1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1yr down. Is BF4 alone worth the jump to Win 8?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GLD, Oct 17, 2013.

1. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    BF4 is near. Win 8 has been out for about a year. Is BF4 a good enough reason by it's self to make the move to Win 8? I played the BF4 beta on my 7850/Win 7 rig and it looked/ran stealer.

I am thinking a R9 gpu or a maybe a 79xx would be money better spent for current Win 7 users...
  2. Flibolito

Flibolito

Thanks Received:
    Mine ran great in Windows 7 as well so I am sticking with it. It's still my favorite OS, I do run Windows 8 on my laptop but for a real desktop/gaming machine I still feel W7 is the best all around.
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I have moved to Windows 8 on all my machines and love it. I loved Windows 7 and still do, but 8 is a solid OS and worth a look imho. It comes down to preference and willingness to accept change (be it useful or not), and moving to Win8 has also prompted me to get back into Linux distros as well. Been having fun with that and really enjoying the stability, smoothness and speed of windows 8. Great at gaming...I have noticed nothing that would show it's any different from Windows 7 on my rig (see sys specs).

Honestly if I were you I'd focus on the hardware, and then catch Windows 8 on a sale. I paid $60 for Win 8 pro not long ago...well worth it at that price imho!

A lot of people dog windows 8 including myself for a while...I'm glad I gave it another shot. I don't find myself missing windows 7 on my main rig at all.

:toast:
    The Von Matrices says thanks.
  4. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    8.1 comes out in 2 days. And includes alot of tweaks that people want.. I'm making the jump then.
  5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Metro interface sucks and I hate the BSOD with the : ( symbol

I'll stick with 7 myself. I figure Windows 9 or 10 is the one to aim for, 7 is the new xp is the new 98 etc...
  6. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Holy shit, Didn't even realize it was coming out that soon!
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    8.1 retail is up on technet. Yay.
    digibucc says thanks.
  8. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    For me BF4 isn't worth it on itself ;)
    Let alone going Windows 8 for it.
  9. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    I'll wait till BF4 actually comes out and see what's what then.

Personally I don't want to change OS. I hate backing up tons of data and save games.
  10. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Realistically, I don't think it is worth it. Unless W8 (8.1) has a feature you need (visible or under the hood). Can't think of one. it is just a little evolution with a surprise under the form of animated tiles.
  11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    For one game nope.. Unless you play it a hell of a lot and you like Win8 maybe then but is it worth it ?, i would have to say no..
  12. zsolt_93

Thanks Received:
    For an old build i would not necessarily change the OS to 8/8.1, but for an AMD FX or Intel Haswell build i will surely recommend getting these operating systems. Windows 7 was from the era of Nehalem and Phenom II and a lot has changed since then, for me it seems like running XP on a machine that has a first gen i7 and missing out on the optimizations in the core of the OS, that aren't delivered as updates for older versions, as there was a difference between 8 even in preview and the bulldozer patched win7.
  13. Dent1

Thanks Received:

You don't need to change operating system every CPU generation.

Windows XP was almost 10 years old when Windows 7 came out and Microsoft was slowly dropping support, as was game developers. There was a lot of changes as far as DirectX which made driver support from Nvidia and ATI less attractive. DirectSound3D was also rewritten so soundcard manufacturers had less incentive to continue support for Windows XP. Microsoft was also pushing for 64-bit instructions which derailed software developers further.

As far as Windows 7, it's still a new operating system, fully supported. The move to Windows 8 is more cosmetic.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  14. zsolt_93

Thanks Received:
    Thats not a generation i am talking about. That is 3 on the Intel side from Nehalem to Haswell and 2 on AMDs if you take Vishera or Richland that came out after the OS was released. There is no problem with DX11.x yet as all are based on 11 and can fall back on it in case the devs choose to implement something from 11.2 or 11.1. I wouldnt be sure of this support thing after 8.1 is released and even less sure next year if a new version gets released again after all 8.1 is more like a Servicepack1 being given free for 8 users. It wont take long to get 7 on the extended support that XP was on for the last 5 years. Sure it still gets updates and is not dropped by hardware manufacturerers in the drivers to legacy category but its not something you should rely on. If you already have a 7 license i see no point in paying to upgrade, but if you buy something new for the same or less you can get 8 which will last longer, even if a lot of people hate it or if you have it based on a technet or dreamspark subscription, why not use it? Noone hated XP with its new Start menu in the day, that was completely different from what has been on 95-2000 in terms of organization, its just people whining about the metro interface that stops people getting 8 not anything else so get over it as it wont go away.
  15. Dent1

Thanks Received:

Windows 7 won't be demoted to legacy drivers any time soon.

Even Windows Vista (2006) doesn't have legacy drivers.

The only reason XP was demoted to legacy driver was because its over a decade old and the big changes to Direct X, Direct Sound and the move to 64-bit computing. Since Windows Vista nothing dramatic has influence the operating system world to justify legacy support.
  16. Muhad

Muhad

Thanks Received:
  17. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    7 is here to stay for at least the next 6 years. Windows got something right and everyone is sticking with it. The metro interface was too much for me last year so I skipped 8 and went to 7 with my builds.
  18. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I used windows 8 for a few months but never really liked it. Windows 7 is better for me and I'll stick to it for now.
  19. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    BF4/DX 11.1 was the final nail in Windows 7's coffin for me. There were enough other good improvements and additions in 8 that I would have upgraded eventually anyway (next time a system wipe was warranted I guess but now doing sooner). Besides, we should like and want to use the latest and greatest stuff provided it is actually overall better in some key ways which 8 is.
  20. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    W8.1 runs better than W7 on my system. I pair it with Start8 and I am happy
  21. Muhad

Muhad

Thanks Received:
    I have W7 Prof x64. Once they patched BF4 the game ran just find. Averaging fps of 70 and up.
    I think W8 is being pushed by M$, and maybe DICE is getting some money for using Dx11.1.
    The relationship between BF4 and W8 seems a bit suspicious to me.
  22. Muhad

Muhad

Thanks Received:
  23. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    we kinda all knew that already but . . . . . . I say stick with 7
  24. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  25. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I Hate the interface but at least it's able to be modified.
    Is win 8 worth it, with that new cache method? No, not really.
    Because only one game is even talking about it so far.
    Will be years before more even start using it.
    We can't even get proper dx 11 support yet.