1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

120/128gb SSD or 600gb VelociRaptor?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by happita, Jul 30, 2010.

1. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I'm having a hard time trying to decide on which new drive to get. A SSD or VelociRaptor. I want a decent sized drive and at the same time I want it to be faster than my current HDD. I'm going to just use 1 drive for boot/games/applications. I have a spending limit of no more than $300 but inability to make a decision is killing me!

I have weighted some pros and cons and heres what I came up with.

SSD pros
    -very fast read/write/access
    -no moving parts, higher durability, lower power consumption, cooler

SSD cons
    -price per gb
    -disk thrashing

VelociRaptor pros
    -fast read/write/access
    -price per gb

VelociRaptor cons
    -1 of the most expensive conventional HDs
    -eventually HDDs will be obsolete

I'm a little bit cloudy on the disk thrashing thing. My cousin has an SSD and he told me that whenever you transfer very small files to an SSD, it is prone to thrashing (don't know how much of that is true) so I come here to seek the answers from the wise ones ;)

2. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    get the ssd, you wont regret it. I was anti ssd for a while because of the price vs size issue. After putting one in my main rig I loved it so much that im putting them in all my rigs.

3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Well, I like to reformat my computer once a year. I have 2 backup drives (1 of them being a real old 100gb and the other more recent 750gb). So, for safety purposes until I get a second 750 or higher for second backup, I'm gonna stuff as much as I can onto my main internal HDD and/or SSD whichever one I decide on. So, the more storage capacity the better.

4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    So, you seem to be swayed to platters.

OK
    This is Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX $279.99 USD with free shipping.

Compare this:
    HighPoint RocketRAID 620 PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SATA 6.0Gb/s Controller Card 54.99 plus 5.99 shipping
    Get and put two of these in raid: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 84.99 ( $10 off with promo code EMCYVNX53 ) Two would be 169.98

Total of two raided 1TB drives on SATA 6.0Gb/s; about, $230.96 with shipping... Cheaper than the VR, more room and probably quicker, than one VR.

Just an idea.:)

Edit: kept it under three hundred and left you enough to get some gummy bears.

Western Digital SATA 6Gb/sec 1TB Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) Review

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  5. Lubna

Lubna

Thanks Received:
    Get a SSD... is more fast

6. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    the whole point of a SSD or Vraptor is access time or latency.... those raided drives wont be faster.

as for the "disk Thrashing" is most likely becouse your cousin has a poor quality SSD... you need to get one with a Sandforce controller such as OCZ Vertex 2 ... or even an Intel SSD...

get a SSD and a 1TB hdd if you need storage.... VR's are so overrated.

7. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Get a high end 64 for the os and everything else on a regular drive.

Im still against ssd, i've had 2 and I just don't see the need. I can't justify them, i know they are fast but can't you wait another 30 seconds?

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    30 seconds? SSDs help for everything..... it all adds up over the day.... up to several minutes..

opening programs is just that much faster.