1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

13 Horror Games Not To Turn Your Back On in 2014

Discussion in 'Games' started by Samo_Krose, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Another video of remade Resi 2

And here's interesting project Total Chaos. It's a Doom mod (old doom not doom 3 lol) that uses 16x filtering, antialiasing, motion blur and bloom lighting. It's a run and hide survival horror game. Video below:

2. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Daylight didn't impress me that much. The way it read was a clever game about getting out of a mental institute building(s). Unfortunately it was too much hand holding and an awkward placement of paranormal that didn't fit.

Wow, Alma much?

The most terrifying games are often ones that do not involve any direct encounters with monsters or the supernatural.

How about a game that uses the theme/scenery from True Detective where you escaped from someone whom kidnapped you and are now trying to find your way through swamp land and the Bayou in hopes of finding help. It would be really slow paced, realistic physics (i.e. real twenty-four hour time, normal walk speed, jogging, limited sprinting, can cough from kicking up dust and giving away your position etc). You find certain areas or buildings which you consider hiding in, but that may be a bad choice as depending your previous movements, you've left an obvious trail for the person to track you.

Games where you just sprint from room to room looking for the exit are boring. Being lost in large landscapes, without any clue where you are going, meanwhile being hunted by someone? That's creepy.

Well the part where the gate to hell opens in Doom 3, certainly got me freaked out. It's because you could hear/see it coming. That was the worst about it.

Dead Space 1 was a trip, especially at the beginning when you first enter the station and get stuck behind the door while the monster chases you into the elevator.
    Would have been better though without as much monster interaction.

They ever make a Hellraiser game? Play as the toymaker?

A game based off the Pandorum film would be great for a new Sci-Fi thriller/horror.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    You should add Serenity to the list of ideas that games can be made into with interesting concepts and plot twists. The only problem is that licenses need to be obtained which cost money, or you could just morph one of those ideas into an original one, but then a developer runs the risk of getting sued because of a perceived stolen concept.

4. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Another interesting game Among the Sleep

I hope it's gonna be a scary experience

manofthem says thanks.
  5. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Firefly/Serenity as a game would be great - if just for the theme alone. So really we want Mass Effect with a cowboy rugged theme - works for me.

Agreed, licenses suck sometimes.

6. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:

The forest trailer

Vario says thanks.
  7. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Just completed Among The Sleep. Amazing game, I recommend! There's only one game stopping bug which can be fixed by restarting from the last checkpoint.

Now I'm gonna play DredOut next

8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  9. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    You can add newest SilentHill to the list, it will probably come to PC sooner or later, I see the same author confirmed MGS5 for PC..

10. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I'm very interested about Dying Light and Routine. Also lien Isolation.

I kinda wish someone would make a proper first person survival zombie game. Something like Left 4 Dead 2, but more terrifying with less emphasis on shooting. In L4D2 i wasn't really scared because i could gun entire hordes down with 2 clips of ammo. I mean something where every bullet would count, but with same atmosphere and locations. More on doing things silently, save ammo, try to avoid nasty situations, like a proper survival thing.

11. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    So happy. REsident Evil REvelations V2 announced.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Hm, now that i think of it, who would want Telltale Games to make a Resident Evil based adventure? I would. The Walking Dead is a freakin masterpiece and since the thematic is similar, they'd be good at it.

Or just a first person shooter where you'd go into The Hive. I'm apparently obsessed with secret installations like the Black Mesa in Half-Life. Imagine Resident Evil in first person where you as a soldier have to inspect an incident in The Hive laboratory of Umbrella. Similar to how Resident Evil first movie happened. That would be so awesome.

13. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Nope I hope Resi games will stay as they are (preferably something like Resi 3.5, REmake or 0). And I am not interested in walking dead, it looks like video game watching not playing.

They should bring Claire and Rebecca back. Leon and Chris are overused and boring.

14. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:

Good to know that REvelations 2 coming to pc as well

15. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Can't wait for REvelations V2

Jaffakeik says thanks.
  16. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I looking forward for Silent hill game, and probably next month will get Evil within looks pretty nasty bloody game,could be a good game with decent story.

17. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    rad

18. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Yeah new SH game's called Silent Hills :)

Evil within looks like some exaggerated mainstream stuff.

BTW here's the first gameplay of REV2

19. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    easily the best horror video game trailer to date lol

The Evil Within just needs to be better than Resident Evil 5 & 6. Shinji Mikami last couple games have been good.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    RE6 is an awesome game if you COOP. Reayth and I are playing through it now and having a riot. To me its one of the best, if not best RE ever made.

21. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I found Resident Evil 6 to be a clumsy action game with too many set pieces and quick time events. Shadows of the Damned and Vanquish are better games.

22. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Resi 6 is a shooter. Revelations, 4 and 5 have more "classic" moments.

BumbleBee says thanks.
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    By classic you mean you cannot walk and shoot at the same time then yes Ill agree. RE5 would have been great but not being able to walk and shoot is well.......stupid. NONE of the RE are difficult. What made them difficult was the damn controls and screwy camera angles. Not that I didn't enjoy them but the controls have ALWAYS sucked. That's why I like RE6 so much. If you gave it crappy controls it would be identical to older ones. RE6 got a bad rep for no reason IMO other than it was over hyped. Its a damn fun game in COOP.

As for "scary" games I was always a Silent Hill kinda guy. Those games made you think and were difficult to figure out. Controls were not as important.

24. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the survival aspect and tension building have been completely removed from Resident Evil.

25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    The only reason there was ever tension was because you knew your character on the screen couldn't move as fast as your controls did. I mean 99% of my deaths in Resident Evil were from trying to find a place to stop so I could shuffle out my gun and take aim. Not because the game was "intense" it was because I knew the controls sucked. As for survival play RE6 on the most difficult setting and get back to me.

Seriously if you cannot walk and shoot you shouldn't be a F#$KING COP.

rtwjunkie says thanks.