1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

140mm fan recommendations?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Meizuman, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    So, I have antec 300 and I am thinking of getting a new top fan to replace the hummy tricool. I modded it to be able to use a controller with 3 different settings, which is quite nice, but the noise is a problem. I don't know if the fan could be "tuned" by doing something to the blades (like sanding or cutting). When you listen closely, the fan blades make a "tearing" sound, even at low speeds. And when listening farther away, it hums too loud for my delicate ears :p

So, the question. Which would be a good 140mm alternative? It should be able to run pretty high speeds, and work undervolted. AND it should be about on the same level as my Scythe Slip Streams (SY1225SL12SH I really like these fans: cheap, powerful when necessary, silent, good airflow-to-noise ratio and undervolts like a charm, below 500rpm)

2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I'm amazed by Fractal Designs Silent series. Even tho I only have the 120mm models, they are inaudible. Except when you press your ear into the blades (mind you, I tested that with the fan directly hooked up to the PSU). So I can only assume the 140mm ones will be even more silent, which is practically impossible :laugh: Seriously, Fractal Design fans = Good quality, low noise, and they push quite a bit of air. Plus: Sleeved cables :p

Meizuman says thanks.
  3. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I have heard about that brand, but never saw them in my country... I'll check them out. :)

EDIT: 600rpm's wont do much good for me... When I'm on the mood (ph1 gets hot) I would need about 60-100CFM's... I know, I know, I'm crazy.

4. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Oh come on, they're Swedish, they must be around in Scandinavia :D

5. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    Didn't you know that we make fun of Swedish people all the time... It's a tradition. :p

6. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Oh like Switzerland and Austria? Didn't know that no :p Altho I remember a member here saying Fractal Design product were rare, and he was from Finland or Scandinavia somewhere... kind of hard to believe, lets see if you find some products. Just don't buy Cooler Master fans, I have several of them and they're not really good in my eyes (and ears).

7. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
  9. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I saw that xigma on Performance-PC's site.. Looks really good on my eyes too. Interesting blade desing, reminds me of Noctua NF-S12B. Should mod it to have a switch for the leds though.

How about Scythe Kaze Maru?

Thanks MRCL, I totally forgot the Aquatuning... It hasn't been here for long yet.

Edit: NoiseBlocker NB-BlackSilentPRO PK-3, now that looks what I want. Sleeved cable, rubber install thingy + long bolts... And it comes with a 6 year warranty! Now I'm almost sold :cool: *thinking of placing an order*

Edit2: Sharkoon System Fan Power would be cheap, but one author commented that those models tend to tick.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009