1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

100 or 1000 mbps network for "online" gaming?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by niko084, Sep 9, 2007.

1. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Well obviously my network can do 1000mbps..

Now I have read in a few places that because of the overhead and packet sizes for 1000mbps it actually hurts you in online gaming performance... Especially being I only have like 18mb down and 2mb up its far from required for my internet connection.

Anyone tell me which is better and why or if there is not really a difference.

Seriously this is a bit more technical than 1000mbps because its faster.....

2. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    100mbps as you said. The overheads increase packet size, which decreases latency, which is a major problem for gaming. Personally I'd use 10mbps but my router forces it and my broadband is 20Mb down and 1mb up :p

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    100/1000 is really irrelevant, gigabit is still <1ms over ethernet to the router, and it wont affect WAN Traffic (your router to your ISP) as that would be DSL or cable.

so no, there wont really be a difference. The only change is that on gigabit, your local transfers (to other gigabit machines on your network) will be faster.

Basically - no difference.

If you really really want to be sure, you can just lower the network cards speed in its driver settings and do a before and after test.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  4. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    i prefer gigabit speeds on a network tho i dont think it would make much difference on the web. i use "total copy" to copy files and it has a speedometer which shows approx 5x speed increase with gigabit

5. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Well yes I know that it would be faster for straight network usage, I was more concerned with overhead and packet sizes. Which I think was about summed up above here that yes it will be a tid bit slower, but its so little that it in all reality doesn't matter.

6. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Mussels, less than 1ms is a HUGE range....I get latencies of 15ns to European servers, 60ns is a BIG difference when it comes to gaming.

For straight browsing or transfering of files, then yes, Gigabit is better, but the overheads increase packet size and increase latency, and an increase of 20ns is a big difference.