMD for this. You always want new and revolutionary. Get off your damn high horse. While it may not be new, it does look like the new chips are sooner. There is really no sense in getting off the KX/KXX architecture if its still good and working for them. If going by what you all say, starting over on something new, they would be dead ducks, so to speak. They are progressing nicely and as Dani31 says, the phenom is maturing and alot of the kinks are being worked out. I dont need them to be better than Intel at anything. I need them to offer good value and performance, and damn it, they have done it! (/end rant)

This is not to say I wouldnt mind seeing them steal the crown...but if they do, you can believe the era of $1000+ chips would be back and probably even higher. The new chipset and the influx of the 750 SB is wonderful news.

Reactions: Kei

Viscarious

Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9700
Case Raidmax Ninja

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I like seeing how you all are naysaying AMD for this. You always want new and revolutionary. Get off your damn high horse. While it may not be new, it does look like the new chips are sooner. There is really no sense in getting off the KX/KXX architecture if its still good and working for them. If going by what you all say, starting over on something new, they would be dead ducks, so to speak. They are progressing nicely and as Dani31 says, the phenom is maturing and alot of the kinks are being worked out. I dont need them to be better than Intel at anything. I need them to offer good value and performance, and damn it, they have done it! (/end rant)

This is not to say I wouldnt mind seeing them steal the crown...but if they do, you can believe the era of $1000+ chips would be back and probably even higher. The new chipset and the influx of the 750 SB is wonderful news.

you knw i didnt mean to start a rant and i dont think i was naysaying them im absolutely excited for the era of 4ghz cpu's if this s true not only do i think amd has the first but the performance will be amazing. ill probably get one.i mean i wsnt knocking them but in the sense of beating intel (not assuming that is the focus) if this doesnt work i think the easiest way for amd o pull out is to totally change the arch or at the very least find a way to do more cycles per clock

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60

What does this have to do w/ being on a high horse? :confused: All I want is reasonable prices for all. You can say AMD is doing that fine right now, but in my mind they aren't, b/c the performance is far enough behind intel's that their only procs that are worth a purchase are the very low end ones where intel does not occupy the market. Every other chip I can find an intel chip that offers more for the same price. That's why intel is charging ridiculous prices on some of their chips right now, they are essentially competing w/ themselves. Sure most everything for everyday users it doesn't make a difference, but I'm not an everyday user, and I want more than everyday performance. If they can evolve the K10 w/ this one denrab chip series to be competitive enough to compete w/ a whole slew of new chips from intel that are more efficient than core 2, then great, that would be nice. I don't see it though, and I think they'll need much more. /rant :D

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

When AMD held the crown, it did sell its best chips for $1000+ :)

Viscarious

Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9700
Case Raidmax Ninja
Yea, I remember those FX chips being stupidly expensive.

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
so, I guess buying a processor right now and buying one next year at the same time will get you the same performance. sigh...gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. unless these new chips are for bargain-basement prices then I dont see a reason to stick with amd (that hurts to say). I guess amd just has a lot of proc stock they need to get rid of.

K10 value ftw. I'm saving for a Deneb CPU right now. A possible 4GHz STOCK clocked Quad Core in my rig? YES PLEASE.

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
Yea, the roadmap is not encouraging to say the least, especially for those of us who are fans of AMD. However, I'm still hopeful that there is more to AMD than this, afterall they did put out roadmaps before and not always stuck to them. A lot can change in a year, or even 6 months. Plus we don't know what else are they working on besides the declared roadmap. If memory serves me correctly intel was working on Core 2 in parallel to their Pentium 4 & D platforms. Who knows, AMD may be doing something similar and just put out this plan to make intel believe that they are not making much progress.

But if they do follow this plan to the letter they will be relagating themselves to the 2nd place for quite some time. The new Deneb will prolly beat Conroe, Wolfdale and Yorkfield but Nehalem is a different story. In this case, they will occupy the niche of value oriented but not very high performance CPUs, just like VIA occupies the niche of low power, low performance CPUs.

I'm also kinda dissapointed that they won't be putting out a new Southbridge for Am3, SB750 is great but in a year it will be considred old tech, hell, Intel spews out a new ICH every time they have a new chipset out, why cant AMD do that?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm also kinda dissapointed that they won't be putting out a new Southbridge for Am3, SB750 is great but in a year it will be considred old tech, hell, Intel spews out a new ICH every time they have a new chipset out, why cant AMD do that?

There's nothing much to advance with the southbridge, except maybe miniaturizing them to a newer fab process to cut power draw. 7-series chips are based on the 65nm fab, run cooler than most chipset designs out now. SB750 is adequately equipped to deal with it. We don't use RAID setups with >6 drives or 12 USB ports, etc.

KBD

Cooling Water
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
There's nothing much to advance with the southbridge, except maybe miniaturizing them to a newer fab process to cut power draw. 7-series chips are based on the 65nm fab, run cooler than most chipset designs out now. SB750 is adequately equipped to deal with it. We don't use RAID setups with >6 drives or 12 USB ports, etc.

So i guess they can do an 8 series southbridge on the 45nm process to further maximize efficiancy. Intel will prolly have that on X58 boards and if not it will be on later chipsets. This will just allow AMD to keep up a bit better.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I am thouroghly dissapointed. I think AMD should just concentrate on the server market and start making money again.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
So i guess they can do an 8 series southbridge on the 45nm process to further maximize efficiancy. Intel will prolly have that on X58 boards and if not it will be on later chipsets. This will just allow AMD to keep up a bit better.

X58 is accompanied by ICH10R (?) Last I heard that was 65nm.

KBD

Cooling Water
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
I am thouroghly dissapointed. I think AMD should just concentrate on the server market and start making money again.

Problem is, with this kind of roadmap they'll get their asses kicked on the server side as well, afterall server CPUs are variants of the desktp CPU architecture. What they need to do is stop beating the dead K10 horse and work on making k11 as powerful and efficent as they can.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Problem is, with this kind of roadmap they'll get their asses kicked on the server side as well, afterall server CPUs are variants of the desktp CPU architecture.

Yep! That's why they should concentrate just on servers.

KBD

Cooling Water
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
X58 is accompanied by ICH10R (?) Last I heard that was 65nm.

yea, i wasnt sure if it was 65nm, but the next one prolly will be and thats what i said. Bottom line is they should do every little thing they can to try to narrow the gap or stay in the lead and that includes a new 45nm southbridge.