• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recover a bad flashed ATI HD4870X2

stucki

Hey guys,

thanks for this thread. Excuse me for my bad english:)

I have bougt a ATI X4870X2 from ebay, it works fin at my pc but the fan was to loud. So i flashed the bios after i costomized with RBE.

I flashed the card 3 times after adjust se setting with RBE. Slave Bios device 0 and Master Bios on device 1. Works fine.

But on the last flash process id do a failure, i flashed slave bios on device 1 and Master Bios on device 0. After that i get none signal on screen:banghead:

But luckily I have a second PC is SLI capable. So I could start with two graphics cards and got a picture of the card in the PCIE slot0.

Great! Then I wanted to restore the BIOS from the 4870x2 I use a USB stick with atiflash and the original BIOS.

But the problem is, that only atiflash find a card on device 0th Not my 4870X2:mad::mad:

My question is now, can i recover my 4870X2 by using the 1-8 Pin method as described in the PDF document?

I make a picture of the backside from my card. Wich chip are the bios chip? I will also make a picture from front:)

Please, can any one help me with a step by step guid how i can recover my card?

Many thanks in advance:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Backside.jpg
    Backside.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 790
  • Fixing a completely gone wrong ATI BIOS flash - TPU Reference.pdf
    173.2 KB · Views: 591

stucki

I think the Bios Chip is the pm25lv010 chip. But wich Pin i have to connect, so that i can flash the card?

Attachments

• Pm25LV010.pdf
    90.7 KB · Views: 553

Zigu

Hi, yes i can solve your problem.

pm25lv010, is Bios Chip on your card. Second pm...... is other side of card. From fan-side.

First you must solder pins 1 & 8 together from both bios chips. Be careful! (you must have very small solderer and small wire witch you use bridging 1 & 8 pins together)

In chip top side should be small dot or something like that. Pin 1 is left side of the top and pin 8 is opposite on that.

Second you must but card with bad flash to (0) adapter with those previous bridgings. That (0) adapter is first adapter in your motherboard. You can check it from atiflash by command: atiflah -i, that shows you witch adapter your card is. (You must have working (ATI)card so you can do this)

Next but working card to second slot (1).

Then do exactly next commands in atiflash:

!!! bad flash card to adapter (0) and working card to (1) !!!

1. atiflash -i
2. atiflash should now found card in adapter (0)
3. cut bridgewire off from pins 1 & 8
4. write command, atiflash -f -newbios -p 0 xxxM.bin (xxx, is your correct bios in your usb-stick), (M, means master bios)
5. write command, atiflash -f -newbios -p 0 xxxS.bin (S, means slave bios)
6. restart

Now your card should work again. You can now solder wire pieces off from pins 1 & 8. then you can but your card back to primary slot (0)

GOOD LUCK, ask if something wondering :)

Last edited:

stucki

Hi Zigu,

thanks for help i have now tow problems.

1. I cant put the 4870x2 on PCIE0 (it is toooooooo long)

2. The 4870x2 has tow Bios chips, i cant found the secnond. Also not on the front side.

Has anyone a Picture of 4870x2 from the bios chip at the frontside?

Zigu

1. I cant put the 4870x2 on PCIE0 (it is toooooooo long)

2. The 4870x2 has tow Bios chips, i cant found the secnond. Also not on the front side.

1. Use slot (1) instead (0),
if you use slot (1) change command to atiflash to next one: (atiflash -f -newbios -p 1 xxx.bin

2. second bios must be other side. You must search it carefully.

Last edited:

stucki

Proberly it work not. I done all steps as in your description. Atiflash dont my 4870x2

At the brigdet pins are on both 3,2 V.

I think the card is death and i need to bye a new one:(

Many thanks for yor fast and good help!

stucki

the last try:) I build it back at my first PC with only one PCIE slot.

Both bridges are connectet. After start i can hear short beep beep and then beep beep beep. After that the pc start from USB Stick with a starting beep. On the led at the stick i can see the pc is working on it. Now anyone this beep code?

This beep are more than before:)

If i start the card without close bridges there is nothing to hear and it seams so that the pc dont start.

on my stick i use a bat file to flash. I hope it will work...

stucki

Thank you so mutch it works it works

works

works

works

:rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout: :rockout: :rockout:

THANK YOU:clap::clap::clap:

Zigu

Good to hear that. So you get bad flash card working again with another motherboard? Did you do those commands which i told you before or did you do something else?

One paperweight card restored again to working one! :toast:

Last edited:

stucki

yes i put it in to my gaming pc with only one pcie slot. I closed the connection between bridges and make a "blind" flash with your commands. After i hear that the PC hast startet, i disconnected the connection between bridges... That was all