1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

$1100 on one part for a computer!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by newtekie1, Jun 5, 2012.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Very annoying spending more money on software than on hardware. When you add the CALs I'll be spending $1250 on the OS alone. And CALs are the biggest load of bullshit ever. People complain about stupid costs for things, but CALs have to be the biggest load. You pay $700 for an OS for a server, and no one can access the server or use the server until you pay $40 each...seriously WTF, is there a bigger rip off?!:wtf:

Sorry, </rant>.

Cybrnook says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That is half of the reason why at my work we don't host any ASP.net applications anymore. Earlier this year I reformatted our last remaining windows server with Ubuntu server. Dual-CPU quad-core xeon 2.4ghz with hyper-threading and 16gb of ram. Makes for a great dev server. :cool:

I feel your pain though. Windows Server licenses are killer.

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well expect nothing less if they can get away with it.. I found it funny that you all so get a Standard version too lol.

And if it's going pay for it's self over time then all is good yes :p..

4. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I wish I could move away from Windows, but the PoS software won't run on anything other than a Windows Server, not to mention the Server also manages the network(domain controller).

I can't stand Small Business Edition...

I don't know that it will be paying for itself, this is mostly a forced update from the software vendor. We have to update the software to remain in compliance, but the new version doesn't support Server 2003, so now is a good of time as any to totally replace the aging server. We will basically be saving about $30 a month in fees by upgrading to be in compliance, so it will pay for itself in about 3.5 years, just about the time when we will be replacing the server again. Funny how that works.:laugh:

I'm just glad it isn't me paying the bill, the client pays the bill, I just install the stuff.

5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Quadro/Fire cards? $3000+ for a card that, as a GeForce/Radeon, would sell for $400 or less.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    The whole CAL system is the biggest joke in the server world.

newtekie1 says thanks.
  7. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    just wait until you need to make it WAN enabled and need to pay for Citrix licensing

8. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looool as if you would buy it.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    LTSP is such a better option too if you're really going to go down that road.

10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    At least in that case you are getting optimizations and special features that you don't get on the desktop variant. With the CAL system you are paying to actually use the OS that you've already paid for. Basically Microsoft is charging you $700 just to install the OS, if you want to actually use it you have to pay another $40 per PC.

Never really had a need to pirate Windows. In this case, this is going in a business, so everything has to be 100% legit. If it was one of my personal servers I'd just use one of my Technet keys. Honestly, with technet, I don't see a point in pirating any Microsoft product for personal use.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    $40 per CAL is still cheaper than $100 per Windows 7.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Well $140 for Win7 Pro, but I can justify the price for Win7 Pro, it is the OS, it makes the computer function. With Windows Server, I'm already paying $700, I shouldn't have to pay more just to actually use it. It would be like Microsoft charging $140 for Win7, then asking that you pay $10 for every extra user account you wanted to create, including the very first user account.

13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    In that case your answer is right there, and as this is for a client maybe he should be the judge of liking or dis liking Small Business Edition ?.

So sooner the better to get upgraded for making the money back to give them it back once again..

There is no trail version of Small Business Edition so your client could try for a week or 2 ?.

14. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    XPunlimited or GoGlobal Graphon will give you RDS type features without CALS

15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    http://ltsp.org/

LTSP doesn't limit you like RDP does (or at least in the same ways). If you have enough Ethernet bandwidth you could run a 3d application using LTSP. I saw an LTSP setup where 5 people where playing 3d games and all it took a 6th user to actually get it to start slowing down, and that is only when playing a 3d game. A couple of PXE thin clients and you're good to go. :p

16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Since I'm the only one that touches the server, and I have to support it, it comes down to what I like. If I had them look at a sheet with the difference between the two they probably look at it upside down and wonder why it is in another language...:laugh:

17. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Um yeah we are talking about a business here, genius.

18. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    software always cost more than hardware in the windows server realm and even sometimes in the linux server realm.

outside of extended warranties and upgrades, hardware is a one time cost. Software is always licensed. For us where we make and support our own sofware, the costs are even higher.