1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

16:9 letterbox on 4:3 CRT

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Red_Machine, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I'm considering tossing my 22" 1680x1050 LCD and just using my 22" 2048x1536 CRT and was wondering if I could set it somehow to display widescreen resolutions in letterbox. I tried looking in the nVidia Control Panel for an aspect ratio option like that have for LCD monitors, but there doesn't seem to be one.

Is there a way I can do this bar manually setting the picture's width and height via the monitor's built-in control panel?
  2. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    why would you want to? Obviously things like blu-rays and dvd's will do it automatically when played, but why else would you want it to do that?

The larger height would be far better than widescreen on web pages and office documents, and games will look best at its native res anyways.
    LordJummy says thanks.
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, yogurt is right. You're actually losing height, not gaining width by doing this. You should always use a screen mode that fits the shape of the screen.

Set you PC's output at 2048x1536 and be happy. This is a really high resolution and I'd kill for an LCD that had it (I know yours is a CRT).

Incidentally, 1920x1080 will display just fine on a 4:3 monitor like yours. You'll simply see huge blank areas top and bottom, that's all.
    LordJummy says thanks.