• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help shrinking a volume

Marc9118

Hi all. I've finally came to the conclusion that I need help with something as I am getting quite frustrated. I'm trying to dual boot windows xp that has vista already preinstalled on it. The problem that I am having is that by the website that I am using to follow the instructions for the dual boot process, I am running into a problem with shrinking the volume feature on windows vista. I beleive that I am running a raid partition because I have two hard drives that came with the computer and it is only showing as one. I am receiving an error everytime I try to shrink the volume. When I right click on the drive that I would like to shrink to make room for windows xp, i am getting the error Request not supported. I've attatched a picture to this post that shows the error message. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Attachments

• picture002.jpg
    picture002.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

OtopC

System Name PC
Processor E8400
Motherboard Intel dp35dp
Cooling Gigabyte Galaxy
Memory 4GB DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) Asus 4870 512
Storage 2 x 150gb Western Digital Raptor
Display(s) Samsung 2232GW
Case Flea market - Alienware rip off
Audio Device(s) audigy 2 zs
Power Supply 550 Watt
Software Vista Ultimate SP1
i assume you are trying to create a new partition to install xp on it? have you tried to add a third hard disk and installing xp on it? Just check your pc manufacturers website if xp drivers is available cause some OEM PC's don't have xp drivers when preinstalled with vista. i had a similar error on one off my previous PC's and had to disable the raid permanently in the end.

D

Deleted member 38767

It's not because of the RAID. You are trying to shrink the system partition. Get yourself Acronis Disk Manager (or any other disk management software) and try with it. Windows (XP or Vista) won't allow you to change the volume of the system partition with it's inbuilt tools.

OtopC

System Name PC
Processor E8400
Motherboard Intel dp35dp
Cooling Gigabyte Galaxy
Memory 4GB DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) Asus 4870 512
Storage 2 x 150gb Western Digital Raptor
Display(s) Samsung 2232GW
Case Flea market - Alienware rip off
Audio Device(s) audigy 2 zs
Power Supply 550 Watt
Software Vista Ultimate SP1
Yes windows does not allow you to resize partitions but in my case i tried various 3rd party partition resizing tools, which resized the partitions but when i restarted, the PC partitions went back to their original sizes until i disabled the raid.