• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 Unlock

codehavok

I know i know.. Everyone is very tired of reading this all over the net for the past year. I've read a few post confirming and disproving this matter.

I read that this very board IS exactly the same as a 6970.

Was the unlock successful for this very card for anyone?
And if so please specify exact details of the process.

I have read the posts as to connect pins 3-8, and wondering if this is needed.

I understand that unlocking is my own risk. I just want the clarification of the process, and to hear others failure or success before i go ahead and do this.

*Please note we are only talking about the GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 card here!*

Thanks in advance!

Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97i Plus
Cooling Antec Kuhler 620 + Gentle Typhoon 3000RPM
Memory A-DATA XPG V2 DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Storage Samsung 850 Ev0 500GB
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 @100Hz
Case Silverstone SG13
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone SX-500LG
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Not interested in benchmarks
have the same cards in CF. was in the opinion that these don't unlock. i might be wrong. there is no bios switch either. (if i'm not mistaken). no way to adjust voltages since this is a custom PCB.

probably it will come down to that last thing. "cannot adjust voltages". even if you successfully unlock, you might have to lower the clocks? perhaps not.

one more thing. do you get the power/TDP limiter thingy (dunno what it is called) in overdrive page? i don't. weird. something is missing in those dials. (has nothing to do with the driver version, 11.9, 10, 11 and 12 all were like that, and i have even formatted Windows just to see, with no victory.) maybe it is because this is a custom PCB?

sorry that i didn't add anything useful to the thread.

edit:

one of the comments on newegg said this:

Pros: I have not had a chance to test this card out on games yet because I'm waiting on SWTOR to be released. I had a HD 4870x2 crossfired with a 4870 and it shows a higher Windows Experience Index (7.9) and it increased my 3dmark06 rating from 18000 to 28000. Pretty excited to test out DX11. To flash to a 6970, export your video cards Bios and make a back up, export another copy for editing. (You can export with GPU-z). Use RBE to edit your bios file and only change the shaders (which is on the last tab). Note - RBE will error when you load your bios saying overclock doesn't load. Save your bios file with the new shaders. Use ATI's WinFlash to upload the new BIOS file to your video card. Reboot, use GPU-z to check out your new shaders. Then overclock your card back to 870 and memory to 1250 - 1300. Set your fan speed back to automatic. My card runs great. (Youtube has videos on this, they do work on Gigabytes card.)

another:

Pros: fast, unlocks to 6970 shaders, did a wire trick on the bios chip to make sure it wasnt write protected.. ive heard others had success without doing this mod but others have opposing experiences, i did it just so there wasnt any issues. i got no errors messages at all during my bios save, load, and flash

another:

Don't believe the other reviews on this site you CAN I say again CAN unlock the extra shaders. They are NOT lasered off. You just have to use GPU-Z to extract your firmware and use RBE to modify the database to unlock the shaders. This software can also be used to change the default clocks and allow for more overclocking. Great cooler keeps the card nice and cool with little noise.

kinda too scared to give it a shot. >_>

Last edited:

codehavok

Yes. I had seen the post's on new egg as well. I am very skeptical about doing this. Thats why I just wanted to hear if anyone in the TPU forums has had success or failure. To help me, as well as others, to better determine if this is legit or just some NVIDIA freaks trying to get us to mess are cards up. The insanity is just tick, tick, tick away at my brain to do this. I know how the process is done, i just dont want to through 200usd down the drain without more info from others.

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Return the card and either buy a 6970 or a proper 6950 2GB reference if you want the extra shaders. Otherwise just overclock it and be happy. The shaders make almost 0 difference for gaming performance. Not worth bricking your card if you don't know what you're doing. It sounds like you're scared so you shouldn't be messing with this in the first place IMO.

goldfingerfif

System Name Work PC
Processor AMD 965 BE
Motherboard MSI 765GTM-E45
Cooling Cooler Master 212+ (With Optional 2nd Fan)
Memory Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) MSI 6770 1GB
Storage WD Caviar Blue 320GB
Display(s) Acer x233H
Case ?
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC888S
Power Supply Thermaltake 600w
Software Window 7 Professional 32Bit
Benchmark Scores All @ 4.2 GHz on 32Bit W7 Intel Burn Test: 40.5Gflops WEI: 7.5
I just bought the GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB from Newegg GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit ... on 1/26/12 and received it yesterday 2/1/12. I ran a couple benchmarks to see the way it is stock. I seen using RBE to do the trick but W1zzard's script seemed better http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137136&page=16 see post #381.

I used GPUz to save the bios file then I used W1zzard's script to mod it.
Make sure to download AtiFlash 3.5 too since I hear the windows version has a low success rate.
Save both the modded bios and AtiFlash in the same directory.
I booted into NTFS for DOS with the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows.
Go to the folder with both files and run atifla~1 -f -p 0 modded.bin
Reboot the computer

Stock Benchmark

Extra Shaders Enabled

I only saw a 2-4% increase so far on overall score and as much as 5% increase on framerate but the processor is only a FX-4100