• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HIS IceQ X HD6950 bios flash problem

ExodusMaximus

System Name Self made
Processor i7 2600K 3.4Ghz(TurboV LU 4.4Ghz)
Motherboard Asus P8P67 rev.3
Cooling XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ X Turbo 2GB 6950 (unlocked) OC 960Mhz/1440Mhz
Storage Seagate SV35 1TB
Display(s) 2X Samsung SMBX 2335
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
Ok, so here is the problem.
I got HIS IceQ X HD6950 2GB and decided (even though it does not have a bios switch) to flash it to 6970. I did use the reference HIS 6970 bios from this forum. Backed up my bios, run the -unlockrom command and flashed with the –f -p flags. It all went well – verification showed the same size rom where ssid changed from 6100 to E400.
Tried to re-boot and card went dead. Ok, I know I should not “cross my fingers and hope for the best” and flash non-reference card with a reference bios (I get to it below but I think my memory access got hosed).

Oh, well – I did put different card in other PCIe slot, used that to boot (my 6950 is now id 1 not 0), went to GPU-Z and it confirms: I can’t see the memory on the card (it shows 0 for the ram amount) shaders are also low 770 and clock is low, but this can be because I may be running in the different clock mode, right? All monitors are working fine (all temps are reported ok) – so in reality bios is NOT corrupted and I have an access to the card – good news, right? I also did compare the bios I used to flash with the rom extracted from the card – perfect match – so bios is NOT corrupted.

So as the next step I did run the -unlockrom and the attempted to re-flash to my original bios and that’s when the funny thing happens – no matter what I do, the bios remains unflashed.

I did try if I’m communicating with the bios during the flash by just trying to flash with –p and I get “SSID missmatch” error (as expected) I did try to change the SSID in the cards bios via using –mi flag and I get “Rom could not be erased”, but when I use the same bin as I have on the card I get a correct message of “Bios already flashed” – so comm. Between the writer and the card’s bios is good, it just looks like bios is in the permanent “read only” state (bear in mind – this is not dual bios – switch is not there). I figured since the bios was not physically locked (made read only in the hardware) I should be able to re-flash it to the original bios, right? Is there any chance that the unlock bit on the bios I used to flash is in the different address than usual and and that’s why I can’t override it with the –unlockrom command?

So to sum up:

1. Bios is not corrupted
2. Write communication is good
3. Bios is not read only in the hardware (since I did flash it)
4. New (flashed) bios will not unlock so I can’t restore it from my back up

Any help is greatly appreciated – I can always RMA the card, but now I actually got intrigued by this issue..

Thanks

Bean

I have the exact same problem. Both ATIFlash and ATIWinFlash fail to flash the bios, flashrom doesn't even see the card.

ExodusMaximus

System Name Self made
Processor i7 2600K 3.4Ghz(TurboV LU 4.4Ghz)
Motherboard Asus P8P67 rev.3
Cooling XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ X Turbo 2GB 6950 (unlocked) OC 960Mhz/1440Mhz
Storage Seagate SV35 1TB
Display(s) 2X Samsung SMBX 2335
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
flashrom sees the card - if you try to flash with out -f you should get the ssid miss match error. Problem is in the bios unlock. seems like some 6970 bios are soft lock and the unlock bit is in the different memory address than usual - I did some digging with read-write bios writer (you can also compare bios hex) before and after -unlockrom - no difference. I wish I had a source code for the atiwinflash so I could see which memory address -unlockrom tries to write to (tried to figure it out looking at the assembly, but could not) - I was hoping that the "gurus" would know this, but it looks like sometime they are just a script kiddies (not all, please don't flame me - but some) - I will post the resolution to this problem soon (if I get really annoyed I will just make my own package around one of the available bios hack tools, so I will not have this problem again. Anyways - my fault - I should not load 6970 bios just update my 6950 (memory timings or a controller comm were so different that the memory was not accessible on the new card)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Once I unlocked my Bios with the unlock command line I never had to unlock it again to do further flashes, once it's unlocked..... it is unlocked, I have flashed my card 4 times now and never needed to unlock again.

I did have a similar problem to this on my 3rd flash (I started with shader only unlock and then went on to full 6970 flashes, hence the multiple flashes), what worked for me was to force the flash in Dos at statup with a non 6970 bios, so what I managed to do was to flash the shader unlock only 6950 flash Over the 6970 bios, now matter how many 6970 Bioses I tried to flash I couldn't, after the 6950 shader unlock flash i was then able to force the 6970 flash that I actually wanted, hope that all makes sense.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I was hoping that the "gurus" would know this, but it looks like sometime they are just a script kiddies (not all, please don't flame me - but some) - I will post the resolution to this problem soon (if I get really annoyed I will just make my own package around one of the available bios hack tools, so I will not have this problem again. Anyways - my fault - I should not load 6970 bios just update my 6950 (memory timings or a controller comm were so different that the memory was not accessible on the new card)

I suggest you go to the RBE thread, pick up BagZZlash and drop him a PM, he may be able to help you there.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57157

banik

Any update on this? I'm in the same predicament.....

Puddlebiker

Attempt failed, recovery succeeded. HIS ICEQ 2GB

I decided to try too. My HIS IceQ was unable to unlock the shaders. I too had bios issues.

I used the bubble gum mod (google it)
After my flash, it kept crashing at the video driver load. To undo this crashing I entered in safe mode and uninstalls the driver from device manager.
Once I got in, my card was running at 250MHz and 704 shaders. I tried a 6970 bios thinking I messed up the bios from using RBE incorrectly. That sent my video card to run at 0MHz.

To recover my bios I booted to another video card (onboard) and used atiwinflash from cmd (as admin) with the following commands:
atiwinflash -unlockrom 0
atiwinflash -f -p 0 backup.bin
This got me back to the 704 shaders and 250MHz
Reinstalling the ati driver again restored it to almost normal. I think the vendor info of the bios isn't correct, but all is well.

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1621938

Ok i have to say this too you guys out there flashing cards in Windows mode STOP IT USE DOS TO FLASH YOUR DAMN CARDS,ALSO ALL 1gig 6950`s made since JUNE2011 ARE LASER CUTALSO Have to add if the cards pcb does not say AMD in the pcie gold fingers area IT WILL NOT UNLOCK .All the gpus are laser cut now.

Last edited:

Puddlebiker

Rude reply

Don't be so rude. Take your attitude to a psychiatrist.

Dos didn't work. Windows worked.

Also, I never told you that my goal was to increase my over-clocking range and if by chance unlock the shaders.

Also, my card is not the 1GB card, it's the two GB card and there's reports of people having successful unlocks on non-reference cards. How do you know when my card was made?

I was sharing how I fixed my flashing issues, not asking for help.

Hopefully a moderator deletes these last two posts so nobody else needs to read an argument

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
Don't be so rude. Take your attitude to a psychiatrist.

Dos didn't work. Windows worked.

Also, I never told you that my goal was to increase my over-clocking range and if by chance unlock the shaders.

Also, my card is not the 1GB card, it's the two GB card and there's reports of people having successful unlocks on non-reference cards. How do you know when my card was made?

I was sharing how I fixed my flashing issues, not asking for help.

Hopefully a moderator deletes these last two posts so nobody else needs to read an argument

He was helping, unlike you, who is the one being rude. Learn to appreciate when people try to help, otherwise you can figure it out yourself. :shadedshu

Puddlebiker

He wasn't helping. He was posting loud assuming comments. If he was helping why didn't he post to the last person who asked a question. I didn't post anything asking for help, so if he is helping then he needs to learn how to read. You should learn how to read too.

PS I CAN USE CAPS LOCK TOO and I DID FIGURE IT OUT MYSELF!