1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1400-1800$ Photo/GraphicsEditing/Architecture PC

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by zlik, Oct 28, 2012.

1. zlik New Member

Thanks Received:
    1) What will you be doing with this PC?
    Mainly photo editing (Lightroom, Photoshop), architecture (CAD and 3D modelling/renderings), some video editing (Premiere, After Effects) and maybe some gaming.
    2) What's your budget?
    Between 1200$ and 1800$
    3) Which country do you live in?
    Switzerland
    4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
    MB, CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD+HDD, PSU, case, (CPU cooler?)
    6) Will you be overclocking?
    a little bit, if I can
    7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
    32" 1920x1080
    8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
    as soon as possible, (this week).
    9) What features do you need in a motherboard?
    USB3.0, RAID1 (HDD reliability),
    10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS?
    yes, 64bit windows 8

Hi, and thanks for reading. First build for me. After much research, I've come up with the following setup (prices are from Swiss online shops):

MB: Asus P8Z77-V PRO (200$)
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K (335$)
    GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 660 (230$)
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 4 x 8 GB - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 (190$)
    SSD (O.S.): Samsung 930 Series 128GB
    HDD (data): 2x Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Sata 6GB/s 7200rpm (2x147$)
    PSU: Seasonic G-650, 650W, 80+ Gold (140$)
    Case: Sharkoon T9 Value (67$)
    CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2

My thoughts:
    - I need as much CPU and RAM as I can afford (photoshop eats RAM for breakfast and rendering times depend on CPU).
    - I don't really know how much GPU I need, and where it will be of any benefit. I've thought about the Quadro's but I'm not sure I need them (can't afford the expensive ones and the cheap ones like the Quadro 600 don't seem to be very powerful).
    - I was thinking of putting the two 3TB HDD's in RAID1 for reliability (backup in real time). I will still back my data up every week on an external drive as well.

Questions:
    - any suggestions/better component combination for that price ?
    - is the 1155 socket a good choice? (I have the impression that the 2011 socket, with X79 + i7 3930k, is not worth it)
    - is RAID1 a good idea for data reliability ? Is it easy to set up with this mother board?

Thank you in advance.
  2. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    I think overall that is a very solid build. Nothing really is a letdown, If you wanted to save abit of money, the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 is ok, but there are plenty of cheaper coolers which would do the same job, such as the 212 evo.
    The gtx660 is a good card with plenty of crunch.That should serve you well, the quadros could be useful but i think the 660 is the way to go.Quadros are quite expensive.
    The 1155 socket (I HEAR) is good, i havent heard any bad reports, HOWEVER I use an amd build.

RAID 1 is good for data integrity and backups, as it uses mirroring of the drives. It would give you abit more reliability, however I dont RAID my drives and have never had any issues.

Thats my opinion anyway, Goodluck

Cheers =)
  3. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    How's the FX-6100 treating you? is it as bad as they say it is? (kinda want to save some $$$ on my build, so I'm considering an AMD build)
  4. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it is a pretty good build. You make clear intentions to make money out of this PC, which in my opinion is a very very good motive.
    +1 to the idea to have a look at cheaper CPU-coolers. 212 EVO really is a great choice.
    Nothing to pick on :)

Off topic: I would go for a smaller package: mATX+corresponding case and probably a Corsair Dominator for the RAM. But that is totally personal preferance and has nothing to do with the suggested build.
  5. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
  6. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    fx-6100 is fantastic!highly reccomended.Never had a hickup and runs like a charm! ;)

:toast:
  7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure that not all ASRock boards have issues, but on my P55 Extreme the voltage regulators blew out--now it's very unstable and refuses to boot a good bit of the time. This was with a fan blowing on them and the CPU at stock, too.
    jgunning says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    My only remark would be to replace the WDs with Seagates. Not sure about there but here the Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TBs are cheaper, faster, and more reliable than the WD green drives.
    Jetster says thanks.
  9. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    that build is a monster.
  10. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    32" 1920x1080 Photo/GraphicsEditing/Architecture PC
  11. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Well from what I see Top of the line AsRock boards now are competing with other brands and provide as much reliability as them too. This board has a lot of solid features and he could save some $$$.

Nice! Kinda wanting to get this over the Core i5 -2300. Might pair it with a MSI 880GMS-E41FX (website says it supports the FX series, though I'm not sure if it does out of the box)

Would you recommend the FX-6100 over the Core i5?
    jgunning says thanks.
  12. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    I would definitly reccommend this over the i5..Bit of personal preference, however my machine at work is an i5 and my home machine has the 6100, I much prefer the amd build at home. =)

:toast:
  13. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    All those parts have been on sale recently. Shop around. The Seasonic 750 gold was just on sale at NE for $100
  14. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Well I'd rather hear it from a user than a review around the net! :cheers: First PC was an AMD, this PC would be an AMD as well!

Thank you!

On topic: The build is great for nearly anything you want to do. Are you planning on building it yourself or are you gonna have it assembled?
    jgunning says thanks.
  15. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Could you please tell us your E-tailer so we can get some better alternatives for you?
  16. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  17. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  18. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
  19. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I wish people would set there location in the UserCP
  20. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    AMD would be doing great right now if you could split a thread into multiple cores. Until then, the high-end AMD stays on the low-end.
  21. zlik New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the replies.

Sorry for the late reply, I had set to get notifications by email for replies to this thread and I didn't get any email for all but the first reply, which is too bad because there are some good advices here that I couldn't use before ordering 2 days ago (the only thing I haven't ordered yet is the graphic card).

So here is my final setup:

Asus P8Z77-V PRO
    Intel Core i7-3770K
    Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cpu cooler
    G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x 8GB 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - 9-9-9 2N
    Samsung SSD Drive 830 Series 256GB
    Western Digital RE4 2TB/64MB - 7200rpm
    Seasonic X-660 (SS-660KM) Gold - 660W
    Corsair Carbide Series 300R case

Unfortunately, it's too late to go the X79 + 3820 route.

So, 256 GB SSD instead of 128, and 16GB ram instead of 32 for now. And I changed from 2 caviar greens to one RE4 (faster and more reliable). I don't know yet if I'll be doing raid1 or not. I might buy some additional HDDs/SSDs to complete the system.

I'm still hesitating about the graphic card... the GTX 660 wins hands down against the cheaper Quadros in a some domains, but the Quadros might have a few advantages in the specific areas they were designed to work (CAD, 3D, etc).

Yes, if I will be doing RAID1, it's not for backup, but as a safety net for hard drive failures.

Thanks. Yes, too bad I didn't see the advice on cheaper coolers before...

Thanks, but as I said, I saw the replies too late because I didn't get any notifications by email. I went with the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO.

I did change the WD greens, after I saw that they are 5400rpm. I went with the enterprise class RE4.

Thank you, but I live in Switzerland.

I am planning on building it myself, with the help of some friends and lots of tutorials on the web. I've read to be careful about subjects like static electricity, thermal paste for CPU cooler, contact points between mother board and case, etc. I might come back for questions when that moment comes ;)

I use www.toppreise.ch (you can set it in english), which gathers data from all the major e-tailers in switzerland. It tells you which one is cheaper for every part. 1CHF (swiss franc) is almost equal to 1 dollar, so it's easy to have a reference.

Yes, I'm swiss ;) as I said, I use www.toppreise.ch

I'm sorry for the confusion. I did state that I'm from Switzerland in the original post though ;)

Right now, I am still hesitating on the graphic card. nVidia GTX vs Quadro ? or ATI ? Some programms are optimized for nVidia cards... budget is between 100$ and 400$. It really has to be worth it for my use to get an expensive one. CPU+RAM are usually the most limiting components for my work (renderings, photo editing). The programs I use are, Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign, Archicad, AutoCad, Vectorworks, Premiere (not often), After Effects (not often).

Thanks again to everybody.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  22. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    I would go with the Nvidia GTX cards if I were you. CUDA helps in 3D modelling and works well with Photoshop. You could try for AMD cards tho.

I suggest within that budget is to get a GTX 660 ($230), GTX 660 Ti ($300), GTX 670 ($380)for the Nvidia; then the HD 7870, HD 7950 (not sure about the prices tho) for AMD.

Quadro/Firepro cards are too expensive for your budget (the high tier ones ofc)