• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Eyefinity w/ HDMI?

Dolph

Hey guys,
Firstly, id like to just say, i apologize greatly for this extremely noobish question. I am very new to techforums, and very new to eyefinity.

I have 2 x DVI and 1 HDMI screens to plug in for the time being, it doesn't recognize that i can active all three. Is it true that you need the mini active displayport adapter to eyefinity 3 screens? Can't you just use 2 dvi and 1 hdmi? If not, then how are you able to use 5 screens with this card? Does the HDMI suddenly work if you just have an active display port adapter in as well?

I am very sorry if this was posted somewhere, or if this is completley obvious, but it isn't to me so any advice or information would be pleasant :)

Unless you have a Sapphire FLEX brand card, you will need an active DisplayPort/Mini-DisplayPort adapter. I'd recommend an active DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter, for the reason that I don't know if you can rely on the adapter passing your HDMI audio. How it works is you plug one of your DVI monitors into the adapter, and then plug the adapter into a DisplayPort/Mini-DisplayPort on your card.

Eyefinity requires a Radeon HD 5000/6000/7000 series GPU, and allows for up to 6 monitors per card. However, note that not all cards provide adequate display outputs for so many monitors. Past the first two monitors, all monitors need be DisplayPort(or converted to it via an active DP adapter). Sapphire's FLEX line of cards are the only exception to this that I know of, and as far as I know they accomplish that with an integrated DisplayPort adapter.

To verify all this and more, here is a link to AMDs Eyefinity FAQs: http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/how-to/Pages/faqs.aspx

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Ahh i see, i have an xfx 6950 2gb, it has 2 x DVI, 2 x Mini DP, 1 x HDMI.

As Suhidu said, you'll need an DP-to-whatever adapter.

The HDMI port shares connection to the GPU itself with one of the DVI ports, so you can do one DVI, one HDMI, but not two DVI, and one HDMI.

kciaccio

Processor QuadCore Intel Core i7-2600K, 4433 MHz (43 x 103)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68 DELUXE GEN 3
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 8 gigs DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video Card(s) POWER COLOR HD6870 EYEFINITY 6 EDITION 2GB
Storage KINGSTON HYPER X 120G SSD
Display(s) Quad set of Acer X193X's AND 2 Dell P2210 - 22"
Case Silverstone Raven 2 WHITE LIMITED EDITION
Power Supply NZXT HALE 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
The video cards can only handle two outputs without and active adapter. The only exception to that rule is if you are using display port monitors.
I have a 6 monitor set up. I already had 4 monitors so when I purchased the last two I purposely looked for ones that had a display port input so I would not have to get more active adapters.

My current set up is two dvi, two display port, 2 dvi with active adapters for a total of 6 monitors driven by one Powercolor eyefinity 6 HD6870 2GB card.

Dolph

That is perfect, the exact information i was looking for. Thank you very much.