• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Theft" of YOUR personal address book by facebook and twitter (and others)

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Just read these articles:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17051910
http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/14/iphone-address-book/

Summary:
iPhone and smartphone apps are copying your personal address book info with all your contacts, names, emails, phone numbers, and sending that data to 3rd party companies... that STORE that data on their servers --- and all this without telling you and asking for your permission.

Corollary:
Careful using facebook and twitter apps (and similar) on your smartphone unless you (and your contacts!) are happy sharing that data with facebook and twitter (and whoever else they share this data with!). Look out for any option called "find friends" which is a euphemism for "give us all your contact data, incl. names, addresses, emails and telephone numbers!"

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems, your personal info is to be the cost of admittance to the "New World Order Social Network" clubs.
Personal info is as good as gold.
It is funny though... people protect their gold better than their personal info.:ohwell:

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, IceMan DD block
Memory G.SKILL F5-7200J3646F24GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
Hilarious!

I recall the wife of a friend gushing about how Facebook was so great, and when I explained to her that every bit of personal information she provided was being sold by Zuckerberg (who flippantly admitted he could care less about his subscribers 'privacy'), she remarked she was not concerned in the least.

Months later, I was helping her resolve some issues with her PC, and when she complained about the literally hundreds of spam emails she received weekly, I had to laugh, but I did not bother to explain why, because I believed she deserves what she gets.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Yes, it is one thing pinching YOUR email address if YOU allowed an app access to "your" data... but it is something completely different if that app is harvesting your whole address book and sends that data the 3rd parties without your knowledge and agreement. (And agreement of the people IN that database).

If I send an email or sms to Y, I don't like the idea that Y might have one of these apps running on their smartphone and consequently MY DETAILS incl. email and mobil number gets given away when I have always denied these companies access to data about me and my contacts.

That MY privacy is compromised by someone else who is less careful is just not acceptable nor ethical. If I have specifically DENIED access to 3rd party companies having access to my data, then I don't like the fact that these companies can back-door to my data through someone elses addressbook.

This is breach of privacy and I think it is only a question of time before this hits a court in the EU.