1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

120hz display for 2d gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ripsky4501, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ripsky4501

ripsky4501 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a 120hz display for primarily 2d gaming and movies. I am torn between a 120hz screen@~23in. vs a 60hz screen@~27in. Which do you think is a better choice for me? Does 120hz add a noticeably smoother gaming experience over 60hz? I'm not asking if you think it is worth the money, just if there is a noticeably positive difference.

Does any one any 120hz monitor recommendations or 27 in lcd recommendations?

Thx :p

2. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Contemplating to get a 120hz or a sandy as well. All of em stating that you can really see the difference in smoothness.

3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    There is definitely some extra smoothness added. This adds to it if you have a beefy enough system to be able to push 120 fps in game as well, because that will give you the benefit of utilizing frames because of the extra 60hz displayed on screen. LCDs are primarily limited to 60hz because of many different issues, slowly but surely companies are finding ways around these problems and are giving us new technology every couple or so years. CRT to LCD to backlit LED LCD to 120hz....and it isn't all so easy to put together. This is why it has taken this long to get to this point.
    I paid a good penny for my monitor. I'd say it was definitely worth the money. When I get rid of this....maybe lol.....I will have a personal requirement of 120hz whenever I get any computer monitors from now on. I can't go back to what people "normal". I switch it on and off just to see what I "was" playing at when I only had 60hz on other monitors. It is quite noticeable.

Bjorn_Of_Iceland says thanks.
  4. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Ok im sold. Acer Aspire GD245HQ is the only one readily accessible, you think this is ok?

Ok I read there are some image quality issues in 2d, especially in texts, is this true?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011