1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

16 active pipes on my X850PRO AGP, what else can I do now ?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Camilo, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Camilo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I have now 16 active pipes on my X850PRO AGP. After flashing with the XTPE rom I restored the original X850PRO rom to avoid the extra heat from the XTPE frequencies and maintain fan control. I gained around 15-20% in performance running at stock 500/500, very nice trick, thanks a lot to all the posters for sharing about this hack.

What else can I do now with stock video card cooling and a well ventilated case ?

My temps. are around 72C at full load at 500/500, can I safely up the numbers a little bit and gain some more speed ? what numbers do you recommend ?

Thanks !

Camilo.

2. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    you'd definetly benefit from a better cooler. and arctic silencer would be a good route to go, that'd allow for higher clocks at lower temps.

3. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Just get the omega drivers and change when the fan comes on at 100%. Mine was running 71*C until I made the fan come on 100% at 55*C, now I run 65*C under load.

5. Camilo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies, the Artic Silencer sound great, how difficult is it to install ? what temp. limit is considered still in the safe margins ? 80C ?

Camilo.

6. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    theres an instruction manual in the retail package, it'll guide you step by step. If you can use a screwdriver, some nail polish remover, and a Q tip, you can change a video card's heatsink :p

7. dvs amd New Member

Thanks Received:
    On the arctic cooler, does any keep the "pads" on for the chips or take em off? The sticky pads that come on the cooler. Would u benefit more taking them off?

8. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    yes you would. dude those things SUCK. I got memory artifacts on stock settings with my X850XT. A piece of metal and thermal pads are one sorry excuse for a memory cooler...just replace the cooler in its entirety. you'll be much happier. And remember, do NOT hack your fan settings with ATItool after you get the Silencer. you'll shorten the poor things life lol.

9. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    I run mine at 100% since it makes a wierd wirring noise if i go below 70%. It's running almost 24/7 and i've had it for almost 6 months. Not doubting what you say or anything, it might just be that i've got a lucky one or one from a good batch, because it seems to be lasting... Damn, just jinxed it havn't i :p

Yeah, the backplate, and the thermal pads suck badly. It also means you have to buy replacement pads if you remove the cooler too many times, because they tend to break up. After fitting the silencer and looking at how much lower my memory was stable, i nearly re-fitted the stock cooler.

10. dvs amd New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried it without the thermal pads and the heat sink doesnt seem to rest on the memory chips though (gpu side).