1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

13-Way Web Browser Performance Roundup

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Regeneration, Aug 5, 2012.

1. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  3. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    haven't seen the test so I dunno how they tested. google banned their employees using windows at their workplace so does mean that Windows also sucks?
    oh and btw lots of german government agencies have switched or are switching to linux.

The city of Munich, Germany has "chosen to migrate its 14,000 desktops to a free Linux distribution, rather than a commercial version of the open source operating system" according to a 2005 ZD Net report. The distribution Munich chose was Debian, and is said to have "considered several alternatives before choosing Debian", settling on it ultimately because of price and the degree to which it could be customized to meet Munich's municipal computing needs. The German Foreign Office, as well as the city of Vienna, also opted to make the switch to Debian in 2005.

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup but that doesn't change the fact they found Chrome to be more secure then Firefox. nor does it have anything to do with this conversation. Chrome and IE9 are in fact more secure then Firefox. Let it go.

5. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    a study that was paid by a major IT that compared their products against other products isn't relevant. lots of these studies are paid either by google or microsoft. u won't find any studies or comparisons paid by Mozilla for an example. they aren't a big company and they are in fact they're a non profit organization. if they had money like M$ or google they would also pay for studies that would favour their product.

6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    So Google paid the German government to declare Chrome more secure :wtf:. So what you are saying is that any study done is wrong unless it agrees with you. I agree Firefox is the 1337. :rolleyes:

7. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    i said that i didn't see that german governments test/study. I was only talking about your test being paid by google. i dunno anything about the german test and or who paid for it (the german government or maybe it was paid by someone else)

btw
    Two years ago, for example, BSI urged Germans to stop using Internet Explorer (IE) until Microsoft patched a vulnerability that had allegedly been used by Chinese hackers to break into networks owned by Google and dozens of other Western companies.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Not a valid comparison when talking about security. Firefox v13 has only been out since June 2012, and v14 has only been out since July, IE9 has been out since March 2011. Of course there will be more vulnerabilities found in IE9, the market has had more than a year to analyze it, while they've only had 2 months to analyze Firefox v13.

If you want to see something interesting go look at Firefox v5, which was released in June 2011 right after IE9, you'll see 4 pages of vulnerabilities. So the market found twice the vulnerabilities in Firefox in the same amount of time. Firefox looks better on paper because they are on a rapid fire version release schedule. This means that every time they do updates to the browser the version number is increased, the only real reason to do this is to fool sites that track security stats, because every new version has to have all the old vulnerabilities resubmitted before they will appear on the security site. It basically wipes their slate clean of security vulnerabilities without actually having to fix anything.

And the fact of the matter is, if you are relying on your browser for security, you are an idiot.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    google also does this with rapidly releasing new version. the first Chrome version was released in sept 2008 and they are already to up ver 20 or 21. looks like google also does the same thing then.
    as for security the only virus i have gotten in a long time was a java exploit. I haven't had a virus in a very long time expect for that nice java virus I cought.(sadly java wasn't up to date)

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Java is the devil. That we can agree on. :laugh: :toast:

11. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Actually the results are fake. Imagine yourselfs to create a program as a benchmark.
    Why would you do that? For money! Who pays more? Google Chrome!
    Give me money! I put you first!
    IE is the same. The only place i see big differences is when i play YOville on facebook.

12. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Good news for Chrome lovers:

Finally ...

13. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I've been using palemoon 64 for years benchmarks don't mean much to me for browsing.

14. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Bieber filter, adblock plus, tinyeye, and a few others.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I decided to search for a "bieber filter" add-on in FF and I found the CNN IQ Raiser. Unfortunately it only seems to be for CNN.com so it is useless for any non-American. I applaud the initiative though.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    @Steevo ... I don't think I even want to know what a Beiber Filter is. :laugh:

@mtosev : I see that you have a broken IMG link in your sig. You need to use the [sigpic][/sigpic] tags for signature pictures.
    Instructions here

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
    mtosev says thanks.
  17. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    i mainly use ProxTube. most of you americans don't need it as you don't get GEO blocked videos on youtube

oh and here is a pic of my broken IE9:
    [​IMG]
    GPU acceleration and IE9 don't mix well with my current computers configuration:)

dunno who to blame Microsoft or amd for the issue:D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012