1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2 gig ram and over clockin

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by mrbudgie, Feb 24, 2007.

1. mrbudgie New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello all

can have 2 gig of ram in this format effect overclockin, 4x512mb of OCZ5001024ELDCGER2-K

which is ddr500 rated at 2.5/3/3/8

with my old gig of mem my processor was stable at 2.7 but with this much ram i can go past 2610mhz, and i am struggling to get more than 190mhz from ram my MB is the A8R32-MVP Deluxe with 0602 bios , any tips on voltages or setings or suggestions would be aprreciated

thanks ian

2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    4 dimms is hard to oc with

3. munz778 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm using 4x512MB OCZ 4400 (DDR550) but so far my max prime95 stable OC has been 240MHz (DDR480). my volts in bios are set to 2.8v (using p4c800-e dlx on 3.2GHz prescott @ 3.84) i've booted into windows and run 3dmark using 4 dimms at 4GHz but it's not prime stable.

from my experience, you're bound to lose a few MHz when using 4 dimms as opposed to only 2. further, 4 dimms may pose stability problems etc. especially if you don't have a good enough PSU. you'll have to check your individual dimms but OCZ's love volts (usually rated for 2.8v but some will go as high as 3.2 using OCZ's boosters - but don't take my word for it, check it out)

also i recently upgraded from a 3.0GHz northwood (manufactured jun 2003) to a 3.2GHz prescott (october 2006), the older NW core limited my OC to only 225 stable, so it's very possible for the CPU to be the limiting factor for your OC and not the RAM.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  4. mrbudgie New Member

Thanks Received:
    so do you think if i up the memory volts it would be better as it is set to auto at the mo

5. munz778 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry i didn't see your post there. find the specs to your memory type first, and if your specs are identical to these, then i'd set it to 2.75 as stated in the specs and see if it makes a difference. further, this memory has:

"**OCZ EVP (Extended Voltage Protection) is a feature that allows performance enthusiasts to use a VDIMM of 2.9V ± 5% without invalidating their OCZ Lifetime Warranty."

that means in this case you can go as high as 3.0v to help stabalize the system, but you'd be better off asking the manufacturer directly for your mem type. a good place to start would be to check with a mod on the OCZ forums before setting it any higher.

also how are you testing for stability? i'd recommend prime95 and memtest86 to help isolate whether its your mem or cpu that's holding you back. good luck