1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

120hz monitor, Vsync or not?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Horrux, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Horrux

Horrux New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am running SLI GTX 570s and in some types of games, like shooters for example, I make sure to get plenty of FPS. For example, in BFBC2, my fps stay mostly between 90 and about 140-150.

Question is, what's the disadvantage of turning on vsync? I know I won't get the yucky tearing I do when firing the blackhawks' miniguns, but what else should I consider?

Thanks
  2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794
    You can force triple buffering on in games that don't support it using D3DOverrider included with the RivaTuner suite.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Well you will have a lower but more stable framerate. You will likely be capped at you refresh rate, which even with a 120hz monitor might be 60 FPS. However, if the refresh rate is 120 then you will likely see a constant 90 FPS, with occasional jumps to 120. Personally, I always use vsync. The tearing bugs the crap out of me, and the constant framerate jumping when it is off gives the feeling of stuttering and lag.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, you shouldn't unless you like input lag. Vsync works fine with say racing games for example, but with FPS's blech. Read that anand article on triple buffering.
  6. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I read it before. That's not my experience of using vsync, so I stand by my answer.
  7. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, with some games it's not as noticeable. Try L4D with it off on on, it definitely makes a difference for me.
  8. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I might just give that a go. :toast: I reckon if it's very laggy or the frame rate drops a lot, then it's more of a game or driver issue than anything else.
  9. erocker

Thanks Received:
    No, I'm speaking about mouse input lag. Frame rates are locked at 60fps.
  10. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I knew what you meant and I don't notice any problems with it. Admittedly, I can notice a tiny difference if I'm looking for it in a fast-paced FPS, but it's nothing serious.

Ultimately, each user should just try it for themselves for each game and see which way they prefer it. If the system is dropping frames, then you're gonna get motion judder anyway, which vsync won't help with.
  11. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Your monitors native screen resolution is 1680 x 1050 with your SLi setup you will not do any harm using v-sync; best way forward for you is to test a few of your favorite games with it enabled and disabled and see what you think. However saying this you may notice a big difference with non-SLi capable games as you will notice a sharp drop in frames per second and may need to disable v-sync for these.

nb: I must say I prefer v-sync on all the time "cannot stand the tearing at high res"

atb

Law-II
  12. Horrux

Horrux New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I set my mouse at 500 updates a second, and my monitor being 120hz, that would mean that my frame rate would be locked at 120fps. So in essence, my mouse would update at least 4 times per frame, which I think should make input lag absolutely insignificant?

However, I imagine that triple-buffering means 3 frames are rendered ahead of time, so I would likely introduce lag of 3/120th of a second, or 1/40th? Vsync off is single buffering or is there also buffering-induced lag?

Maybe qubit's other post contains an answer, I'm going to go read that now.
  13. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its the jumping around with vsync that looks like stuttering that bothers the crap out of me. Although as long as I can force triple buffering that isn't a problem.

I agree
  14. qubit

Thanks Received:
    If you're seeing 'jumping around that looks like stuttering', then it's not the fault of turning on vsync. It's your system dropping frames because it can't keep up with the monitor refresh - and it is stuttering that you're seeing.

Remember, if the system can keep up with the monitor refresh at all times, then you'll see no stutter. Eliminating stutter/judder is the whole point of spending lots of money on expensive processors and graphics cards. :rolleyes:
  15. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seeing a sudden drop from 60fps to 30fps is what vsync does without triple buffering when the actual framerate drops below 60fps. Its one of those things that wouldn't be noticeable with vsync disabled since there is no framerate cap. Triple buffering can help since the steps aren't as large.

What is your point and what is the eye rolling smiley for? Does that make you feel smarter?
  16. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    i totally agree with you.... but then again ive never had crossfire 6990's with 200+ FPS.... From my useage, vsync screws lags things for me even though i consistently get over 60FPS in most games on my setup
  17. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I've seen that 60 to 30 drop and it's not the end of the world. The alternative is to have constant line tearing and animation artifacts (including very annoying judder) all the time as the game's framerate freewheels. If you want an example, 85Hz animation on a 60Hz monitor is especially juddery and annoying.

This thing is so simple and so duh! obvious and people are being so dumb about it which is why I'm rolling my eyes. What the hell's the point of spending hundreds or even thousands on an expensive tricked-out system only to ruin it by unlocking vsync? :shadedshu

It boils down to what I said before that the system must be able to keep up with the monitor refresh to ensure smooth animation ie one frame per refresh, no ifs, buts or maybes. If you're getting frame drops then you must do one or more of the (non-exhaustive) following things:

- Drop detail/resolution settings
    - Upgrade your system hardware/drivers/optimise Windows of power-sucking services etc
    - Play a game with better frame rates
    - If you can't do any of the above, then live with it

The only time to turn off vsync is when benchmarking or troubleshooting.
  18. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I never have that problem because I properly adjust the settings in games like everyone should.;)
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  19. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:

Yeah, ok. :rolleyes:
    Not every game uses triple buffering. Dragon Age Origins comes to mind as a game where I had to use D3DOverrider. But whatever you think apparently there is a better way.
  20. qubit

Thanks Received:
    You can force triple buffering on with the nvidia drivers. I expect the AMD ones allow this too.

I hope you can understand why vsync must be left on now, BababooeyHTJ.
  21. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, you can't. That only works with opengl. It says it right in the control panel, at least it used to.

What are you talking about?
  22. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure it's OpenGL only? It doesn't specify it in the nvidia control panel, see screenshot:

[​IMG]

Therefore that question remains open.

My detailed and helpful reply to you in post 17 that you decided to ignore. tsk! :)
  23. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try it, I don't know what to tell you. It did not work 7 months ago when I last had a Nvidia card and afaik that hasn't changed. It doesn't work in the AMD control panel either. You have to use Radeon Pro with AMD/ATI.
  24. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Triple buffering has nothing to do with it. Tweak the game settings so you get constantly over 60FPS and the problem is gone, no Triple buffering needed. How is that hard to understand, serioulsy?
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  25. Horrux

Horrux New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, I now realize I am lacking in the CPU department in order to consistently surpass 120fps no matter what graphics settings I use.

6-core, here I come.