woot so i fixed the memory issue on my client finally. i know there is a lot of info on the net but most of it is garbage poop. here is what i did.
#1 start button -> right click 'my computer' -> properties -> advanced system settings -> advanced tab -> environmental variables
#2 under system variables click 'new'
#3 variable name: PATH
variable value: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
NOTE: check that dir first to make sure it contains all your java, javaw and javaws
#4 click OK, then click OK again to get out of the environmental variables window. then click
OK again to get out of the system properties menu.
#5 go to the directory your minecraft.exe is located in and create a new text file.
#6 add this line:
java -Xmn1024M -Xms2048M -Xmx2048M -jar "Minecraft.exe"
NOTE: Xmx : max heap size (ex: -Xmx1024)
-Xms : min heap size.
-Xmn : the size of the heap for short lived objects (needs less memory allocation)
#7 save that as a .bat file. make sure you don't save it as a .txt file or .txt.bat cause those
#8 double click the .bat and it will open up the cmd line and then launch the program.
NOTE: the cmd line is nice for debugging and seeing what is happening behind the scenes.
do not close the cmd line as it will close minecraft on you.
#9 if this works properly when you are in minecraft hit F3 and you will see the amount of memory you allocated in the top right corner.