1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2 Ram Sticks

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by cmpunk600, Dec 8, 2012.

1. cmpunk600 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everybody I have 2GB of ram and now it's suddenly not working and this is my story.
    Like usual day i sat down and was ready to use my computer but something happened and when i pressed start button my pc would automatically turn off after ~2 seconds. So i tried to solve the problem and found out this that my pc would boot when my ATX12V is plugged out. PC would boot but there was nothing on my screen. So I took out one stick of ram out of two and plugged in ATX12V wire and my pc would work. I haven't changed my sticks of ram i have used theese like for four years, but suddenly my pc would only boot one ram stick but not two. So how could i fix this problem and sorry for my english it's not perfect.

2. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You need to check the faulty slot as well. I'd put the working ram in to the other slot and ensure it's not the slot that is faulty. If it is the ram then you'll need to purchase new ram. There's not really anything you can do to fix faulty ram. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. cmpunk600 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Both sticks are working, slots as well.

4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    If, both, the sticks and slots are testing good... then, try resetting your BIOS(CMOS).

5. cmpunk600 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Already did i pulled the battery out, and put back in after 5 mins.

6. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Have you actually tested the sticks?
    Have you run a memtest86 on each stick?

Memtest86 Free Download Page
    Memtest86 Technical info/Installation

Even though the sticks boot up and run under windows or whatever OS individually, they could still be failing/causing errors.
    I had a stick that would run fine for a while... then, bam, unexpected hardware error. When testing it would pass all but one little certain test. .
    I can't recall which part of the test, but, it would fail at that same point each time.

7. cmpunk600 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't actually think it's because of rams today pc started from the thrid time trying to turn on pc. Like i said when the two sticks are put in, pc would not start, but when ATX12V is plugged out the pc would boot with two ram sticks in it and when ATX12V is plugged in pc would start with one stick of ram.

8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    A PC will not boot without the ATX 12V. Your seeing the fans spinning. Its not a boot as you described no image on monitor.

Also you need to list ALL you hardware.

Its ether bad ram, bad slot or bad PSU

Run Memtest :banghead:

95Viper says thanks.