• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Bulldozer breaks CPU Frequency world record!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Lots of fluff before the performance . Is this all about the speed ? If so looks great ! I want to know how they are going to be priced and how well they will perform . Speed is all fine but if there is no substance with that speed then it is a hollow victory .

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
It (seems) to respond much better to volts and cold compared to PHII as you can see.

Pricing was already leaked on this and many other sites.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
It (seems) to respond much better to volts and cold compared to PHII as you can see.

Not a very " Green " Chip if one has to pump 2.0 Volts to the CPU . JMHO . :eek:

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.

No cold bug and those prices have not been confirmed as being accurate.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
I want to know how they are going to be priced and how well they will perform.

That's the same thing i'm more concerned about, this is great to show voltage and speed tolerance of the chips under extreme conditions, but it still tells us nothing on performance which is what most of us are eager to see.

Though i am glad they achieved this, granted i won't be taking my chip as high so it's sort of a moot point for me.

System Name Bang4Buck
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard MSI PRESTIGE x570 CREATION
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S36
Memory 32Gb 4400Mhz Patriot Viper Steel(Samsung B-die) @ 3800Mhz 16-16-16-32-48-1T @ 1.38v
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X
Storage Adata SX8200Pro 512Gb/2x Crucial P1 1Tb/Samsung 840 EVO/6Tb Raid -HGST Enterprise/2x IronWolf 8Tb/
Display(s) Samsung UE49KS8002 4K HDR TV (US - 9 series)
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black Usb-C
Audio Device(s) HDMI out to Denon X4400H reciever, 2x Dali Zensor 7, Dali Zensor Vokal, 2x Dali Zensor 1, Yamaha Sub
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech K520
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26216445
Meh, 8400mhz with only 2 cores enabled and over 2volts. We will see how they do in real life scenarios.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
That's the same thing i'm more concerned about, this is great to show voltage and speed tolerance of the chips under extreme conditions, but it still tells us nothing on performance which is what most of us are eager to see.

Though i am glad they achieved this, granted i won't be taking my chip as high so it's sort of a moot point for me.

I agree . My next build is about 6 more months away . And for me it is all about substance and price . The fluff is not what I am looking for .

My power requirements are high enough as it is with my currents setup I can not imagine having a CPU at 2.0 Volts on top of the rest ! OMG !

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
OR were boards modded. Coldbug isn't always just the CPU.

Not sure, not my area of expertise. From what they let you see in the video the were using ASUS ROG 990FX boards. The Phase Change setup has an extra layer of protection to protect against conendsation and the Liquid Helium didn't look like modified to me. Just your standard liquid chamber over the CPU and area protection.

I am not sure what to make of this because I still want the chip in my hands and real benchmarks from people I trust like you.

Not a very " Green " Chip if one has to pump 2.0 Volts to the CPU . JMHO . :eek:
I think a bunch of you guys are looking WAY to deep into the 8Ghz+ number and not at the 5Ghz on air number which is more realisitic for a site such as this (meaning not focused on benchmarking, not a dig note :toast:).

The record is nice, but so is the supposed ability to hit 5Ghz on air. That brings AMD up to par with Intel for SB... we just all hope that clock for clock performance they catch up. :rockout:

My power requirements are high enough as it is with my currents setup I can not imagine having a CPU at 2.0 Volts on top of the rest ! OMG !
LOL, your power requirements? Bro, you could easily get away with a 650W PSU for that setup. Even overclocked, you arent pushing 600W. My 55x SB setup and modded 580 pull more than that!!!

And like I mentioned above, those clocks are not realistic for people like you who do not go extreme. ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Not sure, not my area of expertise. From what they let you see in the video the were using ASUS ROG 990FX boards. The Phase Change setup has an extra layer of protection to protect against conendsation and the Liquid Helium didn't look like modified to me. Just your standard liquid chamber over the CPU and area protection.

I am not sure what to make of this because I still want the chip in my hands and real benchmarks from people I trust like you.

The Phenom II X6 chips don't have "coldbugs" either. If anyone encounters one, it's entirely because of something other than the CPU itself.

All info seems to indicate that these were left-over "pre-release" samples(I couldn't believe the number of chips pre-tested for this event), not the same chips we'll see @ retail.

those clocks are not realistic for other than a handful of people GLOBALLY.

CORRECTED!

There's maybe a handful of people that are capable of running LHe. Even the "pros" have had so many issues at these events that I'm glad they editted video. Or did you miss Macci quickly turning his head around to the right behind him? ;)

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech

This is what I am waiting for . Like I said with all the fluff and no substance there is a hollow victory .
What gets me is " They " Have these chips they are over clocking the hell out of them but are not posting any thing other than the OC ? I mean come on test them put out some results of the Benchmarks stop teasing every one with the BS and the fluff ! How stable are the Chips at the 5.0Ghz speed ( If at all ) ? What are the benchmarks and all the other good stuff ? It just makes me angry that they would do this meaningless over clock with out any thing else ! :mad:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Was about to make a post referencing this site:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

so people can compare how little frequency means when it comes to performance.

But i dont know enough about cpu's to make any argument. All I'll say is the overclocking is great compared to another AMD chip. Means little next to Intel without knowing performance - i.e. same old story again.

Also, why allow this to trickle out and not actual performance versus Intel leaks?

I'm bored of non substantive BD info. Just as much as I'm bored of the x79 info released thus far and how it is a bit shit for desktop use in a price/perf ratio against the regular SB.

Meh all round.

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
The Phenom II X6 chips don't have "coldbugs" either. If anyone encounters one, it's entirely because of something other than the CPU itself.

All info seems to indicate that these were left-over "pre-release" samples(I couldn't believe the number of chips pre-tested for this event), not the same chips we'll see @ retail.

I was mainly referring to the Phenom I chip issue. Just trying to get away from that comparison with people. lol

Well according to the AMD rep, the overclockers, and CPU-Z the chip was close to a Retail FX-8150 running 2 cores and 2 threads at 2.016V. Of course it also said the TDP was 56W, so there you go.

TDP isnt dynamic on CPUz I thought? Also, the 2-x-x-xx timings were not correct either. ;)

System Name AMD FX
Processor AMD FX 8350 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB Corsair Vegance 1866
Video Card(s) AMD HD7970 Gigabyte
Storage Sandisk Extreme SSD, 500gb SG Sata
Display(s) Samsung 2333sw
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
if that was a sandy bridge OC @ 8.4ghz the intel guys would be singing a different tune, the overclock itself means nothing in overall performance terms but its a hell of an achevment.
the 5ghz on air thing, we will need to wait and see as the PHII on release were surposed to do 4ghz on air but in the real world probably looking at 3.8 and 3.5>3.6ghz for 24/7 use, but they got alot better as the revisions went on.
hopefully clock for clock BD is at least on par with intel for now.

CORRECTED!

There's maybe a handful of people that are capable of running LHe. Even the "pros" have had so many issues at these events that I'm glad they editted video. Or did you miss Macci quickly turning his head around to the right behind him? ;)
:D

Almost 8Ghz on a MUCH more realistic cooling medium, LN2 (for extreme overclockers), is still solid to me!

if that was a sandy bridge OC @ 8.4ghz the intel guys would be singing a different tune,
In the words of Lil Wayne? Lil John, I dunno - "Dont start no shit, there wont be no shit!"

Dont go there. ;)

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
TDP isnt dynamic on CPUz I thought? Also, the 2-x-x-xx timings were not correct either. ;)

Thats my point. Not all of the information on CPU-Z is real world. Some of it is just decoded information it uses to fill in boxes. When that is read wrong because AMD changed something and CPU-Z has not been updated to reflect that, you get incorrect information.

You really can only truly trust the what is reading for CPU speed, multi, and bus since those are read in real time. Beyond that you would need to ask someone else as this is all I know and I am not sure if that is right.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

cadaveca

My name is Dave
:D

Almost 8Ghz on a MUCH more realistic cooling medium, LN2 (for extreme overclockers), is still solid to me!

I dunno. We've seen like ZERO users here on TPU running LN2 in the last 6 months. pretty sure Slappa was the last guy to post up some screenies.

We've also seen TONNES of people selling off thier sub-zero gear.

I question the validity of even LN2 cooling nowadays, but hey, that's just me, and I have no time for clocking with methods that have no relation to real-world 24/7 numbers.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
if that was a sandy bridge OC @ 8.4ghz the intel guys would be singing a different tune, the overclock itself means nothing in overall performance terms but its a hell of an achevment.

Well the SB is in the hands of people so we all know just what they can do , So what tune would we be singing ? Achievement wise ? I am not so sure , Just because these chips did this doesn't mean every chip AMD puts out will . And time will tell if any of the ones " WE " get will even reach 4.0 Ghz ! All Fluff for now . I hope that they do but for now this is all just pure fluff no substance at all .

System Name AMD FX
Processor AMD FX 8350 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB Corsair Vegance 1866
Video Card(s) AMD HD7970 Gigabyte
Storage Sandisk Extreme SSD, 500gb SG Sata
Display(s) Samsung 2333sw
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
i agree , it would have been better to see and good water cooling setup with all 8 cores enabled, just to see what real people could possibly get out of them.

I dunno. We've seen like ZERO users here on TPU running LN2 in the last 6 months. pretty sure Slappa was the last guy to post up some screenies.

We've laso seen TONNES of people selling off thier sub-zero gear.

I question the validity of even LN2 cooling nowadays, but hey, that's just me.
Since I have been here this site was never a source of anything extreme (again, not a bad thing, just not what it does).

My homes are XS, Kingpin, and of course OCF. We are geared a bit differently... :pimp:

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
Well the SB is in the hands of people so we all know just what they can do , So what tune would we be singing ? Achievement wise ? I am not so sure , Just because these chips did this doesn't mean every chip AMD puts out will . And time will tell if any of the one " WE " get will even reach 4.0 Ghz ! All Fluff for now . I hope that they do but for now this is all just pure fluff no substance at all .

While this is fluff, hitting 4.0 GHz should be real easy for BD if those turbo figures are even remotely accurate. Now reaching 4.8 GHz or 5.0 GHz using air or $100 liquid cooling is going to be iffy.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
While this is fluff, hitting 4.0 GHz should be real easy for BD if those turbo figures are even remotely accurate. Now reaching 4.8 GHz or 5.0 GHz using air or $100 liquid cooling is going to be iffy.

Agreed . Time will tell . I do hope they perform on par or even better than SB . I so want a new build .

Status
Not open for further replies.