• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible solution for grey screens of death on HD6000 series

What are the odds that this feature fixes grey screens of death (GSOD's) or stripes of death on Radeon graphic cards?

This is how GSOD looks like:

Possible solution:

You can download Sapphire TriXX here:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/ssc/TriXX/

After reading that with this feature enabled there were a lot of problems with CrossfireX setups i tried it on my single card HD6870 setup. And where i'd usually get 3 GSOD's in few hours, not a single one through almost entire day and i was encoding videos using graphic card, playing loads of games, browsing in Firefox with HW enabled which should otherwise already get me a GSOD. But so far so good.

It's really hard to find what ULPS really does and how it works in specific situations (single or crossfire) it seems to be working to fix the dreaded GSOD's. Nothing 100% proven yet but its a start.

What we need now is:
- more users to try this out and report back the findings
- to write down a way to turn off ULPS without using Trixx so non-Sapphire users can try this

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Old trick. You can edit registry by searching for "EnableULPS" and changing the values there.

ULPS is Ultra-Low Power Savings, and is responsible for GPU and memory "PowerPlay" clock adjustments. It's typically never an issue for single card users, but for multi-card users, it's sometimes nessecary to disable this "option" in order to be able to successflly use 3rd-party clocking tools.

Yeah, well i apparently have to use it on factory (over)clocked graphic card. But it still downclocks it to 2D clocks when not playing games. As i said, in the given time i'd get hit by several GSOD's but after disabling ULPS, no GSOD's so far. And i only have 1x 6870! So it's apparently doing something even for me despite not having a Crossfire setup.

BlackZero

System Name Dark Armour
Processor i7 2600K H2O
Motherboard Asus P67 Pro
Cooling RX360 + SR1-240
Memory 8GB G.Skill
Video Card(s) MSI 7970 OC
Storage Crucial M4 SSD + 2TB HDD
Display(s) P243w 24" + 42lh5000 42"
Case TT Armor+
Audio Device(s) X-Fi + 2400ES
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/blackzero/
Just wanted to confirm, disabling ULPS is still helping with the grey/stripes crashes for single cards. I was having constant Grey screen issues for a couple of days, normally within a short period of time after starting 3d applications. Disabled ULPS and then went hours without a single crash. Not sure what to make of this as ULPS should only effect crossfire.

Last edited: