1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1,600PPD on one box, 700-800PPD on same exact box..

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by johnnyfiive, Mar 27, 2009.

1. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Yep.. doesn't make sense to me. I have two machines with the same exact processor. Same motherboard, same video card. Only difference is one machine has 4GB of ram, the other has 1GB of ram. The machine with 4GB of ram is averaging 1,600-1,700PPD, the one with 1GB is averaging 700-800PPD. Both are running Ubuntu 64bit, both have the same exact installation of F@H SMP. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You think the 1gb of ram is creating a bottleneck?
  3. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    It's a possbility I guess? Does F@H really need more ram to increase PPD? I could always add some memory and see how it reacts. Maybe I'll try that.
  4. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    !! that avatar is epic lulz!
    I would check all sorts of things: one person had a disabled core before he even started his system up for the first time! He had to re enable it in windows.
  5. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Hah, thanks. Johnny5 is awesome! :D
    As for it possibly being the cores, check out my screenshots. Both rig's have both cores maxed out. Can't be the CPU.
  6. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Put the same amount of RAM in both machines and see what happens. F@H isn't bottlenecked by RAM afaik.
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, looking at the screenshots the rig with 4gb's of RAM is using double the amount of ram as the 1gb system so it looks like folding wants MOAR RAM. Could you just run 2gb on each system?
    johnnyfiive and angelkiller say thanks.
  8. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    :eek: Didn't notice that. Nevermind then. The 2GB on each system would probably be the best compromise, as the 4GB system doesn't appear to be using it all, and the 1GB system looks like it could use a bit more. (68% in use)
  9. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    I put 2GB's total in the other system. I have plenty of ram lying around. I didn't really notice that either erocker, good eye sir, good eye. :)
  10. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you are folding two different projects... anyone know if that matters?
  11. kyle2020 Guest

"credit" means different projects - on the 1680 pointers my 260 achieves around 7.5K ppd, however on smaller ones I can average as low as 3K.

Its totally normal, dont worry :)

Now you need to send me the raw image of that golf in your first picture before I hurt you. :D
  12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The SMP units shouldn't vary the drastically in PPD.

There a couple possible explanations for this.

1.) From the screen shots, it looks like the rig with the lower PPD just started folding, but it is in the middle of a WU, which means there was downtime during the current WU. There are several different options that determine how FAHmon figures PPD. One of these options takes downtime into account when calculating PPD. This could be the cause of FAHmon showing a lower PPD for the machine that has had downtime.

2.) When configure setup F@H, in the Advanced Options, there is a place to set the amount of RAM to report. AFAIK, this affects how much RAM F@H uses, and will affect performance. Also, if you have changed how much RAM you have in the system, you need to re-configure the client before it will use it.
    johnnyfiive says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU