Sep 19, 2008, 12:17 PM
Crysis Warhead Copy Protection F.A.Q.
We're aware that many of you have concerns about the DRM protection in Crysis Warhead. There is a lot of misinformation out there and we want to take the time to clarify everything so you have all of the correct information. Due to the importance of this topic, to begin with we’ll open with a message from CEO of Crytek, Cevat Yerli.
“Our passion is making quality games. We put our heart and soul in every game and hope that our fans will enjoy them as well. For years, Crytek fans have been passionately supportive of our efforts and we appreciate all of your dedication.
We realize that copy protection and piracy is a very emotional and hotly debated topic. It is very hard to find a solution that fits both our needs. We need to make an effort to limit piracy but we do not want to limit the experience of our fans.
Warhead uses online authentication and allows up to five activations. This gives you the opportunity to install the game as many times as you want on five different machines.
We also know that multiplayer gamers have different needs, so Crysis Wars does not have an activation limit, but requires the game to be unlocked online once you start the game for the first time. Afterwards it will be possible to play in LAN without any online connection. The CD-key is only required when playing online.
I sincerely hope that you will enjoy playing Warhead as much as we enjoyed making it. We are very proud of it. Our community is the main reason we make games. If there is something you feel we could improve, please tell us what and why and we will do our best to listen to you.
The DRM system implemented for the Crysis Warhead changes copy protection from being key-disc based, which requires authentication every time you play the game by requiring a disc in the drive (this was the system we used in the original Crysis), to a one-time online authentication. This system allows you to play your game without requiring the game disc in the drive on any of five different machines.
Please note: this DRM solution is for the Crysis Warhead disc only. Because of the online nature of Crysis Wars, and because we want to encourage easy-to-start LAN play, you are only required an authentication upon installation. If you want to play online on our servers, you will authenticate via Gamespy as you normally would.
* This system allows you to authenticate your game on five computers with the purchase of one disc – you can install your copy on each machine as many times as you want. If you go over five machines, EA Customer Service is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted.
* This DRM solution is safe. EA and Crytek would never allow anything that included spyware, viruses or malware to be installed on anyone’s computers.
* We know there is concern about what will happen if the authentication servers turn off or questions about what will happen in five years if you want to play the game again (and we hope you do). If that were to ever happen, Crytek and EA would deploy a patch that would remove the authentication requirement completely.
Q: What is the difference between the old PC disc authentication solution and the new online model?
A: Two things have changed:
* First, authentication of your game disc has changed from always needing to have your disc in the drive to an online format, eliminating the need to always have a disc in the drive when playing.
* Second, with online authentication, consumers now connect to the Internet the first time the game is launched and are only required to reconnect if they are downloading new game content.
Q: How will the game authenticate now?
A: We authenticate your game online after installation when you launch it for the first time.
Q: Do I have to re-authenticate after the first time my game is launched?
A: Re-authentication is required only if you make significant changes to your PC's hardware, reformat your hard drive, or in some cases, upgrade your Operating System. Multiple installations of the game on the same computer that has not gone through significant changes will not count against the number of computers the game can be installed on.
Q: What are the benefits of online authentication versus the disc-based model?
A: The new system means you don't need to have the game disc in your computer in order to play. You will no longer have to carry disk to enjoy a game you already have installed.
Q: Am I able to play my game on more than one computer? Do I need the disc for that?
A: You'll be able to install and play the offline features of your game on up to five computers without the need of the game disc. Your computer is authorized after installation and the initial launch of the game.
Q: Will I still be able to play my game offline?
A: Yes, you can play offline.
Q: What happens when I’ve reached the maximum number of computers for my game and I need more? (Due to computer upgrades, theft, crashes, etc.)
A: EA Customer Support is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting Customer Support.
Nice read , would clear up many issues