1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1 wired + 1 wireless connection issues

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Gobbas, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I have been trying to get my computer working in a home network through a router with a wireless connection, while at the same time having internet provided through a wire.

The reason this is an issue is because the wired does not go through the router while the wireless of course does.

The issue I am having is that when both are connected my internet connection comes through the wireless and not the wired.

What I want is for the wireless to connect to the network while the wired connects to the internet.

I am using windows 8.1

Thank you,
  2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    what make and model router are you using?
  3. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    i THINK i might understand what you're trying to do

generally, a LAN that goes into a router that is connected to the internet will provide internet to all wired+wireless clients that connect to it (most people do it like this)

you want to have it so that if you're wireless, you cant access the internet? kind of like dd-wrt's option to block router admin logins over wireless? this would require such a feature on the router, or possibly windows to create a different network with different security settings on each wired & wireless network adapter
    Gobbas says thanks.
  4. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    use VLANs
  5. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    What I want is for the wired to provide the internet connection (because it is faster at 1gbit/s) while the wireless gives me access to the home network. So far I have to disable the wireless to use the internet at the full speed and re-enable it when i want access to the network.

VLAN, how? what?
  6. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Well how fast is your internet? and why would you use wireless just for the home network? I doubt that you have 1Gbps INTERNET speeds. That is the LAN speed and NOT the WAN speed. is there a reason you HAVE to keep them seperate? if it's a particular application that leads to complications.

Are you using this for something like kali/backtrack or something like that? If so it's best to actually use a VM for that and have it ONLY use the WLAN or whatever.

And VLANs are virtual LANs....networks within your network. They are used to seperate groups of computers in your network from eachother...

like if you want the guests to have thier own network so they cant get into your network. Or in the business sense where they don't want the sales to access the R&D's systems.
    Gobbas says thanks.
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i think he wants wifi for internet, wired for file transfer.

this seems weird to me, as i see no reason to do this.
    remixedcat says thanks.
  8. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    My internet is 1 gbit/s.

And it is with my wired i want to access the internet and wireless for network.

Wired connection does not go in to the router, it uses a seperate plug in the wall and as such can not get to my network through it. That is why I want my wireless to access the network. But when I have both conections on at once, my computer wants to use the wifi and as such my speed drops by a lot.
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    basically, windows isnt designed for this. you can choose which network is to be used first, but traffic meant for the other network just wont work unless you can specify the IP address you need in the programs you're using.
    remixedcat and Gobbas say thanks.
  10. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    I see, that is annoying, but I guess I just got to keep on switching between them then.

Thanks for your help.
  11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    intranet- crossover cable and switch/hub
  12. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    The easiest way for the OP to do this is for them to use VMs. I recommend VMWare Workstation or Player for windows 7 and/or Client Hyper-V for Windows 8.
    Gobbas says thanks.
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    didnt think of that. this could be done, and one 'system' can be locked to each network. same as doing this with two physical machines.
    remixedcat says thanks.
  14. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Here's a link that will help the OP if they cant get VMWare configured right:
    https://communities.vmware.com/thread/414125

Here's how to do it in Client Hyper-V and this is what I use with my Server 2012 (built into Windows 8)
    hyper-v.PNG

You would uncheck the "let the management operating system use this adapter"
    Gobbas says thanks.
  15. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    is there a way to do this with different subnet masks or something ghetto like that?

also if you're wired... & it's the same network... dont you have access to the rest of the LAN? i'm not sure i understand why wireless even exists on this particular computer
  16. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    So I still don.t understand. You must have TWO different accounts from the Internet provider? Is one yours (wireless) and maybe one is the apartments (wired)? Or is the wired yours and maybe the wireless is public or some one else's? This sounds like there are two internet provider accounts.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  17. jcgeny

jcgeny

Thanks Received:
    never use wireless : its cracked in few seconds , AND IT DAMAGES BAWLS and brains
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    FYI, i've done plenty of penetration testing and wifi network cracking in order to secure my own stuff. only WEP can be cracked fast. WPA/WPA2 can take weeks or months, and only on vulnerable routers a limited distance from them.

what you're saying is not factually correct, or even relevant to the topic.
  19. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Manually set the IP for the wireless card and don't enter any DNS Server addresses. Since that connection won't respond to DNS requests, Windows won't use it for internet traffic.
    Gobbas and brandonwh64 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Just leave out the default gateway when you set the static IP. Even if DNS can't resolve an address, you're still technically on the internet if a gateway is configured.
  21. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The problem with leaving off the default gateway is then the connection won't work some LAN traffic as well. Yes, he will technically still be on the internet with the wireless connection, but without DNS servers, Windows won't use the connection for internet traffic.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  22. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    No it is one account, but we have 3 different wall sockets that use it. The router is in a location were wired to it is a no go, and if I make wired possible, the walls interfere with the wifi.

Thanks for all the help, I will try the VMware thing, sounds like that will be a decent solution for plex use.
  23. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    what am i missing? if you want it to use wired for internet, set it to use wired first as mussels said. this means any time you open any program it will try to use the wired connection first. if it can't find what you are looking for there, it goes to the wireless. that's how i have managed multiple connections before. you do all this by changing the metric settings in the network configuration for each adapter. set wired to 1 and wireless to 99.
  24. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    How do I set this? I tried some setting in adaptes & bindings under network connections but that did not help
  25. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    Is this what you edited? (right click adapter, go to ip v4 properties, click advanced button, uncheck automatic metric. change it on both, 1 on wired (internet) 999 on wireless (network). restart the computer? no difference?[​IMG]
    Gobbas says thanks.