• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Answering the question of aging

T

twilyth

This is actually pretty old news since we've known about telomerase for quite a while - 2 decades at least.

On the end of each chromosome there are long repeating sequences of DNA. This section is called the telomere. When a cell divides, the mechanism that copies the DNA doesn't copy the entire telomere. So with each division, the telomere gets progressively shorter.

At a certain point, the telomere is so short that it reaches what is called the Hayflick limit. At that point, the cell becomes senescent or it's internal self destruct mechanism (apoptosis) is initiated.

The idea is that if you could induce cells to make telomerase, the enzyme that rebuilds telomeres, you could prolong life and possibly prevent aging.

Scientists discover the secret to a long life... but it's only your dog that will benefit
A team of scientists claims that it may have the secret to a longer life - but so far the treatment is only suitable for pets.

The potential cure for age is a drug which protects telomeres, sections of DNA long thought to be the key to the ageing process.

However, the treatment is not yet considered safe for humans, and may first be tested on dogs and cats by being added to pet food.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
If they can make it work in pets, it's only a matter of time before they make it work in humans.

You know whats neat.. I read this and thought of Stargate SG-01.. Especially the Apophis part :)

I am a simple man

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
dont feed these to teh mice.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Of course if they ever completely crack the secret of eternal life, you can be sure of one thing: every politician and tinpot dictator will get it and stay in power forever. The little people will of course, not be allowed to have it. Jeez, what a thought. :shadedshu

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
They can test it on my old Rottie! :(

T

twilyth

Here's another short article. I'm not sure if Bill Andrews, head of Sierra Sciences is talking about the same chemical or not. He says that a drug that induces production of telomerase should actually make people look and feel younger. He plans to present his findings at Cambridge later in the year.

http://www.mynews4.com/story.php?id=46640&n=122
Andrews said current anti-aging drugs in the market like TA-65 and Isagenix's Product B only slows down aging, but his drug will take it a few steps further.

"Everything is pointing in the direction where we will actually get younger and healthier," said Andrews.

Sierra Sciences has yet to find the home-run telomerase-activating chemical. Andrews said with adequate funding, that ideal drug can be developed in the next three years.

Dr. Andrews is scheduled to attend a conference in Cambridge, United Kingdom later this year to present his findings.

Oxford

There are multiple factors in aging, though. DNA damage from free radicals is one problem. The buildup of toxins like heavy metals is another.

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
System Name el'lappy|Cruncher | Cruncher 2
Processor intel C2D T6400 | i7 3770k @4.2ghz | AII X2 220 @3.4ghz
Motherboard some Acer | Asus P8Z77-V Pro |Gigabyter GA-M61p-S3
Cooling dual 80mm cooling fan | WC'ing ) |cheapo
Memory 2x2gb ddr3 | 2x2gb Ripjaws 1600 |4x512mb D9s
Video Card(s) onboard | 60 1GB(hd7770 ) |8800GTS
Storage Momuntus xt 320gb |Kingston Hyper X 120gb SATA III|500gb WD
Display(s) 17in | 42" 1080P HD 3D TV
Case lappy case | CM HAF XB |none yet
Audio Device(s) onboard | onboard | onboard
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Software Windows 7 Ult. 64bit---->------->
In AP Bio last year me and the teacher got into a nice convo of why clones don't live long and have genetic problems. What it boils down to is when the DNA is taken from the subject to make the clone it isn't the full DNA sequence.
The clone problem can be "solved" by taking DNA very early in life(read before birth)
How it relates to this thread is clones fail because of the same factors that cause aging.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Here's another short article. I'm not sure if Bill Andrews, head of Sierra Sciences is talking about the same chemical or not. He says that a drug that induces production of telomerase should actually make people look and feel younger. He plans to present his findings at Cambridge later in the year.

http://www.mynews4.com/story.php?id=46640&n=122

Watching people grow younger would be creepy!

T

twilyth

In AP Bio last year me and the teacher got into a nice convo of why clones don't live long and have genetic problems. What it boils down to is when the DNA is taken from the subject to make the clone it isn't the full DNA sequence.
The clone problem can be "solved" by taking DNA very early in life(read before birth)
How it relates to this thread is clones fail because of the same factors that cause aging.

Excellent point. I just want to clarify. When you take cells from an adult organism and use those to create embryos for a clone, the embryonic cells will have the shorter telomeres characteristic of mature cells.

While gestating, the embryo produces telomerase which will replace the pieces of the telomere lost during fetal development. But I don't think it will add to the length of the telomeres. So when the clone baby is born, it's telomeres are about as long as those in an adult. That means it's cells will hit the Hayflick limit much earlier in life than if it had started with cells that had full-length telomeres. Therefore its cells will become senescent and die much earlier in its life than what you would expect from a non-cloned animal of the same species.

What's interesting to note is that telomere length varies from one person to another. So my cells might be able to withstand 50k divisions and your's might be able to go 60k. I think this is part of what accounts for the range of normal life spans in humans and other organisms.

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
System Name el'lappy|Cruncher | Cruncher 2
Processor intel C2D T6400 | i7 3770k @4.2ghz | AII X2 220 @3.4ghz
Motherboard some Acer | Asus P8Z77-V Pro |Gigabyter GA-M61p-S3
Cooling dual 80mm cooling fan | WC'ing ) |cheapo
Memory 2x2gb ddr3 | 2x2gb Ripjaws 1600 |4x512mb D9s
Video Card(s) onboard | 60 1GB(hd7770 ) |8800GTS
Storage Momuntus xt 320gb |Kingston Hyper X 120gb SATA III|500gb WD
Display(s) 17in | 42" 1080P HD 3D TV
Case lappy case | CM HAF XB |none yet
Audio Device(s) onboard | onboard | onboard
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Software Windows 7 Ult. 64bit---->------->
@Twilyth thanks for clarifying and going into more detail then i did. :toast:
My mind wasn't very clear lastnight when posting, So thank you :)