1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

0FL01 error

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Ketxxx, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I would of put this in the 1950 thread, but it needs a bit of dedicated attention first. Archived I have the data on how to get around this, but I cant find it atm :banghead:

The story so far anyway;

I get the error 0FL01 when I try to re-program the BIOS on my 1950Pro, more specifically, it spits that error at me while cheerfully saying that it couldnt erase the BIOS to re-program, this happens with any windows based flasher, and from ATIflash 3.25 under DOS. Anyone care to help me re-dig up the info on the net to fix this? If anyone knows of a program for ATi cards that specifically has a command to force an erase of the ROM chip that would be useful too :D

2. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Ling-ling

Ling-ling New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Shit.. I really dont feel like having to bust out a soldering iron.. perhaps I can get away with just holding some wire on both pins tho.

5. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    What the hell language is THIS? Can anyone get a good translation on it? Just it showed up in google with the exact same issue I currently have.

6. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could be Polish, from the .pl

7. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's polish. With a problem with the default font they are using... showing all the WRONG characters.

8. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Crap..

After a little digging it looks like the ROM chip on my card doesnt support a normal type or erasing, and specifically needs to be erased before a flash. If anyone can make any sence of THIS let me know :D

9. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
  10. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, but I tried that already. Damn write protection. Im gonna take a hammer to the damn card soon :mad:

11. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you figure out how to erase it? You may have to use the soldering iron and a couple of wires to enable the erasure of the ROM chip.

12. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I wont bother breaking the soldering iron out for that right away, I'll try just holding the wire on the legs to start with. First tho I gotta find the rom chip, nomatter how hard I look I just cant see it :wtf:

13. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why don't you post some digital pics of both sides (with heatsink removed), we may be able to help you look. ;)

14. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Heres an image of the back of the card, resolution is 2656*1318, so you can zoom in all u want on the image :p I've marked the only apparent ICs of any interest, none of them seem to be the ROM chip, front of the PCB has nothing of interest or use.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  15. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    The chip you've marked Amtel 620 is your BIOS ROM, I'm almost certain of it. I've also googled it and i've seem some tech forums about flashing VC (in another language unforunately).

From the markings, to me it reads as a 64KB ROM (ie 512KBit = 64Kbyte)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  16. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is a link to the datasheet that has details on the Amtel 25F512 ROM chip. You should be able to apply the same fix as W1zzard did on his link (see my previous post above) where he unsoldered pin 1 and applied a +5V (you can get this from VCC pin 8).

http://www.atmel.fi/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc1440.pdf

You'll need a steady hand and a fine tipped, variable temp soldering iron. Don't over heat the pins, as you will damage the ROM chip.

17. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so according to that datasheet, simply shorting pin 3 should disable write protection

18. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    The way I read it, is when WP pin is set to "1" (connect to Vcc) will enable Read/Write operations. You may also have to tie CS to "1" also as described by W1zzard.

19. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I always assume others know what I'm talking about.

When you tie the CS and WP to "1", make sure you unsolder those pins and lift them carefully as not to break the pin off.

Make sure the pin does not touch the solder pad that it was soldered to, this is to ensure you don't short any of the components.

I've got an engineering background so I used to do this as a hobby whilst I was studying at Uni many many moons ago. ;)

20. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Oh happy days.. talk about a pain in the arse. I suspect it will be worth the effort tho as IMO, a cards BIOS isnt write protected unless the manufacturer has something to hide, especially on lower highend models like the 1950Pro. Come to think of it, when I had the HSF off the core didnt have RV570XT on it, it didnt have any core name.. hmm..

ed- never actually done it with a rom chip, but from what you are saying, those legs need to be completly disconnected from the solder pads correct? So theoretically just snipping the legs off would work to disable write protection. As I said, never actually had practical experience with having to mess with a rom chip. Just trying to make life as easy as possible for me :p

21. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha... :laugh: Yes, it is a painful process, but getting your VC up and running will be worth it IMO. What brand is your VC again?

22. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Its an Xpertvision. Oddly my first Xpertvision didnt have its BIOS locked, so why this one is I dont know :wtf:

O an see my ed in my other post. Theoretically it could work, but as you have seemingly had to mess with rom chips where I've never needed to up till this point, hopefully you can tell me if the theory will work. Largely cos I'm lazy an want to make life as easy as possible :p

23. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha :laugh: aren't we all!?

I don't see why it can't work. First of all, I would try and desolder pin 1, and lift the pin leg. Solder a piece of wire between pin 8 (Vcc) and the pin 1 which should not be making contact with the solder pad that it was attached to moments earlier.Try to flash it the way that W1zzard did in his instructions.

If that doesn't work, then I'd desolder pin 3, and lift the pin leg. Then also attach another piece of wire from pin 8 (Vcc) to pin 3, then try and flash it.

Oh, I forgot to mention that you need a PCI video card connected to your monitor as this will be your primary screen to do the flashing bit once you've done the abovementioned changes.

24. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Ugh.. the effort lol. Isnt there any shortcut like just cutting a few legs to disable write protection? This process is somewhat longer than I remembered it :p

25. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try what I PM'd you about. It should at least get you started. ;)