1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

100 Year Starship Initiative, Website Up

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Inceptor, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you win a cookie.
    Lionheart says thanks.
  2. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it's time for us to send real space crafts into space, not just jet engines and tiny bit of crew and cargo. Space Shuttles were really closest to that at the moment. At least until they scraped them...
  3. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    No I won't. And it's not Star Trek 2. That was The Wrath of Khan thirty years ago.
  4. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    RIP Space Shuttles......In Our minds and hearts forever ,now for an ode to them..........(I remember this is my first time watching RUSH.....)

Countdown Lyrics
    Performed by Rush
    Review The Song (7)

Lit up with anticipation
    We arrive at the launching site
    The sky is still dark, nearing dawn
    On the Florida coastline

Circling choppers slash the night
    With roving searchlight beams
    This magic day when super-science
    Mingles with the bright stuff of dreams

Floodlit in the hazy distance
    The star of this unearthly show
    Venting vapours, like the breath
    Of a sleeping white dragon

Crackling speakers, voices tense
    Resume the final count
    All systems check, T minus nine
    As the sun and the drama start to mount

The air is charged
    A humid, motionless mass
    The crowds and the cameras,
    The cars full of spectators pass
    Excitement so thick you could cut it with a knife
    Technology...high, on the leading edge of life

The earth beneath us starts to tremble
    With the spreading of a low black cloud
    A thunderous roar shakes the air
    Like the whole world exploding

Scorching blast of golden fire
    As it slowly leaves the ground
    Tears away with a mighty force
    The air is shattered by the awesome sound

Like a pillar of cloud
    The smoke lingers high in the air
    In fascination
    With the eyes of the world
    We stare...

Chocolate chip cookie :)

Uhm NOPE The reboot ST2 .........whistles.......http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/ Also dubbed ST2 from Chris Pine himself......
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  5. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Chris Pine is a moron. I don't even consider them Trek films because of how WRONG they got everything. Spock had been in Starfleet for at least 20 years before Kirk joined, first contact with the Cardassians wasn't until the 2330s and the journey from Earth to Vulcan at warp 4 would take a hell of a lot longer than four minutes. Not to mention the top speed of the COnstitution class was warp 7.

That film was riddled with so many errors it made my flesh crawl.
  6. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    Fact: Earth will eventually run out of resources to exploit, especially metals and food.
    Fact: The asteroid belt is full of resources, from rare metals, to water and carbon.
    Fact: It takes less energy to mine asteroids than it would to colonize the moon.
    Conclusion: We really should look at doing some mining...
  7. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Events? Nothing to get wrong when you place it in an alternate timeline :D

It could go faster, but IIRC the ship was damaged and limited to warp 4. Correct though, is that the time to travel from Earth to Vulcan is much greater than 4 minutes, regardless if TOS or TNG+ warp math is used.
  8. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    In the same vein:

Fact: The moon is closer to Earth than the Keiper belt.
    Fact: The Keiper belt is the closest source of asteroids/meteors to Earth.
    Fact: The moon can be used as a jumping point from Earth to the Keiper belt.
    Fact: He3 exists on the moon, and can be processed into a fuel source for any future mining endeavour.

Closing with the biggest one:
    Fact: There are no well funded initiatives to colonize the moon currently. People are more worried about things close to home (global economic crises, finding basic resources, etc...) than to those big dreams of people who are lucky enough to have their basic needs.

So, yeah. I understand the allure of real life starships. I also think that people have more to deal with at home than they would like to admit, so dreaming about a utopia in space is a good way to distract from the current suffering. Whenever this project is killed I won't shed a tear, but I would like to see the mentality applied to more immediate and pressing needs...
  9. twilyth Guest

James Cameron and a consortium of investors already beat you to it.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012...crazier-than-deep-sea-drilling-advocates-say/
  10. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    At the same time, many of the things which are happening at home are going to have to be fought on different grounds. Namely the hunger, disease, inequality - these things are unlikely to go away, until we get nanobots and a political system that does not exist for profit. On that same vein, said political systems need to become tolerant in order to advance ahead. The way things are now, we really just need to stop looking back at previous trends of justifying war with religion, suspician, and resources, and instead actually create a one world government by the people, for the people, and of the people, with true freedoms and an educational system within which tolerance is taught, as well as a higher respect for sciences.

And unfortunatly as things are, we have way too many idiots and greed-driven individuals who don't care about the future in office around the world. Until that changes, very little can be done at home.

However, we can at least make a push for space colonization, so at the very least if said idiots at home end up killing us all off, or a comet comes swinging by, at least some of us will survive.

So eh, pretty much there is no straightforward solution for how it should be approached.
  11. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I would rather be dead :)

This sounds awesome and I so wanna watch Star Trek now Go Iowa!

I would totally help out and spend the rest of my time helping build a starship as long as my name can at least be put some where on the ship.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. twilyth Guest

13. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    The Kuiper belt is beyond the orbit of Neptune, the closest asteroids are the near-earth asteroids, which orbit within the inner solar system.
    The Moon isn't the best jumping-off point for further exploration. It's likely that money will be spent to go there and stay, at least semi-permanently, but it's probably more energy efficient to go straight to Mars or theAsteroid belt -- it would take longer but it's a more efficient use of energy. The orbital mechanics would be a bit more challenging but I think the energy expenditure would be smaller to get to a near-earth asteroid, than to land on the Moon.
    The Moon is the next Antarctica; scientific bases, expensive tourism. Maybe something economic, at some point.
    He3 is only useful for nuclear fusion; fusion reactors have to actually become feasible (produce more energy than is put into them), then successfully miniaturized for use in space --- this is all a long way away, decades --- small fission reactors are doable now.
  14. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
  15. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Id rather live on. then i could steal a spaceship and become a space pirate!!
  16. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Uncredited songs are persuable under copyright law. :p

Song from opening sequence from 'Firefly'.

But you all knew that.
    Lionheart says thanks.