1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1155 Sandybridge motherboard recommendations?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by KieranD, Nov 25, 2011.

1. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Looks like its only the ones with no sli support that support pci-e 3.0, So ivy bridge but no pci-e 3 for me.

2. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
  3. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Weird, says this on that link-Current non-SLI LGA1155 motherboards from ASUS can also take advantage of PCI Express 3.0

Mines not on the pci-e 3 list, but the p8p67-m is which is the same chipset etc, just has xfire but no sli support.

Edit actually, the p8p67-m is on both lists, weird

4. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Okay, just had a long look and the Extreme 3 Gen 3 doesnt have a USB 3 header and the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H doesnt have PCI EX 3.0

Might go for something from MSI instead because i do like the military class components. MSI (G3) revisions support PCI Gen 3 while (B3) do not.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  5. John Doe Guest

PCI-E 3.0 won't be use for a while since GPU's aren't using it yet. Even then, it'd make a miniscule difference over 2.0. So I wouldn't base my purchase over it. As for MSI's military class, it's bull. High current inductors are solid along with the transistor-like caps (Tantalum), but you wouldn't get much of those on the GD-45. I went for the GD-80 and it's solid but there're better options on the lower end. You don't want the Click BIOS for example;

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/06/21/msi_p67agd80_motherboard_review/7

Shoot for the AsRock. ;)

6. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    The G3s are Click Bios II if thats any better? I dont know i quite like the option of having PCI Ex 3.0 and a USB 3 header as i plan to keep this board for a while. I was considering the MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3); its £125 with free shipping. I dunno you kinda put me off now not in a bad way i just dont want to grab any random board. Can't make up my mind. I think I've seen all the boards in this price range so far, unless i look at lower priced boards.

Looked at some P67 boards but the prices are just shy of the Z68 so i thought it was pointless.
    I looked up the MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3) and it seemed pretty solid and the ASUS P8Z68 V was kinda the same but has 3 pci ex slots, the last one is PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 Bandwidth).

Just went for the Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 as i dont think the USB 3 header is worth paying the extra money. The looks of the Asrock are nice and apparently it clocks okay for the price, you wont be pushing 5ghz+ but i just want a nice 24/7 clock.

£112.69 + free delivery. I'll post a pic or something when it arrives.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  7. jagjitnatt New Member

Thanks Received:
    PCIe 3.0 won't help anytime before 2014. As it is we haven't been able to squeeze any performance from PCIe 2.0 over PCIe 1.0

Even dual graphics card can not use so much bandwidth. By the time PCIe 3.0 is required, you'd have upgraded a couple of times more. So no point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]