I got the wood cut this weekend, and have started some preliminary assembly.
The pile of wood. It was two sheets of 3/4" birch plywood.
Starting the build from the bottom, this is a folding shelf for the legs that's also the structural support.
And here's a couple shots of the legs assembled. The legs fold flat after taking out a couple screws. A useful feature since I have to move in a few months.
I then disassembled the legs for finishing. Here they are after the initial stain. The color is Early American by Minwax
The second coat of varnish is actually drying tonight, so the legs should be finished tomorrow, and I'll have some more pics.
For the top of the desk, I've only worked on the baseplate so far. Here it is with the fan holes routed, and trim attached.
And then I finished the fan holes with a 1/4" rounding bit for smoother airflow.
That's all I have done for now, but I have tomorrow off, and am hoping to get some more done.