1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1st timer, need help checking if the parts match up with each other...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by MrGr33n, Aug 28, 2010.

1. MrGr33n New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, this is my first post in TPU and also my first time building a computer and I have only picked out most of the important parts that is needed to build my new computer. I just want to know if everything is compatible and if it will fit in the ATX casing that i chose, and if the power supply is sufficient to run everything. Thanks. Suggestions are welcomed too! :) Thanks again.

My goal is to build a computer that will last me for at least 4-5yrs + gaming needs (Ex: Starcraft 2, etc...), and my budget is from $700-800, if possible. Thanks!

CPU:
    Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache
    LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor $194.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

Video Cards:
    (not sure which 1 is better, but I'm in favor of EVGA over the GIGABYTE one, suggestions?)
    EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $132.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

OR

GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $229.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125333

MotherBoard:
    GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $119.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128425

RAM+Case COMBO:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL $92.99
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $69.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.469343

Power Supply:
    Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply $79.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

That is my current list so far. I hope I didn't really screw up that much :ohwell:
    HardDrives and DVD drives I have too, just going to transfer from old computer, which is the Dell Dimension 8400 >,>".
    Any suggestions and things that I should also buy for building my first computer?
    (Do wires come with the computer parts, and that Heat Sink glue thing?)
    Is this build possible?
  2. blu3flannel

blu3flannel

Thanks Received:
    DEFINITELY the Gigabyte GTX 460. The 9800GTX was a good card, but that was 3 generations ago and the GTX 460 is the in the performance hot spot right now. Other than that, It looks like a good build! :toast:
    MrGr33n says thanks.
  3. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    hi.gif and welcome to techpowerup

your list looks ok to me,

and yes wires like your sata cables and parallel ata should come with you mother board everything else will come with the case and powersupply

i'd agree with blu3flannel get yourself a gtx460 :)
    MrGr33n says thanks.
  4. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    MrGr33n says thanks.
  5. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the list i suggested on another thread ...
    $773- MIR $30 = $743 (you can get the 1GB GTX460 instead of the one listed in this)
    [​IMG]
    MrGr33n says thanks.
  6. MrGr33n New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh wow fast response. Thanks everybody for the suggestion I will do those right away. A few more questions: Is there anything else i need to get to build the computer? Like the glue and the heat sink does those come with the processor?

this is my final build config:
    [​IMG]

PS: the casing has this 2 top frontal usb slots and audio jack, those will fit with the motherboard right? Cause I'm afraid when i buy it the parts doesn't fit >,<
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  7. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get an aftermarket cooler, the stock heatsink fan is fine but you want something that offers more cooling for that i5.
    MrGr33n says thanks.
  8. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    At least 4-5 years is not going to happen, you will need to upgrade/replace certain components periodically to stand a chance of that.

That glue you are talking about is called thermal compound, it makes sure the aluminium or copper base of the heat sink makes contact with the CPU. It isn’t a glue as such as it doesn’t stick it down.

It doesn’t really matter which one you buy, most tend to be the same.

thermal compound
    MrGr33n says thanks.
  9. MrGr33n New Member

Thanks Received:

Thanks for the welcome :toast:
  10. MrGr33n New Member

Thanks Received:

Any suggests? Thanks! :)
  11. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    An aftermarket cooler isnt necessary at all. The i5 comes with a cooler which is reasonably good. I would only invest in a aftermarket cooling if I was planning on overclocking or if you wanted to significantly reduce the noise output.

If you're not overclocking you'd be better off putting the money of the $30-50 aftermarket cooler onto a better video card or processor.

Yes, motherboards have audio and USB pins as standard. It will fit.
    MrGr33n says thanks.
  12. MrGr33n New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everybody once again. I'm really new in building a computer too, and sorry for the newbie questions.

@Dent1: Yeah, I'm not planning to overclock and do anything crazy like that yet anyways. But the i5 cooler isn't that noisy right?

@bogmali: Thanks for the suggest, but I'm kinda on budget so do I really need to get an aftermarket cooler for the i5 because I don't really plan on overclocking >,<
  13. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    not oc no need for after market cooler.. but you should really consider it its fun and makes things go fast!

building your own computer and not OC, is like baking cookies and not adding extra chocolate chips
  14. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    i personaly would suggest asking a friend with a fair amount of computer building experience to give you a little help

why ?

well although most of us have built our own machines (including me) it can be hard to convey exactly what we mean in writing

example

you mention glue (or Thermal Interface Material (tim for short), now although you don't have to be a rocket scientist to apply it to your processor you might (i say might) have problems attaching the cooler to the processor

why ?

well the basic cooler i got with my i7 was an absolute nightmare to fit, and i mean nightmare
    i have heard of people damaging their motherboards trying to get them to fit, virtually snapping them (even with instructions and videos),and this cooler was no different,

luckily with my motherboard the cpu's backplate was pretty solid so i managed to fit my cooler by placing the motherboard on the edge of my table and pushing really realy hard, but by god was it hard to get them pins down

i'm not trying to put you of building one, but that is one thing to think of, the rest is pretty simple stuff :)

my suggestion would also be an aftermarket cooler as they are generaly easier to fit