1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

$1200 Build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by v12dock, Jun 13, 2012.

1. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    My friend is looking to build a new computer with a $1200 budget. He manly plays games and streams

If you could help me put a build together that would be great!

2. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    First, what is the preference for suppliers?

I ask because there's a Fry's in Chicago. Even if you only went once, it's a hell of a thing to go there...

Otherwise, I'm assuming newegg or tigerdirect work?

Edit:
    Also, does your friend need windows? Shaving $140 off a build will get quite a bit more bang...

Edit:
    Do you need a case?

Edit:
    Attached is a build, without case, that just squeaks by under the 1200 mark.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    v12dock says thanks.
  3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    1. What games does he play, or want to play in the future?

2. Does he need a monitor? Or if he has 1, what resolution is it?

Then I can recommend a build for him :)

^ What he said

v12dock says thanks.
  4. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    No monitor, no keyboard and mouse, 1080p, newegg, need windows 7, would prefer a SSD and need a case

Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, league of legends plus similar future releases. He does not play any games that would be considered a hardcore benchmark.

5. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Add a $19.99 case.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233073

Change the PRO windows 7 to Home Premium
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Add 2 sticks of ram, because my stupid self forgot to.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148537

Total: $1,197.89

Wooh, that was close. Nerd cred intact...

Edit:
    For about $100 more, you can do the following: double the RAM, move up to 7 PRO, get a bit nicer of a case, and get some aftermarket cooling. For now, the $1200 gets a decent rig, that can be modded in the future to perform much better (under $200 in a couple years would increase the lifespan substantially, with a mild overclock).

Edit:
    You'll note I included a 120 GB SSD from the onset. It's not a necessity, but I'm betting light gamers will benefit substantially. If you want to go for more storage you can get a larger 2 TB drive and smaller SSD, though I wouldn't recommend dropping lower than 90 GB.

v12dock says thanks.
  6. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    v12dock says thanks.
  7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    RAM limitations.

Free shipping doesn't matter. The other components have shipping, so net cost of your replacement is higher.

v12dock says thanks.
  8. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    no its not lol its the exact same price regardless of shipping. and home premium has a 16gb limit on 64bit.. even home basic has an 8gb limit.
    also i highly dont recommend that motherboard based on so many bad reviews, i would recommend you get this BIOSTAR TZ68A+ LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ... it has great reviews it does everything the other board does and its even recommended by techpowerup

Sh00t1st and v12dock say thanks.
  9. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Once you go SSD you never go back, so if possible I would really like for him to get one

10. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    1 cent difference, which isn't much. To that, I'll just let the argument rest there.

Have you read any of the reviews? Most people are having construction issues. They bought the board, but it doesn't fit how they want it to in their cases. Given this is an matx board, you've got to conclude a little bit of inexperience..

Additionally, Z68 versus Z77. If I was willing to settle for a Z68 recommendation, I'd have gone with the Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 board. It's a better value, BUT LACKS PCI-E 3.0 like all Z68 boards. For the same price, you get much greater future expansion with the board I recommended. Their is method to my madness.

I included a 120 GB Mushkin. I know how nice a 30 second boot is, coming from a 120+ second wait.

v12dock says thanks.
  11. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    theres only a small difference in performance from 2.0 and 3.0 pcie you wouldnt really notice a difference. you could go for a 3.0 and it would be better but you still shouldnt get that board anyways because its been raped by bad reviews. im sure theres a better one for not much more if you look. and you should keep your eye on this video card GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit... you can overclock it a lot more than the evga FTW because of the better cooling and its $20 cheaper :D

v12dock says thanks.
  12. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I can't tell if you're trying to raise my ire, or just not looking thoroughly.

The term "OUT OF STOCK" means that newegg doesn't currently have them. They even put it in all caps, so it's harder to miss.

There is a $10 difference, as there is a mail-in rebate. The factory overclock is higher on the EVGA model.

Claiming PCI-e 3.0 doesn't matter right now is, and I'll be blunt, stupid. You buy a computer with the intent to upgrade in a few years, and extend the lifetime. If you wanted the cheapest high performer right now, I'd have gone Z68 and 2600k. They have a shelf life of a couple more months, but they'd be more cost effective than the 3570 and Z77.

You have to look at the bigger picture though, which is where I think you're falling short. You've recommended all the nice shiny bells and whistles, but haven't fit them together into a coherent jigsaw puzzle. I'm really getting tired of pointing this out, so I'm done responding to whatever you're posting on this thread. You're welcome to suggest whatever you'd like, but my recommendations will stand on their own merit. It's up to v12dock to decide in the end anyways.

v12dock says thanks.
  13. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    My friend will not overclock

14. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    If he can find a used GTX670 for around $300, then I would say get it, but if it's retail...I think it is a tad too expensive for his taste, especially with the types of games that he is going to be playing. A 7870 should be good enough. As for your friend not overclocking, all he has to do is go to Catalyst Control Center and move the sliders, very simple. Whatever questions he has in regards to overclocking, I'm sure you can help him since your an avid poster here too ;)

With regards to what CPU he should get...an i5-2400 or greater should be fine.

v12dock says thanks.
  15. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    if your friend is not OCing then a K series is a waste... also, get him last gen stuff, PCI-3 is going to be completely irrelevant for a long long time, much longer than the time this rig will be around. PCI-E 1 16x is still enough for high end cards (you lose like 2% on average and only on MAX FPS, not when the card is actually stressed).

an i5-2400 like was said would do, a h67 and such... if he ain't oc-ing, then no point in getting premium kit. My build would be perfect for him, and he will love the size :D.

get him this $80 case
    [​IMG]

v12dock says thanks.
  16. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    lol the factory clock is higher? wooo big deal, open afterburner on the gigabyte and watch it fly past the evga, and in case you dont know, out of stock means they dont have any at the moment. im sure theyl get a new load of them within a week, thats why i said keep your eye on it but i guess you cant read very well. and hes building a $1200 rig, getting pci 3.0 is indeed a waste since a max of 2 gpus will take that 3% difference and make it an un-noticable 6% difference. so yea if your still making this build you dont need to waste on a z77 and yea get the gigabyte 670 with the hardcore cooling on it cuz you can overclock it so easy with a few clicks

v12dock says thanks.
  17. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

^ I prefer more GPU power, but if you want the i5-2400 and a lesser GPU you can do that. I don't think the 2400 is that much more, so if you can stretch that 1200 another $15 bucks, you're golden.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
    v12dock says thanks.
  18. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    He was able to obtain a copy of windows. I put a build together myself please feel free to comment. He is also quite adamant about the case I have chosen

[​IMG]

19. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Nevermind Im retarded

v12dock says thanks.
  20. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    yeah that is a sick build... very nice.

v12dock says thanks.
  21. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
    v12dock says thanks.
  22. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    My friend has no interest in overclocking

23. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    you dont have to overclock it

v12dock says thanks.
  24. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    The ram Limitations of Windows 7 Home X64 are 16GB and most people just gaming wont need more than 8GB

v12dock says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Ok, apparently there has been a disconnect.

I always suggest Pro, because there is no feasible ceiling. If you upgrade later, you could well end up with 8GB sticks of RAM. 4*8=32 GB. Thus, you either don't populate all slots, or you can't use everything.

I'm doing this because I still remember installing 2GB in a couple of XP machines. Having to buy a whole new set of RAM to upgrade sucked, but what sucked worse is that the eventual upgrade to 2GB sticks meant that half of RAM was worthless (given, this was due to 32 bit rather than artificial MS limitations). Buying a second OS would have cost as much as the RAM, so I had to make due.

Also, 8GB for RAM is all current gamers generally use. The problem, again, is looking forward. Games and programs are switching over to 64 bit programming, evidenced by having substantial motivation as 64 bit OSs become standard (though 32 bit compatibility will prevent 100% adoption for some time).

All of this aside, I eventually switched to Home Premium. When cost is a hard limit, it's a reasonable compromise.

v12dock says thanks.