greets to everyone, I haven't been on here in forever, but I've still been checking in every now and then. I'm finally taking the drive a building my first pc from the ground up. I tried to get what I wanted as cheaply as I could come across, the end price ended up around $750 I think. Good use for a pell grant imo. anyway, the parts list:
1. 7396AM1 Black Enlight Slim/Low Profile Desktop
2. BOXDG33TLM Intel G33 Micro ATX mobo
3. Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 w/ stock heatsink
4. A-DATA 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
5. Seagate ST3320620SV 320GB 7200 RPM SATA hd
6. Coolmax 400W ATX Power Supply CU-400T w/ 120mm Silent Fan
7. Slim ATAPI to SATA converter
8. Pioneer DVR-K06 Dual Layer Slim DVD Burner Drive
9. XFX GeForce 8400GS PCI-E Video Card
10. AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCI-e HDTV TV Tuner Card
11. Moneual Lab iMON VFD-B IR Receiver VFD Display 5.25" Bay
Okay, so you're thinking "This guy is an idiot, an atx power supply for a micro atx case, and a 5.25 in. vfd, but no 5.25 bay!"
The stock 180 watt generic power supply just wouldn't cut it, in my opinion. And every micro atx power supply I've looked has some bad reviews, besides the original being an odd stretched shape anyway. So I decided I'd go with an external modular power supply, that I could disconnect if I need to move it around.
And for the VFD, what kind of HTPC would be complete without some kind of remote? I'm planning on cutting 5.25" opening in the front and mounting it to the plastic. Also, the case is getting a gloss black paint job.
Will update as soon as I get some pics, let me know what ya think.