1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1000W PSU from PC Power&Cooling

Discussion in 'News' started by W1zzard, Sep 6, 2005.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Developed to power next-generation graphics and high-performance servers, the Turbo-Cool 1KW from PC Power & Cooling will ship worldwide in September 2005. With a form factor that fits most ATX cases, the ground-breaking power supply delivers 1000 watts (one kilowatt) of continuous power with a peak power of 1100 watts. The unit will retail for $489.00 US and carries a 5-year warranty.

The upscale technology behind the Turbo-Cool 1KW was first introduced by PC Power & Cooling in its Turbo-Cool 850 SSI power supply, the industry's current performance leader. Released in February 2005, the 850 SSI has been recognized for excellence by NVIDIA corporation, Tom's Hardware, Maximum PC, and many other high-performance experts.

In order to generate one kilowatt of continuous power from the existing 850 SSI platform, the Turbo-Cool 1KW's power modules were engineered for greater thermal efficiency and key components throughout the unit were upgraded to handle the additional current. The result is an EPS12V/SSI/SLI power supply with unprecedented output (66 amps total on the +12VDC rails) in a form factor that fits most ATX cases.

Download a product brochure:
    http://pcpowercooling.com/press/Turbo-Cool_1KW.pdf

Download a product image:
    http://pcpowercooling.com/press/Turbo-Cool_1KW_med-res.jpg

2. SPHERE New Member

Thanks Received:
    sweet!!!! ... ... ... how much... :(

3. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    489 bucks... ouch

4. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Thats huge! :eek: You could power you computer, fridge, microwave and what ever else you needed. :p

-Dan

5. Don__1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mmmm, things are getting a little silly me thinks, and that includes the price :eek:

6. XooM New Member

Thanks Received:
    you could power like 3 mid-range or 4-5 low-end PCs off that thing O_O

7. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    but you can put a sticker on your short penis saying "i got a 1kw psu" which will make it seem bigger

8. mashie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool, can finally get that USB powered table saw with one of those ;)

9. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your computer needs that much power you need to consider a new hobby.

And the electronics companies need to start thinking of making more electrically efficient designs.

10. nightelf84 Guest

You can probably see the neighbour's lights dim for a bit when you switch on that PSU :D

11. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Well, it was bound to happen, I still remember when a 100W PSU was more than good enough about 10 years ago...
    Even though both AMD and Intel are trying to get more processing cycles per watt from their processors, companies like nVidia and Ati (and perhaps AGEIA in the future :confused: :p) will make sure PSUs such as this one become mainstream some years from now...

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    I still think its overkill, like people run two 6800 ultras and alll the high-end fixings and they are fine with a 600watt. But as W1zz said, great to brag about e-penis lol.

-Dan

13. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that's all I can say, is just wow. I can't comprehend a need for that much power. Perhaps some outrageous PC with dual CPUs, dual phase change coolers, four hard drives in raid 10, two graphics cards, etc. But still, who needs that? I'm very happy with my psu, I don't see myself upgrading it for a few years unless something tragic happens.