• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2 PC Watercooling Idea

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling LEPA AquaChanger 240
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Storage Seagate St1000dx001
Case Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
Hello all!

I currently have a gaming computer, and my girlfriend will soon be building hers (Which is going to be essentially a clone of mine, but with a better GPU)

Eventually we will likely be looking to move in together, if/when we do so our gaming rigs will be set-up side by side.

I've always wanted to run a custom cooling loop, and was curious as to how likely it is to be able to run a single loop to cool both of our PC's.

Basically, I'm wondering specifically if it can be done in such a way as to be less expensive than running two separate loops for each computer. I have plenty of knowledge to run all the tubing I'd need, I'm just wondering if it can be done with standard parts. I know you can get just about anything done with enough time/effort/money.
i.e. I'm not hooking up a car radiator or anything.

Aside from perhaps swapping out a regular pump for a small pond/lake pump, I'd want to stick to standard reservoirs and radiators that can be mounted into the HAF-X case.

What do you guys think? How much would it cost (Wild ball park)

Would be cooling the 4790K & GTX 980 in my PC, and another 4790K & GTX 980Ti in hers.
Both Processors would be heavily overclocked, it's a hobby/addiction I can't rid myself of, but at least I am being honest :p
My 980 might be heavily overclocked, would probably leave her Ti alone.......for a while at least.

(P.S. I won't likely be taking this on for another 6 months to a year or so at the earliest, just a wild thought at the moment...I'll make a new thread if I decide to go through with it)

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I don't have that much WC knowledge, but I suppose it would technically be possible to run two computers on a single loop... but it would be very clunky. You would have to have both computers interconnected. Something like, in the HAF case, your res>pump>cpu>gpu>rad>long tube over to other cpu>gpu>long tube back to rad>back to reservoir. Maybe would need to add more pumps, or have a bigger, more powerful pump to push all that. I'd imagine the rad would have to be quite large as well... you're talking about cooling what might come up to around 1000w here with both those overclocked cards and cpus.

Seems like a silly idea IMO, going through all that. I'd probably just stick the biggest Corsair Hwhatever cooler you can fit in the other case for the CPU and leave it at that. Maxwell doesn't run all that hot anyway.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Technically speaking, it's entirely possible. A bit of a pain in the ass, but possible all the same.

Practically speaking its a ridiculous idea. You'd either need to have the pump running off of one PSU, and ensure that PC is turned on first, or somehow split the 24pin so both PC's turn on with the same power button. Not to mention the fact you could either run in a single large case (see: HAF Stacker), or run it across two separate cases and be presented with a logistical nightmare.

In short, unless your cash is a-flowing, it's a relatively terrible idea - more fun than functional.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
You can actually build a separate WC standalone. Use a 9x120 square rad, D5 vario pump, or two in series, with a standalone reservoir. You can then plan on how to best plumb the three systems together. It means each PC only has tubing, blocks and connectors with the working parts of the loop, pump-rad-res-fans, external.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10