• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Defective core.(i think)

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
So i ran Prime 95 for a bit and i noticed that one core wasn't at 100% load, it would change to various numbers, sometime it would be 0%, 16%, 86% and then back down to 0%.

Prime 95 said that thread has an error and that it detected a hardware failure on that thread. All other cores were running at 100% without issues.

So what could it be?

2DividedbyZero

its usually a voltage problem, vcore, set system (BIOS) back to defaults and if it does it again, up vcore a tad.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
hardware specs??

Yes user21, you need to go to USER CP in the menu and put your specs in, as for the OP Specs, I would assume they are in the little line under his avatar that says
System Specs

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Back on topic...

Yep, could be the cpu, then again could be other stuff. That helped didn't it.:laugh:
What where the temps on the cpu and threads while you were running prime95?

You might wanna try re-seating the CPU and while you got it out check the pins and stuff for foreign stuff, like, corrosion, tarnish, dis-coloring, burnt pins, caps on the MB, and all the usual could be enemys of conductivity.:)

And, if, all looks kosher, then this:
its usually a voltage problem, vcore, set system (BIOS) back to defaults and if it does it again, up vcore a tad.
:toast:

Last edited: